Why an i3 not a Tesla

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rower

I am very interested in buying an i3. I probably would have gone for the tesla except for it is too large for the city use I need it for.

Why did you pick the i3 over the Tesla?

Size?
Price?
Mission (no need for greater range)?

Rower said:
I am very interested in buying an i3. I probably would have gone for the tesla except for it is too large for the city use I need it for.

Size?
Price?

Size: Yes. I prefer smaller vehicles that don't require a football field to parallel park.
Price: Yes. Not as much as a Tesla, nicer than the less expensive electrics like Leaf, 500, spark, etc. I'd buy a Tesla roadster instead if it was 40k however. Alas it's not. I am a sports car guy at heart so hopefully the future I'll have an opportunity at a sub $50k electric two door, small sports car, preferrably with a removable hard top like the Lotus Elise.
Mission: Yes I don't need Tesla's range but it would have been nice, but not willing to spend double to get double the range as I only drive 30-50 miles a day. The smaller sedan that Tesla is going to make in a few years, Model E, will probably be good, but didn't want to wait 3+ years for a car that I wasn't sure I'd enjoy, and I enjoyed the i3 a lot. Sure the looks are a little awkward, but it's a love it or hate it style on the outside. Fortunately I'm neutral on the exterior styling. If it looked like a Pontiac Aztec then I would have passed!

The cabin felt confined and cramped. When my son tried sitting in the back seat, his head was touching the roof. He is 6'1" and weights about 220. I liked the airy feel of the i3 cabin, the elevated seats (I don't like seats into which you slouch down and then need to hoist yourself up and out) and, finally, I didn't see what the additional dollars for the Tesla would give me over the i3 given my driving needs. I like the regenerative braking on the i3 which I stronger than what the Tesla gives you and if driven well, gives you one pedal driving. The i3 is a small car that once you are inside of it, seems to be a much larger car. The Tesla is a larger car that seems to be smaller when you are inside of it.

Purely price.

We just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a car. Our primary reason for wanting it was the range. On our i3, we complete our round-trip daily commute with single-digit battery percentage available (nevermind that we have a REX, we don't want to actively use that; it is there as 'insurance', primarily for when the winter months come, as we expect to have to use it every day for a few miles to complete our journey). This is why the world needs true 100-mile/160-kilometer range EVs. Anyway...

Absolutely love the i3, of course, and very glad to be driving it. No complaints, no issues, 100% pure joy to drive, and glad to be saving a lot of money over the Model S.

Requirements, that's all. If I regularly required more range than an i3 BEV I might have considered a Tesla. But I would have weighed it against a UK i3 REX (which has the option to manually engage the on board generator). To me the i3 REX is a more technically innovative and elegant solution to the range/infrastructure limitations of EVs than the Tesla, it's cheaper and there are many more BMW dealers than Tesla dealers in the UK. So the Tesla wouldn't have been considered for long...

Bill

Rower said:

Size?
Price?

Price... i had deposit on a tesla but when they announced the UK pricing base price same numerical uk value as dollar I cancelled.

Then I looked about a bit more and found the i3... love it.. would have liked an extra 20 mile range but in reality it has not really limited me at all... would have liked it to be a 5 seater though..

Size and efficiency.

The Tesla is slowly arriving here, test drives are now on. I've seen them in other countries though. I like the look, but the size of the car is too big for my tastes and as our car will carry 1 or 2 people in urban areas on every trip I prefer a more suitable sized vehicle.

Our trips are also relatively short so the extra capacity of the Tesla is lost on us. That capacity and the overall size and mass of the car impacts efficiency. The i3 is at the top of the efficiency stakes and the Tesla is at the bottom.

These are 2 very different cars. I too had this dilemma a while ago and opted for the i3 for the reasons I discuss here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793701

And I couldn't be happier with my decision, given that my driving is comprised mostly of commuting in and around the city.

I don't understand why there are so many articles that try and compare these 2 vehicles, even to the point of discussing who's selling more.

When was the last time you saw comparisons between, say, a Porsche Panamera and a BMW 3 series? It just doesn't make any sense. They cater to two different markets. We wouldn't expect the more expensive Panamera to sell nearly in the same numbers as a 3 series, so why even bring up the comparison? Well, it gets people reading...and clicking on ads. Headlines make money.

Look at how you plan on using the car and determine what your budget is. That will be the best way to decide on what car to get!

Rower said:

Size?
Price?

Suggest you get one of each. i3 for around town. Tesla Model S for road trips.

pdurham said:
Rower said:

Size?
Price?

Lol... agreed... the perfect duo.

;) I like the Tesla, but never considered one. Too big, too much range, and way more than I would consider spending. Too many nice, "ICE" cars and the difference in price would be the equivalent of "free gas for life". Too much range? Why carry around an extra 1000 pounds of batteries that I would seldom use?

I did, very briefly, consider the Cadillac ELR. Beautiful car, but the 37 mile projected EV range wasn't enough. Same for the Volt, and the LEAF didn't pass the look test.

Once I checked into the i3, and drove it, thought about it for a week, I knew that's what I wanted. I liked everything, the look, size, wheels, features, innovations. Range could have been about 20 EV miles greater and the price lower, but, I'm very happy with my choice.

I was only partly joking with the suggestion that you get one of each. Recently I swapped cars with a friend for a day. He drove my i3 while I tooled around trying to look like I owned his Model S.

