Fisher99

Re: ConnectedDrive

Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Different version on my Android phone, but it's still refusing to climatize. I can do everything else, but not climatize.

However... I just got through coding my Panic button to climatize and it seems to be working flawlessly from my living room window. Not much help if I'm a long ways away, of course, but will make it easy, and hopefully reliable, to get the frost off the windows before leaving the house. I don't leave on a set schedule, so using the scheduling option isn't an option for me.

Also coded the mirrors to fold when I lock and unfold when I unlock while I was at it.

jadnashuanh

Re: ConnectedDrive battery preconditioning

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Lmasta wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:13 pm
Yeah this app is brutal, is there a tutorial somewhere of how to battery precondition via the app? Is there 3rd party app that works better ? Thanks for any guidance
To warm the batteries, set a departure time. In that menu, you have the option of also preconditioning the cabin. If you use climatize now, all you get is the cabin. Note, depending on the actual temperatures, it may take 3+ hours for the batteries to come up to temp. It doesn't start preconditioning the cabin until about 20-30 minutes before your departure time. Setting a departure time is the only way to delay preconditioning the cabin.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

fbt12

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Where i live near SFO, i have BAD ATT coverage. Before i got my used 2017 used i3 a couple of weeks ago, i had already turned on ATT calling over Wifi (for my mobile phone). As long as my wifi is working, i can generally get off a CONNECT command. So far, when i am at home, it works. I know that my i3 cannot use my wifi, but things are still working.....<knock, knock>

jadnashuanh

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm

My coverage varies based on where in my house I am - lots of tall buildings between me and the nearest tower. If you have a good internet connection, you might consider buying their microcell. This essentially becomes a mini cell tower. So you aren't serving anyone passing by, you have to register the phone numbers of the devices you want to allow access. I don't know if you can determine the actual cellular number of the car, but if you could, when it is in range, it would connect to your microcell if you added its number (it will allow up to 10-devices).
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Fisher99

Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:53 pm

My ConnectedDrive app is still failing to climatize the car. Everything else in the app works, but climatize is once again failing 100% of the time. I know that it isn't an AT&T coverage issue. At least I can climatize at home now that I coded the car to interpret the remote control's panic button as a climatize command.

I have my first (since I have owned the car) service scheduled at the local BMW dealer in a couple of weeks. I'm going to see what they have to say about it, but it seems likely that it's just a crappy service/app that BMW really doesn't care enough about to fix. Then again, since they aren't charging for the service, I guess I don't have too much right to complain. But I'm complaining anyway... :)

vreihen

Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:40 am

Fisher99 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:53 pm
Then again, since they aren't charging for the service, I guess I don't have too much right to complain. But I'm complaining anyway... :)
They absolutely ARE charging for the service! For the first few i3 model years, they bundled 10 years of the remote service into the purchase price, along with 3 years of the in-car smartphone app enhancements that cost me $50/year to renew. Later models shortened the 10 year deal down to something like 3 years (I can't find the web page at the moment). Assuming that the 3G/4G network BMW is using still works, you will be able to renew for additional years if you pay them more. Big assumption, since a lot of 2013 and earlier drivers were cut off from telematics forever when the 2G network was shut down.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

MKH
Gold Member

Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:33 am

but it seems likely that it's just a crappy service/app that BMW really doesn't care enough about to fix.
Yeah, it's kind of mind-boggling - in our 'connected' world, an app that could be a real enhancement to BMW car ownership, instead is a total boat-anchor that they just seem to ignore. :roll:
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch 427 wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

robthebold

Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 am

Fisher99 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:39 pm
Different version on my Android phone, but it's still refusing to climatize. I can do everything else, but not climatize.
Can you lock and unlock the doors, sound the horn and flash the lights? Because these commands use the same URL (and therefore the same BMW server). If those other commands go thru, you're able to send data to BMW, they do their thing, they send it to the car, car does its thing and responds to server and server reports success (or timeout or whatever) back to your app.

Fisher99

Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:06 am

I thought I was able to lock/unlock, but I guess I haven't tried it since the climatize feature started failing again. I just tried an unlock and get the same "Remote Service cannot be executed at the moment. Please try again later" message and failure.

However, I can monitor the charging status of the car. That function has continued to work regardless of whether the other features work or fail. Not sure why this function would work and the others fail.

What amazes me about this is that this is the same app that is still used on current models of BMW's (not just i3's) for remote functions. Or at least that's what I've been told. Surely it can't be failing on all cars. Maybe there's just something about the age of the electronics or SIM in my 2014?

jfran2

Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:09 am

I find that curious too, that the car's location and state of charge are always spot on, but the commands from the app don't seem to be able to be executed. One would think that if the data can flow one way, it out to be able to go the other.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”