What mileage was on the odometer of your brand new i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marki3

Hi,

Receiving my i3 BEV on Wednesday next week. I have read about things to check at the dealer and appreciate all the great info on this forum. Thanks.

I was wondering what mileage was on the odometer of your i3 when you picked it up at the dealership? Mine is the first to arrive in my area and I am concerned that it will be used as "test" car before I pick it up. Is there any mileage done by the factory for testing or should it arrive with pretty much zero miles on the clock?

Can't wait to get rolling full electric. Hoping the range is close to predicted. Need to do a 62 mile round trip commute and would like to be able to do 70 mph on highway portion (about 30 miles) and still use AC/heat. Sounds like that should be feasible having read the posts on the forum.

Cheers, Mark.

I picked my Capparis White ReX/Mega World up on Monday, July 28th. It had 13 miles on the odomoter. My salesman had the car in the back so "no one would touch it." I wouldn't think your salesman would use your car as a test car if it is already sold. Nothing to stop the staff from driving it though. ;)

i3Panda said:
I picked my Capparis White ReX/Mega World up on Monday, July 28th. It had 13 miles on the odomoter. My salesman had the car in the back so "no one would touch it." I wouldn't think your salesman would use your car as a test car if it is already sold. Nothing to stop the staff from driving it though. ;)

My sales adviser says no else will drive the car except the Inspection Technician so that is reassuring. On the plus side they now have a demo model so there is no need for anyone else to be in the car.

Thanks for the info.

In Europe I believe the dealer can reset the odometer to zero once, provided it has not exceeded 100 miles. This is to allow for delivery mileage where a car is driven between dealerships or, as in the case of my old Volvo, from the docks to the dealer. Not sure what US practice is.

Zzzoom3 said:
13 sounds high. Even 10 sounds high. When I got my M3, it had 2 miles
The total mileage odometer shows all the mileage since the odometer was connected on the production line. Since then, your car was driven off the production line into a storage compound at the factory, and then onto a train taking it from Leipzig to the coast; off the train and onto a ship; off the ship and into a US compound, then onto a truck to take it to the dealer. That's more than 2 miles, so your odometer has been (legitimately) reset.

I had 37 miles on mine. It was special ordered months ago. When it arrived the couple test drove it then had second thoughts as the Terra wasn't "environmentally friendly". I was happy they passed as I was able to snap it up with no wait!

bryand said:
Zzzoom3 said:
The total mileage odometer shows all the mileage since the odometer was connected on the production line. Since then, your car was driven off the production line into a storage compound at the factory, and then onto a train taking it from Leipzig to the coast; off the train and onto a ship; off the ship and into a US compound, then onto a truck to take it to the dealer. That's more than 2 miles, so your odometer has been (legitimately) reset.
Actually it was 2 miles! My car was delivered at the BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC. It traveled a total of 2 miles from production line to my hands in America :x

Zzzoom3 said:
bryand said:
Zzzoom3 said:
Actually it was 2 miles! My car was delivered at the BMW plant in Spartanburg, SC. It traveled a total of 2 miles from production line to my hands in America :x

So do you still think 13 sounds high for a vehicle produced on the other side of the world with multiple movements to get it from production line into your hands?

Reality is, the dealer can reset it as suggested by bryand. The odometer reading can be hiding up to 100 miles if it was reset before delivery.

While excess miles on an ICE, driven by someone who doesn't care about breakin limits might be damaging, that isn't a big issue on the i3. ALso, consider on all ICE vehicles BMW produces, they run them up to a quite high speed on a dynamometer prior to them leaving the production line, so it's not like the vehicle hasn't seen some high speed. I'd guess that they do the same thing on the i3. WHere I live, any time a car is sold, it is required to provide a signed document showing the odometer reading, and swearing that it has not be modified, so, at least where I live, it would be illegal for a dealer to reset the odometer. I'm trying to remember what the reading was on mine, but without looking at that document, I think it was 9 miles. THe warranty should run for 40K miles (in the USA anyway) from the time of delivery, so that shouldn't be an issue on a new vehicle.

I think my last car had about 2-miles on it, but I picked it up in Germany, so it didn't have to be run to the port, then loaded, then off-loaded, and driven a bit to get it to the dealer. I did not track how many miles extra it had on it when I eventually dropped it off in Munich to be shipped back, but they warned people that they had to drive it to the export location from the airport, then the normal transport issues.

I don't believe an odometer can be reset in any US state. Title transfers, including the original, must include an odometer disclosure statement. California goes so far at to classify falsifying the odometer disclosure as perjury.

I agree with the sentiment that it's tough to compare the prep required for traditional vehicles with the i3, particularly as the infrastructure of distributors and dealers are learning about them. Here in Northern California, it's common for dealers to have warehouses and even service centers some distance from the sales location. I'd also expect the prep department to do a quick, pre-delivery test drive. It's been stated in other threads that several system settings have to be changed between transport and delivery.

jadnashuanh said:
While excess miles on an ICE, driven by someone who doesn't care about breakin limits might be damaging, that isn't a big issue on the i3. ALso, consider on all ICE vehicles BMW produces, they run them up to a quite high speed on a dynamometer prior to them leaving the production line, so it's not like the vehicle hasn't seen some high speed.

Good point about the difference between the ICE and the electric i3. I guess there is no real run-in time like there used to be on ICE. So, no harm in having it driven before pick up but just a matter of principle!

Thanks for the information. Should be at the dealer early next week. Charger installed at home and ready to roll.

Any time it is driven, it is subject to road wear, but unless it got something like a stone chip, it would be no worse than after you've driven it for a day or two! As long as it was clean and unmarked when delivered, I'd not worry much about it on an EV. Now, if some idiot had smoked in the car before delivery, that would be a major issue, for me at least.

I33t said:
Zzzoom3 said:
So do you still think 13 sounds high for a vehicle produced on the other side of the world with multiple movements to get it from production line into your hands?
Yes I absolutely do. You cannot reset an odometer in the U.S. without documenting it and there has to be disclosure to the owner. I can't speak for the rest of the world but I know how the cars are handled in U.S. deliveries. For a U.S. BMW delivery, if you ordered the car (it wasn't on the lot when you bought it), more than 10 miles on the ODO means it has been driven around beyond the production line, shipping, and VDC. Maybe there were reasons for that, maybe not so much.

Yes I absolutely do. You cannot reset an odometer in the U.S. without documenting it and there has to be disclosure to the owner. I can't speak for the rest of the world but I know how the cars are handled in U.S. deliveries. For a U.S. BMW delivery, if you ordered the car (it wasn't on the lot when you bought it), more than 10 miles on the ODO means it has been driven around beyond the production line, shipping, and VDC. Maybe there were reasons for that, maybe not so much.[/quote]

Will find out tomorrow when I am taking delivery. Thanks for the info.

I just picked up my new i3 REx yesterday evening and it had 29 miles on the odometer. I'm told this was because it was generating an error code for the headlights and they needed some test drives to straighten it out. This caused a frustrating extra four hour delay in our scheduled time to get the car.

KurtEndress said:
I just picked up my new i3 REx yesterday evening and it had 29 miles on the odometer. I'm told this was because it was generating an error code for the headlights and they needed some test drives to straighten it out. This caused a frustrating extra four hour delay in our scheduled time to get the car.
Well it is what it is but you don't put ~20 miles on the car to test drive the headlights. Nothing you can do about it but enjoy it now :)

Back