They are, of course, very different. I found his Model S to be too much car, in my opinion when compared to the i3, for around town travel. It's a big, heavy car (by my standards at least), and I'm much more comfortable in town with the greater nimbleness, better visibility, easier ingress and egress, and open, spacious feel of the interior of the i3.

But for extended drives, likely including a lot of freeway driving, I'd like to have a Model S. In our case, though, the Model S would likely be sitting in the garage nearly all of the time. And it's a bit too expensive for that!

Size.

I wanted an EV for around town, basically a 30mile radius from home. And something that would get in and around city parking lots, parking structures, mall parking lots, etc. The i3 perfectly meets those needs.

I'd love to have a Tesla for a touring car, but the charging network is not sufficiently built out to really replace my Mercedes E-class diesel (range 600+ miles).

pdurham said:
Rower said:

Size?
Price?

That's exactly what we did. The Model S is great for road trips, hauling large objects from home depot and/or IKEA, and hauling people. The i3 BEV is great for city driving and parking in San Francisco. And it was significantly cheaper than a second Model S. As others have said, they are very different vehicles.

Juggling two EVs with only one spot in the garage has been a little tricky, but it still beats going to the gas station. Especially going to the gas station when I'm already late for work.

Actually I am looking at a second car too.

The i3 for around town and a bigger awd for road trips and skiing. Maybe a 3 series awd or a used panamera. Or Macan.

Frankly I just love the interior of the i3.

The tesla was too big even though the new one is awd and I could conceivably only have one car.

Not excited about having one car always I utilized but my purposes are so different.

A 3 series awd could cover both uses but I just want an electric car!!!

couple of reasons:
Price - with tax credits here in CO, tesla is literally twice the effective price of i3. Hard to justify paying twice as much for a car
Utility - i3 will do 90% of what I need, so would Tesla. Still need a truck to haul horse trailer, hay, etc. Tesla could substitute for weekend trips up to the mountains (where i3 can't realistically do it), so Tesla would work better at that. But at twice the effective price, hard to justify getting it vs. taking our existing Volvo XC60.

With the Model X, the choice would have been harder, as it could have replaced my wife's Volvo completely (sufficient range for her commute and daily driving of 75+ miles, sufficient size/space for hauling horse gear to shows, better driving position for visibility, etc.). But then she would have the electric and not me. I can still see that possibility in the future however.

Also (this applies to Tesla and i3) - I'm optimistic that in a few more years a battery swap out will be possible. I could see the i3 being upgradeable to maybe a 35kWh or even a 40kWh pack, and the Tesla being upgradeable to somewhere near 100kWh. If that comes true, then the utility of each car goes up dramatically.

I want both.

An i3 for Mrs - Who can't drive yet so safety features were more important than top speed and acceleration.

A Tesla for me.

Tried to make the numbers stack up on the Telsa - but I can get a 2xREX i3 for the same price. 8 seats and 300 mile range, with 5 minute recharge ;-)

Hopefully will get a Tesla sometime in 2016. And by then they'll have a 100+kWh pack available and low speed in traffic autopilot like the i3 has. And a face lift to get rid of the fake radiator nose and make it looks like the custom saleen nose, without the silly rear spoiler.http://saleen.com/foursixteen.html

But will be happy with the i3 for now. Really I've wanted an series hybrid EV since about 1999. Final drive electric with a small petrol motor. Except no one made one. I got close to getting an Ampera(Volt) but the EV range wasn't what I wanted and it still connects the ICE to the wheels.

The i3 is the first car that got me to pull the buy trigger. Didn't want slow or dull looking. It certainly isn't dull. But definitely love / hate. I actually don't like it that much -- the colour scheme is wrong, but have worked out what to do do sort it... bit of a respray and/or wrap planned. Specifically the black hood and the black "moustache" bits around the rear valance need to be body colour matched. The roof - not sure yet.

If I'm honest £67k is a lot of money for an AWD Model S with some "essential" options. If I had paid off most of my mortgage and got £100k plus in a savings account then yeah. Fine. I might be in that situation in 2016 IF a business I'm starting up works out. So a Tesla would be a great way to cut my corporation tax bill by about £12,000.

The Tesla Gen III might be another option ... depending on the space. I want something XF/5 Series sized for longer trips and family holidays. Even better if it can tow a light weight camping trailer! It night be 3 series competitor - but lack of transmission tunnel and an added frunk might swing me to it.

That or we'll see what BMW / A N Other have on the Radar in 2016. An i5? i8v2 - with less ICE and more EV.

Waiting a year till the gigafactory opens might be worth it... as Tesla may have cut the cost of the S, given reduced cost they are claiming.

Ford Nuclear Fusion? LOL

Rower said:
Size?
Price?

I'll add a fourth item to the list: style. Taste is very specific to the individual, but I just think that the Tesla S looks butt ugly inside and out. I prefer the clear lines and under-stated, Scandinavian-style interior of the i3.

Size and the interior.

The I3 is just about right, S was enormous in comparison. And around town nothing beats it. U turn in the street, no problem!

I found the tesla interior to be cold and missing some things coming from mercedes. For that money I want all the bells and whistles.

My i3 feels warm in comparison and I like the contrast of materials and the futuristic look of the inside.

It should have about 30 miles more range (if I was choosing) and I would have paid $3-$4k more for that option. Fill up the REX area with more battery. However my annual mileage is 8k so It should be fine.

Back