What happens when you run out of charge?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacifica can operate in the pure electric mode. With its ICE off the charging and motive architecture is essentially the same as any other EV, the only difference is that it drives two motors instead of one.

gt1 said:
Pacifica can operate in the pure electric mode. With its ICE off the charging and motive architecture is essentially the same as any other EV, the only difference is that it drives two motors instead of one.
A bunch of EVs can operate solely on their EV motor...that's not the point. The ICE and its 12vdc battery is maintained by the ICE's generator, at least while the engine is running, not the EV electronics whose battery could essentially be dead. The i3 REx NEVER operates (through the wheels) via the engine...it always is driven via its main battery, and the main battery and electronics maintain the 12vdc battery, not the ICE's capabilities. The REx's power is not directly connected to the drivetrain in any way, it only powers the generator, which either drives the electrical motor and/or maintains the main battery.

No, this is not how it works. When ICE is on, one of the motors works as a generator and charges the HV battery. The same voltage goes to a DC-DC converter which charges the 12V battery. This is exactly the same process as in i3, be it BEV or REX. HV battery-> DC-DC converter -> 12V battery.

Back