eNate

Removed (poorly) HOV stickers, then again the right way!

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:10 pm

My i3 came with California carpool decals ("high occupancy vehicle permits") that A) I don't need, B) didn't reapply for (they technically don't transfer to new owners and a application must be resubmitted).

Today I removed them. I checked out some YouTube videos first. One guy used an electric steamer. Another bought plastic scraper blades. Both looked tedious. Both finished with Goo Gone. I tried this on the first one and it was a PITA, as expected. It came off in four layers. Lots of elbow grease. Easily 20 minutes Goo Gone scrubbing all the "VOIDs" off! Gah. Three more decals to go. :(

(These photos are borrowed from someone's Tesla post as representative of my first attempt -- I didn't take pictures.)

So next I busted out my trusty heat gun. I applied heat for about 30 seconds, and then continuously as I pulled back. Each came off as one continuous piece -- almost like removing painter's tape (made of sizzling hot bacon). Removal went so quickly I thought the other three decals were made of different material than the first. I literally could have reapplied them to another car and they would have looked nearly perfect. Left behind on my bumper was the segment of a VOID 'V' here or there, but mostly it was clean-clean with a very minor Goo-Gone wipe-down (but no scrubbing).

So if you have carpool stickers to remove, give them the heat!
Last edited by eNate on Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

DaJemster

Re: Removed (poorly) HOV stickers, then again the right way!

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:06 pm

How come you don't want to use the HOV lane?
2017 i3 - Capparis White w/BMW i Frozen Blue Accent
2016 F22 M235i - Black Sapphire Metallic
2008 E93 M3 - Alpine White III
2004 E46 M3 - Carbon Schwarz

eNate

Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 pm

My awesome commute is more or less across town and outside of commute hours, not to mention we don't have much in the way of HOV lanes on Oakland.
2 0 1 7   B M W   i 3   9 4 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

fluidity

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks for this. I just bought a CA car but live in another state, and those stickers have got to go!

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”