Your first few 100 kilomters?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i3me said:
Here are some pictures:

Is that charging by simply plugging into the mains (a standard three pin (in the UK) socket)? How long does it take?

I haven't arranged for the wallbox to be fitted yet and my delivery date is approaching so I may be running like this to start with!

Charging at 4,6 kw possible

4,6kW Ladeleistung, 1phasig 20A
normkonformes sicheres Laden, Mode 3 nach IEC 61851-1
abschließbares Vollmetallgehäuse
Typ 2 Steckdose und Schuko Steckdose 230V
EIN/ AUS Taster, wahlweise Schlüsselschalter
Ethernet Schnittstelle mit integr. Webserver
geeignet für Satellitensysteme in Master Slave Konfig.
smart grid ready
Systemintegration über Modbus/ TCP Protokoll
externe Freigabe
Last- Managment über stufenlose Variation des max. Ladestroms
Standard Farbe weiß matt (optional Wunschfarbe möglich)
Variante mit Zähler ( MID konform)
wir verwenden ausschließlich hochwertige Komponenten von Phoenix Contact und Mennekes
Made in Ostwestfalen
CE konform
Abmessung: 35cm x 35cm x 17cm Gewicht: ca. 9kg
IP 44
Anschlüsse : Ethernet RJ45, Variante mit Zähler: S0 Schnittstelle
Gern bieten wir Ihnen unsere wallb-e home in folgenden festen Ladekabel längen an:
4m (standard), 6m, 8m und 10m
Den entsprechenden Aufpreis teilen wir Ihnen auf Anfrage mit.
http://wallb-e.jimdo.com/shop/

Starting at 530 euro

SanSerif said:
i3me said:
Here are some pictures:

Is that charging by simply plugging into the mains (a standard three pin (in the UK) socket)? How long does it take?

I haven't arranged for the wallbox to be fitted yet and my delivery date is approaching so I may be running like this to start with!

13 AMP charging takes 6-8 hours but the EV industry is very cautious about this as it's a constant 13 AMP draw which may have severe consequences on old wiring systems (ie. fires). If you want to continuously charge using the 13 AMP charger it's recommended that you have a newish wiring rated for 15 AMP connections.

I'm not sure if there's a huge backlog for wall boxes - for me they just chose to install it a week before delivery to play safe (13th Jan), I ordered it the week before Xmas.

SanSerif said:

Yes, it most certainly is!
For me the choice was quite simple because BMW do not sell the WallBox in NL yet and the developments go fast so I'm holding on for a while.

I use the EVSE plugged in for overnight charging of our Leaf and find it perfectly adequate. I will probably do the same with the i3 when it arrives.

The Leaf EVSE restricts the current to 10amp here in the UK and I think the i3 one does too to reduce the chance of overheating problems.

Here are our experiences with the i3 after a week. The car is my wife's, I drive a Tesla Model S, 85 standard

It drives great, one pedaling is good, corners nice and my wife is totally in love with the interior.

When we were deciding about ordering, somewhere in August last year, we spoke to BMW about the range of this car. 150km, 180 in Eco pro plus. We subtracted in our heads 20%, counting on 120km at least. The dealer said: you will never have to think about range.

After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode. Never faster then 100kmh and a few inroads. The power used was 197wh on average. The temp today was 13 degrees Celsius, no hard wind or rain, little usage of hvac and seat heaters. My wife has serious doubts and actually wants the Rex version. Because they could not be delivered this year we went for BEV, the dealer said: Rex is for pussies. Well, this kitty wants a Rex. So we have some serious talking to do in the coming days at the BMW dealer (Ekris in Utrecht). We want to exchange it and only pay the difference if the Rex, no depreciation on the BEV.

I will keep you posted.

Tesla said:
After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode. Never faster then 100kmh and a few inroads. The power used was 197wh on average.

Tesla maybe this gives hope...
image.jpg

i started out with the same... not more than 120km, thinking this is not going to work for me. However. I've driven twice around 100km still with 45 km spare.

The 195 in eco pro+ degraded slowly when the car was outside... and felt the real world. Picture was taken when it was preheated in the garage.
I must say that it makes a huge,huge diference if you drive freeway at 100/120 km/h or take country road. I managed to drive from amsterdam to amersfoort 41% less efficient with only 12 min eta slower...
BTW a managed a 17,1 kwh in comfort and 14, kwh in eco pro...

Still for me it's realy an experiment... But a fun one...

