TheMK

Re: How is your battery holding up?

Mon May 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Long time since I've posted here.

My Batt. Kappa. Max is now at 13.8 KWh. What should my next step be? I seem to recall that there was a battery re-initialization procedure available in ISTA+. The other thing too is, will the dealer look at the car for free? My 2014 should still be covered by the 8-year battery warranty I assuem.

Thanks.

alohart

Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 am

TheMK wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:03 pm
My Batt. Kappa. Max is now at 13.8 KWh. What should my next step be? I seem to recall that there was a battery re-initialization procedure available in ISTA+. The other thing too is, will the dealer look at the car for free? My 2014 should still be covered by the 8-year battery warranty I assuem.
The usable battery pack capacity on our 2014 BEV is declining faster than I had hoped it would but not as fast as yours. I have downloaded ISTA+ v. 4.10 (battery pack reinitialization is not supported after a version not much later than 4.10). However, I'm confident that BMW could detect that reinitialization had occurred which might void the battery pack warranty, so I've chosen not to perform the reinitialization until the warranty has expired.

BMW has charged others a few hundred dollars for battery pack capacity tests. However, if the test indicates that the battery pack should be replaced under warranty, the test cost has been waived. In almost all cases, the battery pack passed the test because BMW had somehow restored enough of the usable capacity, so the test fee was not waived. This makes me believe that the reduced usable capacity is at least partially due to the battery management system reducing the usable capacity to reduce the battery cell degradation rate to help BMW avoid battery pack capacity warranty claims (i.e., some of the capacity loss is artificial and not due to battery cell degradation).

If your lost range is actually making your i3 less usable, it might be worth paying for the capacity test which would likely result in increased capacity and range for some period of time. Because the loss of range on our i3 isn't significantly affecting us, I'm not yet willing to pay for a capacity test.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

TheMK

Fri May 29, 2020 7:58 pm

alohart wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 am
The usable battery pack capacity on our 2014 BEV is declining faster than I had hoped it would but not as fast as yours. I have downloaded ISTA+ v. 4.10 (battery pack reinitialization is not supported after a version not much later than 4.10). However, I'm confident that BMW could detect that reinitialization had occurred which might void the battery pack warranty, so I've chosen not to perform the reinitialization until the warranty has expired.

BMW has charged others a few hundred dollars for battery pack capacity tests. However, if the test indicates that the battery pack should be replaced under warranty, the test cost has been waived. In almost all cases, the battery pack passed the test because BMW had somehow restored enough of the usable capacity, so the test fee was not waived. This makes me believe that the reduced usable capacity is at least partially due to the battery management system reducing the usable capacity to reduce the battery cell degradation rate to help BMW avoid battery pack capacity warranty claims (i.e., some of the capacity loss is artificial and not due to battery cell degradation).

If your lost range is actually making your i3 less usable, it might be worth paying for the capacity test which would likely result in increased capacity and range for some period of time. Because the loss of range on our i3 isn't significantly affecting us, I'm not yet willing to pay for a capacity test.

Before COVID-19, I was commuting 25 miles one way (50 miles round trip), mostly freeway driving at 80MPH, with a 1000ft climb at the end of the trip on the road to get up the hill to my house a few times a week. With the lost battery capacity I would get down to 10% every day, if I took any extra trip at all, it was under REx power. I would say that the loss of range has significantly made this car harder to drive, but I worry more that if the loss of range keeps happening, then REx would be required just for my normal commute. I had considered doing the pack re-initialization. I wonder if the capacity test the dealer can do runs the "re-initialization". I might consider risking the warranty to do the re-initialization myself.

TheMK

Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 pm

As an update I performed what I think is the re-initialization procedure using ISTA+ 4.14. I now put it on the charger and will see once it charges to 100% overnight what the batt kappa max is afterwards. If that didn't make a difference I'll try to hunt down a copy of ISTA+ 4.10, since that version is known working.

jlangham

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:29 am

TheMK wrote:
As an update I performed what I think is the re-initialization procedure using ISTA+ 4.14. I now put it on the charger and will see once it charges to 100% overnight what the batt kappa max is afterwards. If that didn't make a difference I'll try to hunt down a copy of ISTA+ 4.10, since that version is known working.
So, how did it go? :?:

TheMK

Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:21 pm

jlangham wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:29 am
TheMK wrote:
So, how did it go? :?:
It made zero difference in the batt kappa max.

I'm not sure if that is because of the ISTA version I used, or if my battery is just that far gone.

In the next week or so I'm going to contact my BMW dealer about looking at the battery. For the moment I am waiting on delivery of a Tesla Model S that I purchased. My i3's reduced range pushed me to buy that car, but perhaps I might wish I had kept the i3 for longer depending on what happens with the battery in it. The i3 was starting to get annoying to drive with the reduced range.

Fisher99

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:48 pm

That's quite a step up, from an i3 to a Model S Tesla! I drove a Model S a few months back and have been trying ever since to convince my wife to sell her 535i xDrive and my i3 and buy one (or a Model Y), but so far, no luck. Are you keeping or selling the i3?

TheMK

Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am

Fisher99 wrote:
That's quite a step up, from an i3 to a Model S Tesla! I drove a Model S a few months back and have been trying ever since to convince my wife to sell her 535i xDrive and my i3 and buy one (or a Model Y), but so far, no luck. Are you keeping or selling the i3?
I'm selling the i3. It's kind of sad in a way. I really like this car for cruising around town. It's served me very well too when driving in the mountains with winter tires. I am really set on having an AWD car. I very much prefer EV at this point in time, and so I splurged on the Model S. :o

I have an appointment for tomorrow for my dealer to look at the i3. Hopefully they say the battery needs replacement.

Fisher99

Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:30 am

TheMK wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:23 am
Fisher99 wrote:
I'm selling the i3. It's kind of sad in a way. I really like this car for cruising around town. It's served me very well too when driving in the mountains with winter tires. I am really set on having an AWD car. I very much prefer EV at this point in time, and so I splurged on the Model S. :o

I have an appointment for tomorrow for my dealer to look at the i3. Hopefully they say the battery needs replacement.
Please let us know what the dealer says.

TheMK

Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Fisher99 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:30 am

Please let us know what the dealer says.
Yeah, I will. I want other people to know what my experience was like.

On another anecdote, I drove my car last night from 100% to 4% SOC, my EVSE claims that it put 12.93KWh to the car overnight. Even without thinking about charging inefficiencies, this paints a sad picture for my car's battery health.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”