Welcome to the BMW i3 Forum

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took delivery on day 2 of Rex availability in the USA. Solar Orange Rex, Mega Trim (everything else was spoken for). Still learning about the iConnect. Driving down the 5-freeway in San Diego, noticed several lookie-loos...and it certainly isn't because of my dashing good looks. :? :? :?

This is my 3rd EV; traded in a Chevy Spark that we'd beat to heck. Now have a Toyota( /Tesla?) Rav4Ev and BMW i3. 2 Level2 chargers at home in the garage...getting quotes now for solar panels to make the energy company pay ME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way, here in San Diego, when going to the EV tiered rate plan, my monthly electric bill actually has gone down. I made sure I run my pool filter at night now, and we don't use A/C often (3 miles from the Pacific Ocean heat sink)...but a 3100 square foot house and nightly charging the Spark EV has resulted in a whopping $150/mo bill from the utility (and that includes natural gas). Saving money is great...being early adopters and encouraging innovation is awesome!

Hi Everyone,

Just like to say G'day from sunny Queensland in Australia, I have ordered an I3 with the range extender and it is currently due sometime around November this year and while there is a bit of a delay in the Australian production I am really excited for the cars arrival.

Look forward to keeping in touch with other i3 owners and interested people about this very innovative car

isettaman said:
Hi Everyone,

Just like to say G'day from sunny Queensland in Australia, I have ordered an I3 with the range extender and it is currently due sometime around November this year and while there is a bit of a delay in the Australian production I am really excited for the cars arrival.

Look forward to keeping in touch with other i3 owners and interested people about this very innovative car

Hey... congratulations on your order you have done us all proud... its an awesome machine and I love every moment behind the wheel.. This is a great forum for news and help. As more and more of us have our i3's delivered we add massively to experience and knowledge of the group... i look forward to hearing your experiences but meanwhile ask anything which comes to mind.

It's great to find a forum regarding the BMW I3. So I am in the midst of purchasing one. I am one of those that needs to have all my ducks in a line before I make the purchase / lease. So I am first procuring a garage charging station...

Question, if this is the place for such a question, are all 208-240 7.2 kw chargers compatible with the I3? For example is the Clippercreek HCS 40 a viable charging option? Is there any reason to buy the BMW charger vs. an off the shelf unit like a Bosch or Clippercreek? Are the charging plugs on all charging units (to the I3) a standard type connection plug to the vehicle?

Recycledoug said:
It's great to find a forum regarding the BMW I3. So I am in the midst of purchasing one. I am one of those that needs to have all my ducks in a line before I make the purchase / lease. So I am first procuring a garage charging station...

Question, if this is the place for such a question, are all 208-240 7.2 kw chargers compatible with the I3? For example is the Clippercreek HCS 40 a viable charging option? Is there any reason to buy the BMW charger vs. an off the shelf unit like a Bosch or Clippercreek? Are the charging plugs on all charging units (to the I3) a standard type connection plug to the vehicle?

They all *should* work. So far the only one I have heard any compatibility issues with are Leviton units and even with those it seems to work for some people, and not others. I'm helping to get BMW, the customers with problems, and Leviton together to try to sort this out.

So far I've charged my i3 with ClipperCreek, AeroVironment, Blink and ChargePoint equipment without any issues.

Recycledoug said:

The Clipper Creek is a great choice. We have two CS-80s at my work and I have an LCS-25 at my house for my Leaf. The 120V unit that comes with the i3 is made by Clipper Creek also.

Hello Everyone,
We recently purchased the BEV in Tera trim from our local Seattle dealer. Thank you all for your comments and insights. You have been (and continue to be) a tremendous resource.

The dealer says we should take delivery in August. I'm a bit dubious given some of the experiences posted on this site. Hopefully BMW is ramping up production!

I'll post pics once I take delivery and I'm sure I'll be posing questions in the meantime.

Best,
ADM

Gonville said:
mark1 said:
Hi everyone,

Just ordered i3 REx after a few months decision making, looking forward to October 14 delivery. :D

Mark.

Good move! You didn't fancy a panda to match the other two then? That would look good in the drive. Hybrid.

Haha - funnily enough that did cross my mind - what happened when the white M3 accidentally got let loose in the black X3's paddock while we weren't looking.

