UK - Gap Insurance / Electric Packages

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie94bc

I'm still waiting for the dealership to come back to be with a quote but I'm wondering whether anyone managed to take out gap insurance with an i3 on a lease (and if so how much did it cost)??

I'd also be interested to know if anyone considered (or has) taken out the electric packages. They seem very expensive for what they are - and I notice they have to be taken out within 30 days of registration of the car.

My insurance policy includes new for old in the first year, and my broker quoted £80 to cover years 2 and 3 which I only need pay at the end of year 1. I didn't take any of the packages for the following reasons:

- service element didn't make sense financially as I have a 3 year lease and the car will only need to be serviced once. My service indicator is showing 1st service due December 2015!

- charging access - don't really need it as most of my journeys are short and happy to go for a pay as you go card

- access to other bmw's - points work put more expensive than going to a regular rental company and in any case we have a diesel engined car in the family so no real need.

That was my reasoning with the packages... plus the BMW Access thing you have to be 21 for a 1 series or 25 for everything else (I'm 19 so that's just money down the drain for a year and a bit).

Unfortunately my age prevents me from shopping around for insurance like that! Stuck with Admiral as they're 1/3 of the price of the nearest competitor.

Back