[UK] Dealer added costs

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1

Hi

I've a had a dealer quote that includes the following, on top of the purchase price and extras:

Public charging cable £165
Service Inclusive 5 years/60,000 miles £375
Number Plates £25.00
First Registration Fee £55
Delivery £650

Does anyone know:

1. If I can collect it (from?) and save the delivery fee
2. Do I need the Public charging cable (given I've opted for DC preparation? at £560)
3. Is there room to negotiate the servicing to be included by the dealer?

Thanks

Generally speaking the delivery fee is from the point of manufacture (Leipzig) so i doubt that will move. Mine is £675 but no extra forplates so it evens out.

The first registration fee is from the DVLA:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/new-registrations-fee

I must say i thought £375 servicing costs for 5 years was very cheap, my last car exceeded that cost easily in 1 year!

Yes I know what the reg cost is.

My wife's last car (alfa) had 5 years servicing 'free' as did the quote she just got on an Audi A1.

The cost seems high to me given they shouldn't need much servicing...? But I haven't put too much thought into it.

Any ideas on the cable?

Its odd that the service cost is the same for the BEV and the REX. However 'free' servicing offers are usually a discount by another name when sales need a lift.

Not sure about the cable though, i assumed the public chargers had the cable on site and attached? Can anyone confirm?

Assuming this is the blue type-2 to type-2 cable, it's pretty good value and you will need it to charge from public 16A or 32A charging stations.

In the UK our fast (or slow) charging stations (3-7 hours) are all moving to Type 2 sockets, so you need a cable to use them. Rapid chargers (30 minutes) are different and do have the cable attached.

There are alternative cables around which may have some advantages in length and general slinkyness, but the BMW one is surprisingly well priced and comes with a nice carry bag.

I didn't opt for servicing, whether or not I'll live to regret that is yet to be determined :)

It's shame you have to carry around cables. Does anyone have a photo of how much boot space they take up? Does it mean we'll need two cables for the DC and non DC charge points?

kc1 said:
It's shame you have to carry around cables. Does anyone have a photo of how much boot space they take up? Does it mean we'll need two cables for the DC and non DC charge points?

There is plenty of room in the front under the bonnet (hood) for the cables. DC charge points have the cable attached, so this is just for the AC points. You'll have two AC cables, one with the integrated EVSE for slow charging from domestic sockets and the type 2 cable for faster public charging.

The car comes supplied at no extra cost with a cable to charge from your standard domestic 3 pin plug socket.

You don't need a cable for "rapid" DC charging (this will be on the charger).

You have been quoted £165 for the "Type 2" charger which is the common form of 32amp "fast" public charging available. You may not need this.

Thanks for the info. I'm what BMW's 165GBPP public charging cable option is like compared with 3rd party cables - do any prevent theft? (can't see that referenced in the other threads here)

kc1 said:
Hi

I've a had a dealer quote that includes the following, on top of the purchase price and extras:

Public charging cable £165
Service Inclusive 5 years/60,000 miles £375
Number Plates £25.00
First Registration Fee £55
Delivery £650

Does anyone know:

1. If I can collect it (from?) and save the delivery fee
2. Do I need the Public charging cable (given I've opted for DC preparation? at £560)
3. Is there room to negotiate the servicing to be included by the dealer?

Thanks
I think this is fairly standard with BMW but if you are not expecting it then it feels like a bit of a dig.

These should have been itemised under "Other Items". I have found that like the other posts there is usually no move in the delivery charge as that goes to BMW AG not the dealer. Mine is £675 so you have a deal. The registartion fee goes to DVLA and the plates....£25. Maybe i paid for plates twice. I find that other dealers bundle and hide all these things to make you feel good. BMW tends to be straight and thereby slightly blunt about all these items that go elsewhere. That can feel a little rough after the purchase price. But nothing is hidden.

I have asked if I could do a European delivery. NA get to do it and apparently lots of UK ask but I think they want to keep it exclusive so no deal on avoiding that.

I have debated the maintenance. I think that the £375 for 5 years seemed reasonable compared with my 5 series and labour costs are always in front of inflation. I didn't take the fully inclusive at £1275 as I think that brakes and tyres can be covered in that difference.

The cable. Everyone thinks it's a reasonable deal. I will probably go for it.

Hope that helps and that the dealer isn't making you feel uncomfortable about all this.

As others have said the BMW public access charging point cable seems to be cheap compared to others. It fits in the front boot (froot) together with the emergency tyre inflation kit. You can also fit the standard charger in there too.

You do not need the public access charging cable if you are only ever going to charge from public charging points using the supplied UK 3 pin charger (slow charging 8-12 hours) or use DC rapid charging. However there are many many more type 2 charging points which will charge in 3-5 hours than there are DC points and for most of them you need your own cable. During charging it is locked both to the car and to the charging point. The car unlocks when you unlock the vehicle and the charging point unlocks when you present the card you initiated charging with at the end of the charging session.

Even though you have spec'd the car with the DC charging option the opportunity to use it is currently very limited. That will change. You need to look at your planned usage to know whether you will need public type 2 charging and if you do, you very likely will need the cable.

Bill

kc1 said:
Thanks for the info. I'm what BMW's 165GBPP public charging cable option is like compared with 3rd party cables - do any prevent theft? (can't see that referenced in the other threads here)

It's a good price compared to third party cables.

I think that cables get locked into the charger and the car when charging...

Back