Anyway, have had home survey done by Schneider now for the Pure Wallbox, all looking OK for 7kw, although some extra earthing required to cost an extra £130. That now booked in for October install. On another note, there must be loads of celebrity i3 drivers jumping the queue, my car has been put back from October to December delivery now. :cry:

mark1 said:
Gonville said:
mark1 said:
Hi everyone,

Just ordered i3 REx after a few months decision making, looking forward to October 14 delivery. :D

Mark.

Good move! You didn't fancy a panda to match the other two then? That would look good in the drive. Hybrid.

Haha - funnily enough that did cross my mind - what happened when the white M3 accidentally got let loose in the black X3's paddock while we weren't looking.

Anyway, have had home survey done by Schneider now for the Pure Wallbox, all looking OK for 7kw, although some extra earthing required to cost an extra £130. That now booked in for October install. On another note, there must be loads of celebrity i3 drivers jumping the queue, my car has been put back from October to December delivery now. :cry:

Don't worry to much... mine was moved from April to June and it turned up in may.

Hello,

I just bought today a used loaded Giga with 132 miles on it. I shall be picking it up next Friday. It is nearly 100 miles from my home. I am planning a route to charge once along the way. It said it has a 72 mile range with what should be a full charge. I've got a week to get up to speed. I am excited about this brave new world.

Scott

Test drove the i3 during the corporate roadshow back in March, wow was I hooked. Been reading, researching and thinking about it since then, I have never owned anything but an ice car. Well today I ordered a fully loaded BMW i3 Tera World, Laurel Grey, dalbergia brown leather, 19" wheels, parking asst package, technology + driving asst package, heated seats, Harman/Kardon sound and DC fast charge. Looking forward to tracking the production and hopefully having the car mid August. Let the adventure begin. Really appreciate this forum.

I've already posted several times, but should introduce myself to the gang, just in case anyone really wants or needs to know.

I'm a 40+ year BMW driver and rider and have retired from an agency I helped invent (NYS Energy Research and Development Authority) as the head of R&D communications. As such, I have been laboring over plug-in descriptions for a long time--indeed, exceeding the life of some of our prime conversion and supplier contractors. And to boot, the charging stations were right outside my office window, so I've seen pretty much all of it from the nascent start of BEVs and converted hybrids to now owning an REx myself.

I missed the factory tour but had a demo arranged quickly by one of our local dealers (we have two in a smallish metro area!) and I was satisfied immediately that, first and foremost, it was a BMW. I had been considering selling my 04 545 6-speed, and figured this would be "interesting" enough for me to drive so that I would not miss that stealth rocket. So, the 545 is for sale and I have 300+ miles on mine, but have yet to engage the extender (though it did pop on for a periodic run).

I'm persuaded that I made the right choice. Other than fretting over the loss of a sunroof, and not really spending a lot of time researching term leasing, I'm very pleased. Once my Level 2 station is installed, my charge aggravation (as I call the extension cord/Level 1 unit in an old kitty litter box shoved under the car--no garage) will be only a teething memory.

Appreciate the availability of this forum and all the wisdom expressed herein. Thank you. :D

The lease on my 135i / 6M (w Dinan stg II software) ended in June. It has been my favorite day to day car of all time and following a very long line of BMW's going back to 1975.

This is my first post on this forum though I have expressed my views regarding the i3 on other sites. I had been reading (everything i could find) on the i3, and in a wait and see move, bought the 135i out of the lease last June. I drove the i3 at the first local test event and I was truly impressed with how it drove, the cool interior, it's compact proportions (I live in San Francisco), and the impressive technology and design. I want to make it work, but . . . .

I just can't get my arms around the range issue. 98 to 99% of the time I would be well within the battery range. That said I have a few weekends where I drive over 150 miles without an opportunity to plug in. I could take my wife's 328i wagon though most of those times I leave she would be heading off a similar distance.

They hooked me with the world version rex and then gave us the hobbled USA version. It truly makes me mad because they really captured my passion. I could tolerate the work-a rounds associated with occasional travel if I had control over the rex motor and the slightly more usable gas tank of the rex everyone else gets. That said I don't think the current setup will get me safely (and sanely) to and from my destinations on these periodic weekends.

