Weird experience with i3 REx

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizi3

A weird thing happened while waiting for my son after school. I had the i3 parked and idling. The car was running with the heated seats, heater (auto mode), radio, my seat belt engaged and in Eco Pro Mode. I bent over to tie my shoe and suddenly, the car's doors un-locked and the both windows slide down to open. I first thought I pressed the unlock and window buttons while bending over, so I tried the movements again. Not just once, but three times the door unlocked and both windows went down.

Since my son's bus was going to be late, I drove to a local Kwik Trip about 1/2 mile away. Parked the car, turning off all lights and locking the door. When I came out, the car's alarm was triggered and both doors were unlock with both windows rolled down.

I really don't know what triggered this to happen, because no one else was in the car besides me. Weird!?

Any comments?

Could the extension of the seat belt be triggering some kind of safety script embedded in the software? If any of the airbags fire, the doors automatically unlock, hazard lights go on, and (I think) it autodials the SOS phone contact? But pulling out the seatbelt? I do it all the time with car seats. Very puzzling.

Have you done any coding to the car? I have, and once I mistakenly left the OBD cable plugged in before locking the car, and it set off the alarm. The alarm was intermittent and stopped only after I re-coded, disconnected the cable and then turned off the car.

Hi,

it could be that you inadvertedly 'long pressed' the 'open' button on the key fob (pants pocket perhaps ?). This unlocks the car and opens the windows.

Regards, Steven

I was just going to post that suggestion. The day after I got my car I parked it in front of my friend's house and his neighbor starts yelling during the pouring rain that all my windows were down. As it turns out I probably sat on the remote. Soon thereafter I got one of the i key covers and it seems to help (I believe someone else on this board had a similar issue that was fixed with this solution)

I was driving one day and the alarm went off. The fob was in my jacket pocket in just such a manor that the alarm button got pressed.

I installed a fob cover on mine so that it covers the buttons (comfort access, so accessing buttons isn't normally needed), and my phantom issues went away.

Back