Welcome to the BMW i3 Forum

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long term commuter here and check my blog for updates and adventures looking for the next charge.

Marc

Hi everybody,

I lurked these forums for the past few weeks in the hunt for a new i3. I got (what I think is) a great deal on a 2014 i3 REX lease. Thanks for all of the great posts and sense of community. I bought it about 160 miles away from my house. The REX came in really handy for this trip home especially given the total lack of CSC chargers in the Pacific Northwest. I have been exceedingly happy thus far and will try to post more comments when I have more miles under my belt. My only gripe so far is that my indicated range seems to plummet during my first 5 miles of driving.

Here are the details:

White i3 REX
Giga package
Tech/Driving Assistant
Parking Assistant
HK Surround
Seat Heaters
Fast charger

I actually picked out this car because I really wanted the stock all seasons and 19" wheels. When I went home and washed/waxed the i3, I noticed I indeed do have 20" wheels/tires which were not documented in the sales price/ticket. While I did actually prefer the 19s, I'm not too upset about it.

Thanks again!

Estimated range is based on several things, but ambient temperature and the last 18-miles of your driving are the two biggest factors. Since early morning is often the coldest part of the day, if you do not set a departure time while on the EVSE, the battery will not be at its fullest possible level. Warming or cooling the car from sitting overnight can take a decent chunk of battery, so you'll see the worst hit immediately. Again, a reason to precondition things if you have the opportunity.

Our 2015 REx arrived home 4/25, so happy!
(hopefully the image works, oneDrive is finicky)

20150428_012803000_iOS.jpg

Hey Folks,
I have a white 2014 REx in Santa Monica, CA. Loving it so far. Charging for free at work so far.

Hi Everyone, just leased a 2014 i3 BEV last week in Southern California. The i3 is our 2nd EV, and our first one is Spark EV.
BMW%20i3-2_zpsrivxl1mh.jpg

Kia Ora!

FYI: The i3 started to go on sale here in Auckland, New Zealand, in November 2014. It's not yet had any advertising campaign, but my local guy (they're called "BMW Genius" when they are assigned to manage the i3 and i8 cars) tells me they've sold around 25 cars so far - a small but enthusiastic following. It may interest this forum to know that BMW New Zealand absolutely declined to bring in BEVs - the ONLY available model in New Zealand is the i3 with R-ex. That's the only limitation though! The BMW genius has even had one of his customers ask for the R-ex to be retro-unfitted! Apparently that's not do-able - but if that person joins this forum they may enquire as to that one.

I ordered mine 21st March 2015, it was built in Leipzig in April, loaded onto the vessel 'Endurance' on 3rd May, and it's arriving in Auckland on 13th June! Track and trace is good fun. Huge anticipation, cannot wait, etc etc. Very similar feelings to other forum members judging by the posts so far.

As far as I can see I'm the first member of this forum based in New Zealand. I went for the i3 for all the usual reasons and discovered this forum in hindsight - so to speak - so thanks for setting it up! I only do around 100kms per week with commuting 25-30km max per day - ideal conditions for BEVs. I feel very well educated about the i3 now. JUST GOTTA GET IT IN THE GARAGE!!! Pickup around 20th June. Not that I'm counting the days.

Last issue: EVSE range seems to be quite limited here in New Zealand. Much research has led me to suspect I'll have to go for the BMW Wallbox Pure if I want to get 32amp charging (which, even though I admittedly - given commuting distances- don't need, I want. A classic case of what my older brother calls "upgrade-itis"). Lower amperage EVSEs are available here but the 40+amp Clipper Creek and Juicebox EVSEs for example are not yet configured to the NZ Grid. Something about spilt-phase topology. Drat. Only other option is a 7kW Electrobay - waiting to hear from the local guy regarding that option.

Anyhow - I'm that much closer to being born electric since the start of this post. Hooray!

NHW

Capparis White, 20" wheels, Suite interior (leather and wood = ? "Tera" to North Americans) and sun-protection glazing. R-ex for reasons as above.
2009 Toyota Corolla (for 3 more weeks)
1998 Toyota Corona
1990 BMW 325i manual 4-door
1989 BMW 320i A4
1983 Audi GT Coupe

I'm officially an i3 owner! Went with the REx and though I had a deal in the works in another state for a Mega with a few options, the local dealer came down to nearly the same price on a Tera that has literally every option. :cool:

The car is awesome. I'm coming from a 2002 325 so the technology upgrade is mind-boggling.

