Izzard

Save money on your brake fluid, air filters and oil change by doing it yourself!

Sun May 10, 2020 9:36 am

My 2016 BMW i3 REx was recently due for its “big” service. I bought it here in the UK in the summer of 2019 when it had just turned three years old; almost certainly after finishing a lease. So this year (2020), it’s supposed to have its brake fluid and oil changed, as those are due every two years. This is a service for which the local BMW dealership wanted to charge me several hundred pounds. However, the car is out of warranty and I like to be self-sufficient, so I gathered the tools and information to do these jobs myself. Here’s what I learned and some of the costs I incurred.

I hope this is useful to others here. Please feel free to share on other i3 group/forums.

Robbidoo

Re: Save money on your brake fluid, air filters and oil change by doing it yourself!

Tue May 26, 2020 12:55 am

Thanks for the write up! I like the idea that I would do this, but living in Germany I know it would kill re-sale value if I didn't have the BMW stamp in the book. Well done to you though.

Izzard

Re: Save money on your brake fluid, air filters and oil change by doing it yourself!

Tue May 26, 2020 1:42 am

Thank you. Yes, I’m planning to keep mine for a long time rather than sell it. It’s worth considering though, you’re right.

Bertone

Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 am

Great post!!

One question...how do you reset the service intervall indicator on the dash?
2017 94Ah

Izzard

Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 am

Bertone wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:51 am
Great post!!

One question...how do you reset the service intervall indicator on the dash?
You hold the trip reset button on the left of the instrument cluster for several seconds and navigate through the “Reset?” options it presents. (Quick press for next, long press for select.)

Fisher99

Wed May 27, 2020 10:20 am

Nice write-up. Thanks for sharing.

One question: Although I've done this many times on older vehicles I've never done it on one with Antilock Brackes. I've been told that you have to use a different procedure to cycle the ABS and ensure that you flush the old fluid out of the controller and the new fluid in. I didn't see anything about that in your write-up so am wondering if you did this or just flushed through what you could without cycling the ABS?
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

Izzard

Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 am

No I’ve not heard of that. Have you got a link that adds weight to that concern we can look at?

Fisher99

Wed May 27, 2020 11:33 am

Izzard wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:31 am
No I’ve not heard of that. Have you got a link that adds weight to that concern we can look at?
You can Google it and find lots of references. Here's a quote from one:

"Power and pressure bleeders are changing along with the systems they service. In the past, only 15-30 psi was required to pressure-bleed the system. But some new ABS modulators with electronic brake proportioning may require 50-60 psi to bleed or flush the system. If you can’t get your pressure bleeder to work under these conditions, look at the service information for the required equipment or pressure setting.

On their own, gravity, manual or power bleeding methods can’t completely flush the volume of fluid that is in the ABS modulator. Inside the modulator, there might be as much as five ounces of dirty fluid after flushing. The only sure way to flush this fluid is to use a scan tool to actuate the valves in the hydraulic control unit. Be aware that the worst fluid is trapped in the ABS valves and passages due to their non-integral design."
2014 BMW i3 with Range Extender Engine, Capparis White/Frozen Black, 20" wheels,, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, TurboCord EVSE

Izzard

Wed May 27, 2020 11:58 am

Sorry I meant specifically in relation to the i3 but I understand what you’re saying. I do test the ABS as a matter of course after working on the brakes. That “actuates” them. Good enough for me (especially on a 3 year-old car).

flyboy320

Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 am

Izzard wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:58 am
Sorry I meant specifically in relation to the i3 but I understand what you’re saying. I do test the ABS as a matter of course after working on the brakes. That “actuates” them. Good enough for me (especially on a 3 year-old car).
Here are few links for the procedure. The first is the i3, and the other links are generic BMW brake bleeding procedures. When I did my i3 I did not bother with running the DSC pump, no problem with brake feel afterwards.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01- ... 1VnXrIyoHr
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1588350
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1318401
https://www.m5board.com/threads/brake-b ... st-5838225

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”