Well, that didn't take long! Check engine light is on.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobJones

On Monday, Dec. 7 I took delivery of a new 2015 i3 REX with 14 miles on the odometer. It's now Wednesday, Dec. 9 with 124 miles, and when I got in it today to run some errands, the Check Engine light came on when I booted it up.

I'm used to seeing the CEL on a BMW (I've had a bunch of them - usually older ones), but really? I can barely go 100 miles on a brand new car? Is there some common thing this might be? The dealer is about 30 minutes away and I'd hate to waste the electrons if it's something simple and easy to take of myself. Are there any built-in diagnostics that can tell me what's going on?

Hi RobJones,

We can top that! The Check Engine Light on our 2014 REX was illuminated BEFORE we drove away from the dealership at the time of delivery/orientation.

We pointed this out, but neither the sales manager nor our iGenius were able to provide guidance late in the day.

The software update performed at the next day's service visit extinguished the light which has not illuminated since; hoping your long term outcome is also favorable.

Rob, the November software update resolves many of the CEL issues. Your car should've been upgraded prior to delivery, but since it wasn't, it sounds like it's time for the first service visit.

sheinr4143 said:
We can top that! The Check Engine Light on our 2014 REX was illuminated BEFORE we drove away from the dealership at the time of delivery/orientation.

Wow, you got me beat by 110 miles! Hopefully the update will get it squared away.

IMHO, a dealer that sells a new i3 without it having the latest software installed isn't really doing a good job! Maybe BMWUSA won't pay for that until the car is sold, but IF that's true, it's dumb, and usually, there's time between signing and delivery to make that happen. I have no idea, but the vehicle should have both the latest firmware that the dealership is the only one that can update AND the latest phone/entertainment software, that the user can update as it comes available.

Hi jadnashuanh,

The root cause of the software update fail in our case may have been simple sloppiness as you suggest but I also detect a note of resentment in our limited interactions with EV sales staff at several manufacturer's dealerships when asked to sell a product that, unlike petroleum-fueled vehicles, has very little post-sale upside for their industry as detailed in a recent article:

http://nyti.ms/1YrVSGc

jadnashuanh said:
IMHO, a dealer that sells a new i3 without it having the latest software installed isn't really doing a good job! Maybe BMWUSA won't pay for that until the car is sold, but IF that's true, it's dumb, and usually, there's time between signing and delivery to make that happen. I have no idea, but the vehicle should have both the latest firmware that the dealership is the only one that can update AND the latest phone/entertainment software, that the user can update as it comes available.

Just picked up my car last night and it doesn't have the latest software either. FWIW, the car literally just arrived at the dealer before I came in to sign the papers since I was so excited to get it...now I gotta figure out where to get the update since the selling dealer is so far away..

Somehow the CEL turned itself off today. I took the i3 for the longest trip so far since getting it (100 miles round trip) and when I set off this morning I noticed the light was off. It's been staying off so far. I'm still going to bring it in for service to find out what caused it, but there is a little less urgency now.

On a side note, I am absolutely amazed that I got back from a 100 mile trip and barely used 1 gallon of gas! The REX kicked in about 35 miles from home and burned almost exactly 1/2 tank. Amazing!

Some of the REx issues are moisture getting into places it shouldn't. Running the REx for awhile can provide enough heat to dry it out. The latest firmware updates seems to address some of the issues, making them less prevalent.

I seem to recall the CEL coming on for a short period on my REx. I think it ended up being the frunk or hatch not being completely closed but the indicators for these weren't lit so it wasn't obvious.

Back