Tyres and M.O.T.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDM

Hi, I'm a new member and this is my first submit. Can anyone give me any guidance as to tyre wear and expected mileage of tyres on my i3. Mine is fitted with the standard 19" Bridgestone ectopic EP500's and although only having covered 5500 miles the tread depth showing seems quite low. Also interested in Approx. Price I can expect to pay for replacements. I gather bridgestone's are the only option available. Lastly, will I have to pay the full 50 pounds (approx) price for my M.O.T. When it becomes due after 3 years? This seems rather a lot when compared to what has to be tested on a conventional car. With the i3 the test is going to be a very basic visual I imagine. Looking forward to any of your feedback.

As far as I've found, the only other company that makes a tire designed to fit the i3 is the Nokian R2 winter tire, no other all-season or summer performance tires. That may change eventually, but not as of yet. Can't really help you on the wear rate, I don't really have that many miles on mine which is used for mostly short trips.

MDM - I assume you are in UK, it helps to know? - As for the MOT, not much difference really as it’s only the Engine/Exhaust section thats omitted and that is only for the BEV.

Hi there

As of today, we've done 17,424 miles since March 1st last year. I checked tyre wear on both front and rear the other day and would say there are another 2k miles left in the rear, maybe 3k left in front. My wife and I are not mad drivers, we both like a slow, steady pace and don't accelerate too hard. Most of our journeys are 35-40 miles per day. I also usually take the i3 from UK to Germany about twice a year, which is a 800-1k mile roundtrip.

Back