UK Govt Charge Point Grant and BMW 32Amp charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecoangel

REF: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-chargepoint-grant-guidance-for-chargepoint-suppliers

Does this mean Govt will fund 75% of charge point ordered with BMW UK? I see Schneider Electric are an approved supplier.

I think the £375 price of the BMW unit is after the grant.

You can get less gucci models for less; British Gas do a free of charge (sorry!) 16A unit and a 32A unit for (IIRC) under £100.

BMW's charger is too expensive. It is huge too. No reason for it to be so big.

It isn't water proof either. Outdoor installations require constructing a shelter.

There are alternatives.

AndrewDebbie said:
BMW's charger is too expensive. It is huge too. No reason for it to be so big.
It isn't water proof either. Outdoor installations require constructing a shelter.

There are alternatives.

Hello AndrewDebbie,

I need to install an outdoor charger. Can you recommend any alternatives to BMW charger which is water proof ?

thank you,

regards,
ken

Chargemaster did mine, a very prompt and professional service. These can be installed outside and tidy the cable unlike the BMW one.

http://www.chargemasterplc.com

russtyjames said:
Chargemaster did mine, a very prompt and professional service. These can be installed outside and tidy the cable unlike the BMW one.

http://www.chargemasterplc.com

Hello Rustyjames,

What specification I should provide to Chargemaster. Do they already know what fast charger fits BMW i3?

2. Will the BMW dealer have any issues with it as they have already agreed to fit my charger?

regards,
ken

1 - If you mention that your are buying a BMW I3 they will know what charger, Its a type 2 tethered 32A that I had installed.

2 - Not sure, I guess the dealer can confirm. My dealer had no issue with me fitting a 3rd party charging point, I also tested it with the I3 overnight and it worked great.

russtyjames said:
1 - If you mention that your are buying a BMW I3 they will know what charger, Its a type 2 tethered 32A that I had installed.

Hello russtyjames,

Thank you for the info.

1.Is 32A is the fast charger which charges in 3 hours?
2.Can you post some photos of the charge console?

regards,
ken

I ordered my charger from British Gas. 99ukp for the fast charger and can fit in about 2-3 weeks. Felt like a better value option to me.

kentheteaman said:
russtyjames said:

Hello russtyjames,

Thank you for the info.

1.Is 32A is the fast charger which charges in 3 hours?
2.Can you post some photos of the charge console?

regards,
ken

1 - Yup the 32A is the fast charger that takes 3-4 hours
2 - Photo below, this is the only one I have as it was being connected

It can be installed outside, I wished I had now as the cable won't reach if the cars parked forward on the drive! I believe it's the same one and company that British Gas use.

Back