UK Chargemaster v Polar

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

I'm just looking at charging points for a route and have come across something I don't understand.

I thought Chargemaster and Polar were one and the same, with Polar just being a brand/app name. However, looking at the Cheltenham area on the Polar Instant app shows three chargers at Cheltenham racecourse, all at £7.50 per 30 mins, one of which is a CCS. But looking at the Chargemaster (alias BMW ChargeNow) live map doesn't show the racecourse at all, just a couple of chargers at the Toyota dealer, this doesn't appear on Polar Instant.

Can anybody shed any light on this please?

Strange that both sites are not showing both stations but in my experience polar is part of chargemaster and my Chargenow card from bmw has worked on polar charge points. I must add that charging has not been guaranteed, last week in Milton keynes 3 polar stations failed to charge :(

What I have pieced together, could be wrong...

Polar, ChargeMaster, and ChargeNow are all interrelated, though not exclusively. Polar does the physical equipment; ChargeMaster does the hardware installation; ChargeNow does public infrastructure end-user delivery network. Polar equipment is used by other hardware installation companies and other end-user delivery networks. AFAIK, at one point ChargeMaster was doing both installation and end-user delivery and was, in some way, merged by ChargeNow (likely bought as ChargeNow is the biggest single network globally). ChargeMaster still appears to do private end-user delivery, so those installations are not listed in the ChargeNow network.

Back