UK GOVT EV Home Charger Grant suspended

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecoangel

http://www.evmotion.co.uk/news/

and

Elm EV state:

"The Domestic EV charge point grant was up for ministerial review at the beginning of June and regretfully we had to postpone all of our appointments. We apologise for all inconvenience caused by this and we can say we would not have done this had it not have been for matters out of our control. The grant at this moment is still on pause we are working with our partners and manufacturers Rolec EV as the North East's only core installers to get the grant back up and running again as soon as possible.

May we remind all customers that have received a subsidised EV charge point it must remain switched on for three years as per the terms and conditions of the agreement. OLEV have made us aware that a certain amount of our customers have switched them off - and to remind you to please switch them back on again even if you have no intention of using them. The unit costs 9.6p per year in electric when in standby by mode. The unit is designed to stay on regardless of the amount of use and OLEV can claw back funding at any time if the charge points installed on the grant scheme fail to show that they are live.

Elm EV Ltd appreciate your help in this matter - if you have any questions please get it touch on 0191 415 9730 and we'll answer any queries that you may have."

I recall the bit about providing data on usage for three years but I don't recollect having to have it switched on continuously. Mmmmmm.

So I guess the installer gets the "claw back" of the grant not the consumer? Judging by them writing this in such a pleading fashion. Otherwise why would they care if it was all the consumers' issue? OLEV not having a contract with the consumer means they can't take enforcement action?

Very interesting.

My understanding was that any jobs booked could be completed, but new jobs can not be accepted unless of course you pay full. I am guessing that the grant will come back later in year with a bunch of new strings attached similar to the new scheme for Biomass boilers etc, to try and curtail any perceived abuse.

Not saying that what you've posted isn't true but I have just had my application accepted and booked in for fitting on the 4th July.

Maybe whoever is taking the bookings hasn't read your post... :D :mrgreen:

I think what has happened here is that British Gas sourced a good number of branded Chargemaster/Polar units. They are branded with British Gas logo. So if they pre purchased a whole lot then they will still have them in stock. I read another forum that indicated the installer had only ever received 5 units since last Novemebr so wasn't able to fulfil orders.

I can't find any form of official announcement that the grant has been suspended. Look at the official website: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-for-low-emission-vehicles. Nothing there at all. Can anyone else find anything official to validate the story?

More context here but no official announcement http://transportevolved.com/2014/05/23/uk-government-temporarily-halts-domestic-charging-station-program-ahead-ministerial-review/

Sounds like its the OFT that triggered the suspension and not OLEV itself. That said I haven't been able to find anything official on OFT site either.

bishbosh said:
If your asking me I booked with British Gas.

Ah OK, I have not been able to get the British Gas website to accept the order, goes to a force.com error page on submit.

Have tried on all browsers and Mac /PC, same result. Phone number helpline said they cannot do, must use website!

Just trying to get a company to do it but not super responsive to calls/emails.
Thinking of just buying a Rolec 32amp unit for £350 though my company and getting local sparky to fit.

I had a message to call Chargemaster today about my application, I'm sure it's fine and it's just this company for what ever reason.

Well when i read on this forum that they had suspended the grant i phoned and booked a 7 kw chargemaster charger..
Today i got confirmation that it will be installed next tuesday 24 th June...So i am very happy :)..

I wanted the unit installed in the cellar ..but he said that is not allowed because of earthing issues?...I also went for the tethered option...

Rob

Ryan said:
I have just received the following email from the OLEV team -

We are aware that there has been some information circulated by some suppliers about the future of the scheme. A £10 million budget was allocated for the scheme this financial year, with the scheme ending either in March 2015 or when the budget is exhausted, whichever is soonest. The popularity of the scheme and the consequent very high level of claims means that the current budget will be exhausted far sooner than anticipated.

We are therefore currently discussing the future of the scheme with Ministers and aim to make an announcement as soon as possible.

The scheme guidance makes clear that grant claims for chargepoints installed up to the date of any public announcement detailing any grant changes or the end of the scheme will be honoured against the conditions prior to such an announcement (subject to meeting all relevant criteria set out in the guidance document which can be viewed at https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...oint-grant-guidance-for-chargepoint-suppliers

The Office for Low Emission Vehicles Team

Mark said:
Hi,

Just to clarify, we work partly in conjunction with Manufacturers and also have our own accreditation direct with OLEV.

From what I can understand, Rolec were the first to issue a statement on the matter advising that OLEV may be changing and an announcement was imminent, so all outstanding installs had to be completed and claimed by 04/06/2014 otherwise missing out on the grant.

obviously many installers heard about this and started panicking, POD Point picked up on this and following dialogue with OLEV announced to their installers that nothing was happing just yet and to carry on regardless as they would get 3 months notice. Typical POD Point.

OLEV then issued the statement as above, they are revising the grant and an announcement will be made in due course....

It is clear that this grant will either end or more than likely change before the original date of March 2015.... when this will happen we don't know, but we will be given some notice.
Mark
Director @ nuWorld Energy Ltd

Visit our store for EV charging accessories at http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop.php
nuWorld Energy, Today at 7:13 PM Report#268Unlike+ QuoteReply

So. It's still on. Not suspended. But running out. Heated debate on the speakEV forum reproduced above.

Just to complete the loop for anybody who might have missed it via other sites.

- The current scheme will expire on June 30th 2014, but has been extended to 31 August 2014.

- New scheme will start 1st September 2014 to 31st March 2015 (or until the pot of money runs out)
The grant will remain as a 75% contribution to the cost of chargepoint installation but there will be a new lower grant cap of £900. Householders must also be able to provide evidence of ownership of, or access to, a plug-in vehicle in order to be able to qualify for the grant.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...323459/domestic-recharging-grant-guidance.pdf

Back