Vehicle display vs. app charging status discrepancy

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RExingIT

Just went out and have my REx a shot from a lvl 2 for about 40 mins over lunch.

The app said it would be done charging at 1:11 pm. I hit unlock on the car and it said it would be done at 12:53 pm.

It finished at 12:53. Just before that, the app still said 1:11 pm. Any one else noticed this discrepancy?

RExingIT said:
Just went out and have my REx a shot from a lvl 2 for about 40 mins over lunch.

The app said it would be done charging at 1:11 pm. I hit unlock on the car and it said it would be done at 12:53 pm.

It finished at 12:53. Just before that, the app still said 1:11 pm. Any one else noticed this discrepancy?

Not time but you will find many other ones, including the estimated range. The one from the app will be all over the place compared to the estimated range from the car.

The car does not update the server all that frequently, so it is likely that value displayed on the app was from when the car was first plugged in, triggering a server update. CHanges along the way may not trigger an update. Not saying it is the greatest way to handle things, but it may be part of their agreement with their data carrier. What would be interesting would be to note the app's time of last update...my guess is that that would have been awhile before you actually got back to the car, triggering the discrepancy. I do not know of an easy way to trigger an update from remote...maybe send it a flash the lights command?

jadnashuanh said:
The car does not update the server all that frequently, so it is likely that value displayed on the app was from when the car was first plugged in, triggering a server update. CHanges along the way may not trigger an update. Not saying it is the greatest way to handle things, but it may be part of their agreement with their data carrier. What would be interesting would be to note the app's time of last update...my guess is that that would have been awhile before you actually got back to the car, triggering the discrepancy. I do not know of an easy way to trigger an update from remote...maybe send it a flash the lights command?

I've detailed thus elsewhere, the error is while its up to date. The remote shows tine of last update so it's easy to check. It overestimates range by 10-20 miles during tail end of charge, then drops back. Also have seen it fluctuate by 10 miles when car is not in use or charging.

My best guess is the online system uses its own algorithm separate from the car and ages data out simply by calendar time, explaining some of the shifts while car is idle.

epirali said:
jadnashuanh said:

I've detailed thus elsewhere, the error is while its up to date. The remote shows tine of last update so it's easy to check. It overestimates range by 10-20 miles during tail end of charge, then drops back. Also have seen it fluctuate by 10 miles when car is not in use or charging.

My best guess is the online system uses its own algorithm separate from the car and ages data out simply by calendar time, explaining some of the shifts while car is idle.

I agree, the app is updating as the SOC is advancing, but the completion time and the range estimate both vary between the app and the car. I did not notice this until my last software update in June of this year, but it happens all the time now. Once set the completion time does not change on the app, but does on the car. We know that the car charging program was redesigned to slow down around the final 10% of the way to a full charge, but this does not explain why the app does not keep up with the car info screen.

mindmachine said:
epirali said:
jadnashuanh said:

I agree, the app is updating as the SOC is advancing, but the completion time and the range estimate both vary between the app and the car. I did not notice this until my last software update in June of this year, but it happens all the time now. Once set the completion time does not change on the app, but does on the car. We know that the car charging program was redesigned to slow down around the final 10% of the way to a full charge, but this does not explain why the app does not keep up with the car info screen.

It may be the simple decision to run two parallel algorithms rather than reach out and read the cars GOM. The Leaf was almost always right in line between app and car, so I'm guessing they got the number from car.

It seems trivial, but something as fundamental of the range (even if it is not highly accurate) should match, if for no other reason as to give the driver a sense of reliability. Otherwise it is confusing.

For some odd reason my car now only updates the server every 4-6 hours or so... anyone else have this issue?

Back