US delays?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped by my dealer yesterday and didn't hear anything regarding delays. Still could prove true, however. My i3 is supposed to start production next week (Week 10), but it is showing a status of 047 - Spec. released which means it hasn't been queued up for production quite yet.

Are you guys all electranauts? I left an order with a deposit a month ago, and just received an update from the dealer stating I will only get production number in May. Too bad I really like the Mega all-white interior, so the launch edition is just not for me. I guess I'll have to wait for delivery until August or so.

Same here. I ordered the i3 Tera model, Laurel Gray with heated seats and fast charging.

It was scheduled for production of 3/10/2014 however dealership called saying that only certain i3 models were being built (I'm guessing Tera with all options as rumored) and Electronauts orders. Dealership also doesn't know when the car will go into production so most likely the possibility of a 3 month delay.

In terms of financing, he's unable to give me any concrete numbers for either leasing or finance. The only leasing ballpark number was $4000 down and $699 per month but that was just best guess.

The first three months production will be the Electronaut Edition and Launch Edition cars only. If you have a custom order in production won't begin till the end of May or more likely beginning of June.

If this launch-edition-only rumor proves true, BMW NA is guilty of false advertising.

They been pushing the $41,350 base MSRP for months. But if they import only the fully loaded version for sale to the public, the advertised base should be $50,875. At least for the initial period. It's a tactic that's also known as bait and switch. I hope the FTC pursues the matter.

Not trying to defend BMW, but loaded "launch editions" are common, and certainly not bait and switch. You can order whatever you want... you just have to wait a bit longer.

If I ran BMW and had to answer to shareholders, I would use the same launch strategy.

If you advertise a product at a certain price but make it impossible for the general public to buy it at that price, that's bait and switch. It's defined by the FTC and has nothing to do with shareholders. My point was that if the rumors of Terra-only launch editions proved true, BMW NA would be guilty of deceptive advertising for a few months.

Since posting, I've gotten confirmation that the Terra-only rumor is, in fact, false. A vehicle in the Giga configuration I want was manufactured last week. I received a print out from the order system this morning. It shows the VIN, Order Status: 155 Assembly Finish, Priority: 1, and my name as customer. The dealer tells me to expect delivery in the second wave, after the Electronauts have theirs.

I suspect but have no proof that a single base Mega will show up somewhere in the initial batch so on paper at least BMW will be in compliance with FTC standards. Still it's likely that most of the vehicles that arrive at dealers unsold will be those fully-loaded Terras.

I am in Southern California and have been informed that there is a two week delay. Since I was originally given an April window for delivery, we are still close to what I was originally cited. Besides being anxious to receive my i3, I am relatively happy as I expected a delay or two with something as new as the i3.

I ordered a Tera with every option (including the 20" wheels), minus the REx, and my order was still delayed 3 months. I'm going to wait for the car, but I can definitely see how this could turn off some buyers.

Just for the record, I was just given a confirmed build date of 4/18. My understanding is that I am in the first group for US orders after the Electronauts.

Buskraut said:
Just for the record, I was just given a confirmed build date of 4/18. My understanding is that I am in the first group for US orders after the Electronauts.

My build date was moved up to April 18 as well. The thing that worries me now is that my sales guy told me that BMW may hold the April cars in port until the June run is complete and then release them all at the same time. Has anyone else heard this? I just want the freaking car already :D

My i3 REx entered production today April 14. The production number is #0608630, ordered in mid-Feb from BMW of Monterrey, CA. The production date is inline with the original date communicated by the dealer, so looks like little or no delay from plan. The configuration is the "Launch Package" - Tera World, Tech & Parking Packages, etc.

interesting, my i3 Rex is production #: 0608162 and the track my BMW doesn't show mine in production yet

Back