US high-beam bulbs?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfanning

Our 2017 BEV has horrible high-beam bulbs, very poor light output. The OEM bulbs make almost no difference over the LED low-beam light output.

Are there LED or halogen bulbs that provide good light output? Maybe the reflectors are just poor?

I think the reflectors are rubbish. I've replaced the bulbs with higher power LEDs and much of the light scatters sideways and downward. They are just not designed to focus the light at longer distances which is no surprise given that the car is a low speed city car.

If I could find an aftermarket set of small driving spots that would be unobtrusive, I'd seriously consider fitting them.

Not all bulbs are created equal. It's not just their wattage or lumens, it's how their beam is spread around. Some bulbs end up quite directional, some are more omnidirectional. To work as designed, the bulb's exact position and light pattern must be correct for the reflector. Moving it slightly forward or backwards, or not using lots of elements to get the same beam spread, and you can easily be disappointed.

Back