gps1539

Re: Serious problem with new BMW ConnectedDrive Website (USA)

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:48 pm

+1 for bimmercode

Very fast way to check how charged the car is and provides lots of other useful info. I'm also looking at the code to see if it is simple enough for me to contribute and enhance it.

I also echo others feelings here. While I bought my i3 used (car is great so far), BMW have done nothing but piss me off as an owner. Probably my 1st and last bimmer.

robthebold

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:26 am

I've been doing some more testing, and it looks like the BMW servers are not responding in a reasonable amount of time when using functions that actually contact the car in real time. Namely lock and unlock doors, climatize, flash lights and sound horn. Other status info is periodically gathered from the vehicle by the servers and a cached value is returned to the client.

Things like querying fuel or battery level, or lid states is just a call to the server and doesn't require the extra step of contacting the car over the cellular network. These queries don't seem to give me any problems.

But back to the remote services: I changed the bimmerconnected library remote_services.py module to increase the remote timeout to 300 sec (5 minutes). Even giving it that unreasonably long timeout delay I didn't get a response from the server. The services worked, however. Horn honked, lights flashed, locks locked and climatize . . . climatized. So it seems that the BMW servers aren't returning confirmation that these remote services worked. I doubt it's a cell network problem, since the non real-time functions still work. Perhaps they've just changed the protocol out from under us. Would this cause the BMW app to misbehave when climatizing? From what I've read above, it just doesn't work, right? Not that it cools the car even though it says it didn't. Am I reading that correctly? (I don't have a phone that supports the app).

Anyway, I've made some fixes and improvements in the underlying library and my script that I'll upload and share "soon".

Edit: updated motorlaunch.py on github to add function to download rendered images of your vehicle. Rearbirdseye doesn't work for me for my '17 i3 + Rex. (library throws error) If you see different results with your car (like success!) let me know . . . Also front and frontside views are the same, as are rear and rearside. I would've expected one to be head on and one from an angle, but that's not how it worked for me. Files will show up in your .motorlaunch directory with the other config file.

Also, if you have a sunroof, there is a bug in the bimmer_connected library that throws errors when getting status while sunroof is tilted open. To fix this, go to the directory with m1n3rva's bimmer_connected files and edit state.py. Look for:

Code: Select all

class LidState(Enum):
At the end of the list add:

Code: Select all

OPEN_TILT = 'OPEN_TILT'
. . . ensuring that the indent matches the line above

Jgehrls

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Well, I’ve been having the same issues with Connected drive and my i3. All features worked except the climatize option. Weird thing was, I could climatize using my Alexa linking connected drive to the service.

Well, today, everything started working!! I don’t see where anything got updated—BUT I can finally climatize again!! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

stumbledotcom

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:00 am

Yes, the Climatize option worked three times for me today after continuous fails for two plus months. Hopefully the fix will prove permanent.

spinball

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:50 am

I can also confirm that the Climatize Now in Connected Drive app started working consistently again with my 2017 i3.

BMW has to do better than a 3 month outage with zero communication. That's really pathetic. Even non "premium" brands do better than that.
2017 REx - Platinum Silver - Deka

EVMan

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:31 pm

Can some one please provide me the url for connected drive, where i can actually see the car range and kapa ect

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/app/i ... /dashboard

The url i had does not show me any services but goes into the loop of - insists that you buy the service and you already have the service
I cannot see anything useful data of the car , which is the purpose of buying the service
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan

alohart

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:19 am

EVMan wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:31 pm
Can some one please provide me the url for connected drive, where i can actually see the car range and kapa ect
The recent redesign of the ConnectedDrive Website has eliminated all useful information about one's i3. Maybe it will return in the next redesign, but that could be years in the future.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

nickp

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 am

Let me put it mildly. The Connected drive is POS software app that appears to be written by someone or some people as a beginners project. And, my apologies to beginners.
BMW as a car company should be ashamed to put their name on something like this. When you call yourself a f*&^&*g luxury brand you have no business putting this shit on peoples cars and phones. PATHETIC!
Also, while I do have Bimmercode and the BT adapter, one DOES NOT need to BUY an outside app to just see what's going on with the car in a friendly easy to use software. I can understand that adding Hold SOC etc will not be possible with the BMW app and I have the Bimmercode for that.

I wonder how they can get away by keeping that software team employed and not implementing something new.

alohart

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:43 am

nickp wrote:
Connected drive is POS software app that appears to be written by someone or some people as a beginners project.
Just to be clear, this thread is about BMW's U.S. ConnectedDrive Website, not the BMW Connected smartphone app. Two completely different things.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

nickp

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:15 am

alohart wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:43 am
nickp wrote:
Connected drive is POS software app that appears to be written by someone or some people as a beginners project.
Just to be clear, this thread is about BMW's U.S. ConnectedDrive Website, not the BMW Connected smartphone app. Two completely different things.
Yes and they are both garbage POS apps. I am in the good ol US of A!

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”