Which trim did you pick and why? Am I alone in Mega World?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVFitter

I could be wrong, but I feel I like I'm the only one who went with the base model. Ive never owned a BMW & while I'm willing to pay for quality & functionality I'm usually pretty frugal. Just curious why you picked what you picked.

I chose Mega world as well (on order). I prefer the all-gray interior, black dash, and blue accents. I think it looks cleaner and more futuristic. I'm not a fan of wood in cars, generally.

The only thing I didn't like on Mega is the wheels. I wish they offered the Giga and Tera wheel options a la carte.

I have the Giga (aka Lodge) because of the wool/leather combination. A friend has a Mega (Loft) Electronaut Edition, which I like a lot, too. The base wheels actually appeal to me because they echo the disc-like wheel covers that were on my Saab 99.

It's funny. When BMW released the interior images last fall, I immediately assumed I'd get the Terra (Suite) trim. Didn't care for the light steering wheel and dash. But after thinking about it and test driving a Terra, I came to the conclusion that the dark interior trim was too conventional. Now that I've lived with the Giga for two plus months, I have no regrets.

I'm getting a Terra BEV. The dark interior does look conventional compared to the other colors.

I wanted all leather because we like to have our dog in the car with us and cloth would trap the dirt she tracks in. All our cars have always had all leather seats, even our Smart ED. I wished they offered a better grade of leather and would cover the kenaf fibers with it. I had a light gray color 2000 BMW 323i and it showed scuff marks and stains much more easily.

I ordered a Tera Rex, I wanted the dark all leather seating. Light colors especially fabrics show the dirt too easily. Plus I think the all dark leather looks more upscale like a BMW should look. I agree though , the lighter interiors look more futuristic. Plus I wanted the Tera wheels, did not like the Mega wheels at all and the middle model wasn't a lot better, did not want the 20" wheels either.

I stuck with the basic model as I am only leasing it from BMW and did not feel the need to line their pockets!

Tummy said:
I'm getting a Terra BEV. The dark interior does look conventional compared to the other colors.

I wanted all leather because we like to have our dog in the car with us and cloth would trap the dirt she tracks in. All our cars have always had all leather seats, even our Smart ED. I wished they offered a better grade of leather and would cover the kenaf fibers with it. I had a light gray color 2000 BMW 323i and it showed scuff marks and stains much more easily.

Ah dogs. Mine makes a lot of my decisions as well. In fact our final decision to buy the i3 was made by bringing the dog to the dealer to make sure he fit in the hatch with the rear seats up.

I actually like the Mega wheels, but prefer the different materials of the Giga World package which (I think) better matches the Solar Orange exterior choice. The silver inserts in the steering wheel and lack of the blue stuff coordinates well with the Frozen Grey trim. I drove an i3 with the Mega World trim and while fine in most respects I was a little disappointed and just feel like the Giga works best for me. Tera World is too dark, IMHO.

If I was getting an Ionic Silver i3 (my 2nd choice for exterior color), I would probably opt for the Mega World instead of Giga to go with the "futuristic" theme.

The cloth/leather combination is very comfortable and having had this interior on more than one MINI over the years I prefer it to the full leather as it just gets tooooo hot and humid here in Virginia to have a car with nothing but leather on the inside.

I ordered my car back in late January/early February and, at that time, the sunroof and Comfort Access were part of the Giga World package, but of course now the sunroof is not available here in the US and I believe Comfort Access comes with all trim levels however I could be wrong. So, those were other reasons for choosing Giga........at the time.

The 5-star Giga wheels, XM/Sirius, and garage door opener all are bonuses - fine. I want to stick with the 19" wheels.

I got Giga. I live in a desert (Phoenix area) and the Tera interior is too dark for me due to solar heating. My last half dozen cars have been all leather, and the lighter colors do help the interior stay cooler. The Mega synthetics are probably going to be too heat retentive. On a test drive in a Mega, the seats were OK getting in, and the AC worked fine, but I exited with a somewhat sweaty back typical of vinyl or synthetic cloth seats which do not breath well. I am hoping that the wool will breath well (as BMW claims in the Giga seat description), or I will be recovering the seats. I might have gone with the Tera in spite of not liking the dark interior if the cost difference between the leather/wool combo Giga and the all leather Tera wasn't so ridiculously high. Wool is nearly as expensive as leather, and is easier to work with as upholstery, so I don't appreciate how BMW priced the Tera, especially after the already too large of bump for the Giga.

Also, I like the extras that come with the Giga (and Tera), specifically the HomeLink system and wood dash trim, but will not be using the sat radio (just as I don't use it in my Lexus, even on long road trips).

If I lived in a cooler climate, I might have gotten the Mega and put in an after-market HomeLink. Meanwhile, about three more weeks until my i3 delivery!

You are not alone in the Mega World. I usually choose the top of everything but I fancied the gray with darker accents over the bamboo wood accents. I prefer the look of the gray with the white exterior and blue accents. It looks much sharper to me. It looks nicer than the Giga/Tera in my opinion! Welcome to the Mega World!

I did have to replace the floormats tho. That light gray got dirty the first day. :eek: Congrats!

i3Panda said:
You are not alone in the Mega World. I usually choose the top of everything but I fancied the gray with darker accents over the bamboo wood accents. I prefer the look of the gray with the white exterior and blue accents. It looks much sharper to me. It looks nicer than the Giga/Tera in my opinion! Welcome to the Mega World!

I did have to replace the floormats tho. That light gray got dirty the first day. :eek: Congrats!

As a general rule I don't like dark interiors because of how hot they get.
In pictures I really liked the wood dash but in person not so much. Kind of the opposite of the big pinwheel/pizza cutter wheels. I hated them in the pictures, but in person, meh I can live with them.
Our dealer is "throwing in" the all season floor mats. However if what I saw is what BMW calls all season, then I don't think BMW knows what all the seasons are like here in Wisconsin.

I got the Terra interior because I don't like dark interiors, plus, I thought that the wool would be cooler than the synthetic or all leather. My ICE is leather, but it also has the perforated, air-cooled option that keeps you dry, or dries you off, if you got in sweaty.

If you have the wood dash, it will change color as it ages and the UV reacts with it. SOrt of like what happens to cherry - it goes from a light pink to a dark cherry as it ages in the light over time.

jadnashuanh said:
I got the Terra interior because I don't like dark interiors, plus, I thought that the wool would be cooler than the synthetic or all leather. My ICE is leather, but it also has the perforated, air-cooled option that keeps you dry, or dries you off, if you got in sweaty.

If you have the wood dash, it will change color as it ages and the UV reacts with it. SOrt of like what happens to cherry - it goes from a light pink to a dark cherry as it ages in the light over time.

Tera is the one with the dark leather interior? :idea:

mindmachine said:
jadnashuanh said:

Tera is the one with the dark leather interior? :idea:
That's what happens when you are up too late...I have the Giga option, not Terra.

Tera. Only because it was the only way to get a leather interior. Unlike most folks, I own only cars my family needs for daily use, and (while politically unpopular) I prefer the environmentally sustainable approach of maintaining vehicles well enough to last for 10 to 30 years. Leather is simply the only choice that holds up for decades. Do not like the dark color, but what'cha gonna do?

Back