Now to find an electrician for my garage sub panel! :p

Hi folks !

I'm looking forward to buy an i3 REX (next spring). Meanwhile I'm just gathering all infos I can on boards, reviews,...

After a trial of 3 hours a couple of weeks ago, I was so enthousiast about the car that I decided to create the first FRENCH forum entirely dedicated to BMW "i" series. (check my signature)

I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to chat here too, the english community seems quite big comparing to ours.

See you soon !

Brice

Brice said:
Hi folks !

I'm looking forward to buy an i3 REX (next spring). Meanwhile I'm just gathering all infos I can on boards, reviews,...

After a trial of 3 hours a couple of weeks ago, I was so enthousiast about the car that I decided to create the first FRENCH forum entirely dedicated to BMW "i" series. (check my signature)

I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to chat here too, the english community seems quite big comparing to ours.

See you soon !

Brice

Brice - welcome to the future. Brilliant idea to set up an i3 Forum for France.

Even though you have chosen a ReX you may still find this website on rapid CCS chargers in Europe useful www.ccs-map.eu produced by Mutwin Kraus. You will see that whilst Brittany and Western Loire is well covered as well as some areas to the east, most of France is without rapid CCS chargers. Anything you can do with your forum to encourage more CCS chargers would be much appreciated: you know how much us Brits love coming to France.

janner said:
Brice - welcome to the future. Brilliant idea to set up an i3 Forum for France.

Even though you have chosen a ReX you may still find this website on rapid CCS chargers in Europe useful http://www.ccs-map.eu produced by Mutwin Kraus. You will see that whilst Brittany and Western Loire is well covered as well as some areas to the east, most of France is without rapid CCS chargers. Anything you can do with your forum to encourage more CCS chargers would be much appreciated: you know how much us Brits love coming to France.

Thank you janner ! And thank you for the CCS suggestion. I'll see what I decide for this later :)

Just picked up my brand new 2015 Bev this afternoon. Mega World Laurel Grey with parking and 20" sport wheels.

The adventure begins.

Propman said:
Just picked up my brand new 2015 Bev this afternoon. Mega World Laurel Grey with parking and 20" sport wheels.

The adventure begins.

Picking up the exact same combination Saturday afternoon. Hopefully you aren't in South Florida ;)

Depending on where you live, keep in mind that the 20" wheels only come with SUMMER performance tires, and don't really like cold and definitely don't like snow or ice.

I'll be picking up a Black & White REX with Tech and Driving Assist packages (but remarkably no backup camera) tomorrow morning. Snow and Ice here in Minnesota - We'll see how that rear wheel drive does in the slop!

UPDATE:

Picked it up this morning. Other than the dealer putting the wrong email address into the BMW Assist so that I can't access any of the cool APPs, this as been a fun day!

Initial Likes:

Driving the thing. Wow. Love the one pedal driving. Love.
The cruise control that basically drives the car for you. I couldn't get over that. That was the coolest.
The heated seats - FAST and very warm. Cozy, even. It's cold in Minnesota.
The wooden dashboard. I love that.
The sound. I didn't get the upgraded HK sound, but the sound was fantastic.
The fact that I FINALLY figured out how to use the garage door opener.

Initial Dislikes:

The doors - Not kid friendly. I didn't think about that when I signed the lease - Kids have to wait for Daddy to open the door to get out. This is going to be frustrating, I fear.
The location of the EV charging port. Exactly the opposite of my previous EV (Ford Focus Electric)
No backup camera - This is going to take a while to get used to.
The doors. Did I mention the doors?

Hello everyone!

I just took delivery of my i3 REx. its a Giga in Capparis White + Tech Package. I'm coming from a MINI Cooper S so it feels very spacious inside :D

I have so many questions, level 1 or 2? which level 2 unit? tire pressures? coding!?! ;)

Looking forward to learning all the lingo and squeezing out every extra mile of range!

Back