Working the tire problem

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 4-wheel alignment done without making my own changes. So I have two hypothesis:
  • reverse mount replacement tires - this will put the thicker tread on the inside. Hopefully this would equalize the wear.
  • adjust camber to minimum - I have the tools but want to wait until the warranty has expired.
The real challenge is how to test each approach with a single car. Right now my thinking is:
  • front tires - adjust the camber to neutral to test handling effects. If the car seems less stable, reverse the camber.
  • rear tires - reverse mount the tires and monitor tread depth wear with stock alignment.
  • monitoring - 1k, 2k, 5k, 10k service mile measurements to see relative wear rates.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
reverse mount replacement tires - this will put the thicker tread on the inside.
These tires have an outer side marked, so I don't know the consequences of doing what you propose other than maybe increasing their useful lives.

Back