So I continue to drive my 135i burning premium with reckless abandon. I have no need for an HOV sticker, just give us a third option, the world market rex. I'll lease it the day it arrives here.
1975 2002 Inka/blk, 1975 2002 Red/blk (lthr) (owned '77-'79), 1976 2002 blue/tan (lthr) (owned '80-'81), 1979 M1 Orange/blk (owned '82-'84), 1980 320iS Silver/blk, 1984 323i Drk blue/cream(European) E30, 1996 M3 White/blk E36, 1998 328i Silver/blk E46, 2002 330i Silver/blk E46, 2006 330i Silver/blk E90, 2008 335iSilver/blk E90, 2012 135i SGM/blk E82 (all with manual gearboxes)

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. Just reached 850 miles on my i3. Love the car, the freedom, and the sense of removing the dead weight anchor that kept me tied to gas. Next step is installing solar at the house to complete the cycle. Having issues like several do with the engine light. I've had the car updated to the latest software patch but the light appeared again today. Most recent experience was driving early AM heading into the sunlight, the pedestrian and frontal impact warning system failed. In essence the car could not "see" targets. Please keep the information coming as I'll do the same.

Regards,
BBi3Fan
2014 i3 REx Giga Frozen Blue

Hello everyone, just joined today but I've had my i3 Rex since July 4th. Lots of useful information here and I thought I would join the conversation. I just passed 3000 miles as of today. I have a 75 mile round trip commute to work and went through a bit of agony deciding on the BEV or the Rex version.

I originally thought the Rex would be the right one for me because of my commute and in California it was eligible for a green sticker for HOV access which was a must for my next vehicle. But before I could purchase the vehicle I wanted, California ran out of the 40000 available green stickers, so that basically killed the Rex for me at the time. I reconsidered the BEV and even managed to do an extended test drive so I could get a better feel for the range on the freeway at 75mph, in the heat, etc. I wanted assurance that I could do my 75 miles without a recharge even though a charger was installed at my place of work. Considering unknown effects due to weather, unknown degree of battery degradation over time, well you get the idea, too many darn unknowns. So I gave up on the BEV as well, thought it'd be a while before the right vehicle came along for me and hoped my old car would last for a while longer.

It turned out that CA allocated 15000 more green stickers on about July 1, the dealer had pretty much the exactly configured Rex on the lot, so I went for it, pushing the deal as quickly as possible so I could get the license plate number and other info I would need to get my green sticker application in as quickly as possible so I could get one of the 15000. To make a long story short the stars aligned for me on this and towards the end of July I got my green sticker. :D

I really like driving the i3 but it definitely has some quirks, some easy to live with and some which are getting to be pretty annoying and are on the verge of making me regret this decision. I hope BMW can work some of these bugs out and soon.

I will be posting more details under proper or new topics.

Neil

Hi Chaps and Chapesses!

Not an i3 owner but have had a couple of drives and would like one in the near future but for the anticipation of something else around the corner coming, maybe the Tesla X..........not sure yet.

But have recently bought an Audi A6 Hybrid, it was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a test drive in an Audi Q3......the Hybrid was sitting outside looking shiney and new, tempted to take a test drive and my wife said WE wanted it! :D

I am totally won over by the instant torque available (as I was in the i3) and the lovely smooth drive, also fun creeping up on pedestrians in ASDA car park :twisted:

Retired now and we don't do very many long journeys so petrol and or Hybrid/PHEV/EV is a perfect solution, just thinking about which type of "perfect" to go for!

Anyhoo, great site and some very interesting and informative reading........

I'm a bit late to this forum but it was not because of lack of range...more like charge time....anyway, had the MiniE and the ActiveE and now a Solar Orange i3 REx. So far so great.

Feel free to check out my blog at http://mybmwi3.blogspot.com/

BTW - if you have seen those i3 videos on a race track.....I was the passenger ;) This was the teaser vid...back in Oct 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDf6KIpwiMg

Thanks

Chris

Chris, I read your columns on Tom's blog. My only complaint--not enough of them. Please write more frequently. Thanks.

;) Hi to all. Don from central Virginia. I'm brand new to BMW. Picked up my 2014 Ionic Silver BEV i3 one week ago (091914). Current 2012 Prius Plug In owner since Jan 2013. Ten to fourteen EV miles just wasn't enough, but ICE range is unlimited and it's a keeper for now. Love the i3 and the large EV range. Former Corvette, MB SLK 55, Lexus IS owner. Older (64) and wiser regarding cars. The Prius is fun, but the i3 is a hoot. Retired US Air Force 1970 -1994, and Pawn Shop owner 1994 - present. No retirement plans as I enjoy material things. Thanks for all the great information.

Latest posts

Back