Tesla,

You'll have to let us all know how BMW handles this. In Calif. there is no cooling off period.

Unfortunately the dealers (in my experience) have very little info about this car. When I went to the premier event locally the sales person told me the battery only version had 200 miles (320 km) of range! I laughed. If it had that i'd buy the car sight unseen!!

Maybe once they have the car in person it will get better.

It's amazing when you think about how much money they've spent on this that they couldn't publish a one-pager for the sales people.

Tesla said:
Here are our experiences with the i3 after a week. The car is my wife's, I drive a Tesla Model S, 85 standard

It drives great, one pedaling is good, corners nice and my wife is totally in love with the interior.

When we were deciding about ordering, somewhere in August last year, we spoke to BMW about the range of this car. 150km, 180 in Eco pro plus. We subtracted in our heads 20%, counting on 120km at least. The dealer said: you will never have to think about range.

After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode. Never faster then 100kmh and a few inroads. The power used was 197wh on average. The temp today was 13 degrees Celsius, no hard wind or rain, little usage of hvac and seat heaters. My wife has serious doubts and actually wants the Rex version. Because they could not be delivered this year we went for BEV, the dealer said: Rex is for pussies. Well, this kitty wants a Rex. So we have some serious talking to do in the coming days at the BMW dealer (Ekris in Utrecht). We want to exchange it and only pay the difference if the Rex, no depreciation on the BEV.

I will keep you posted.

Burdi3 said:
Tesla said:
After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode. Never faster then 100kmh and a few inroads. The power used was 197wh on average.

Tesla maybe this gives hope...
image.jpg

i started out with the same... not more than 120km, thinking this is not going to work for me. However. I've driven twice around 100km still with 45 km spare.

The 195 in eco pro+ degraded slowly when the car was outside... and felt the real world. Picture was taken when it was preheated in the garage.
I must say that it makes a huge,huge diference if you drive freeway at 100/120 km/h or take country road. I managed to drive from amsterdam to amersfoort 41% less efficient with only 12 min eta slower...
BTW a managed a 17,1 kwh in comfort and 14, kwh in eco pro...

Still for me it's realy an experiment... But a fun one...
Burdi3: Please check your private messages.

Thanks

Tesla said:
After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode. Never faster then 100kmh
*gets calculator out*

so that's a range of 56 to 59 miles at speeds no faster than 63mph. Crikey, pretty alarming numbers for the BEV in ECO-PRO :eek:

Tesla said:
After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode.

Could you please confirm that you charge it to 100% each night and not e.g. 80%?

That does seem staggeringly low. At the launch even BMW were gloating the figures they provide were accurate for real world conditions (unlike Nissan).

I don't understand the figures in the display. 19.5kWh/100km corresponds to fairly well with Tesla's results, but completely contradicts the 195km range on the right. Can anyone explain?

BrianStanier said:
I don't understand the figures in the display. 19.5kWh/100km corresponds to fairly well with Tesla's results, but completely contradicts the 195km range on the right. Can anyone explain?
The 195 km is not on our car. The highest we have seen is 137 in eco pro plus. 195 is pretty impressive.

For people who work in miles:

Comfort = 80-100 miles
Eco Pro (comfort + 12%) = 90 - 112 miles
Eco Pro Plus (comfort + 24%) = 100 - 124 miles

195km = 121 miles which is indeed pretty impressive, very close to the max range.

LMOR said:
Tesla said:
After a week of driving and testing we found out: with the best will (I have some Tesla experience) we could not go further then 90/95 in Eco pro mode.

Could you please confirm that you charge it to 100% each night and not e.g. 80%?
Unless there is an option that I overlooked in the settings, by my knowledge we charge to 100%. See picture, take 5 minutes ago.
foto-65.PNG

Then I assume that you do not have the heat-pump?

In cold weather you need either the REX or the heat-pump.

Real life number from Norway around X-mas (probably around same temperatures):

67 km with CC av 80 km/h, with consumption of 1,24 kWh/km. (with heat-pump - standard in NO)

LMOR said:

67 km with CC av 80 km/h, with consumption of 1,24 kWh/km. (with heat-pump - standard in NO)
Yes, we DO have the heat pump ordered. (option 4T9)

Tesla said:
LMOR said:

Yes, we DO have the heat pump ordered. (option 4T9)

Ordered?, may be I misunderstood. Do you mean installed, og that you tested another car? Did that car have the heat-pump?

Back