Update on KLE replacement problem

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
In the industry, a recall (at least in the USA) is done for safety reasons and monitored and sometimes initiated by the government. A service campaign is a voluntary thing done at the discretion of the car manufacturer. The KLE is a service campaign, and is totally at the discretion of the car manufacturer. FWIW, and I've said this before, not everyone saw slower recharging...in my case, since it's been cold (it is winter here after all), I was getting the full capacity of my EVSE, a bit over 7Kw even with the original limiting software - IOW, mine may only be very slightly marginally higher (a few hundred watts) now. It may be how I drive my car...literally short distances and the internals don't get hot enough for the software to limit the recharge rate in combination with the chilly ambient temps here. I was seeing 29A on my EVSE to the i3 before, and slightly more, maybe 29.3A peak now. Now, I have not monitored it long-term - only spot checked, and I've not had the new KLE more than a few weeks. Plus, I don't drive all that much to need to recharge it! Only have about 1800 miles on it since late June 2014. I bought it to save my ICE from all of the short trips.

Thanks for the info. How are you measuring the amps used by your charger? I have the Leviton 9.6kw charger (no LCD panel or way to measure rate built in). I found that driving short distances it is less efficient than if I take a long trip. I have over 8k miles in my REx, with the gas generator only coming on 2 times, and I do not use the heat or the air conditioner. Was averaging 5.1 mi per kwh, but with cold weather it has gone down some. I got the car at the end of May.

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but for less than $20 on Amazon, I bought a panel mount volt/amp meter, and installed it in the electrical junction box that feeds my EVSE. I added an on/off switch and a fuse, but those aren't technically required.

Latest posts

Back