ICE Pickup or i3 pulling small trailer?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacemanwill

I'm doing a home renovation project which means making lots of trips to the hardware store for lumber, drywall, etc. The nearest Home Depot is a 70 mile RT. I could buy a small used pickup like a Toyota Tacoma and continue my contribution to green-house gas emissions, or I could buy a used i3, install a hitch, and pull a small utility trailer like this: https://north40.com/carry-on-utility-trailer-with-gate-5-x-8

Loads would typically be <1,000 lbs. Would this be feasible with a 94AH 2017 or newer i3 BEV? I know towing probably voids the warranty, but that's a risk I'm willing to take to get the functionality I need.

Oh, one other thing. There's a 1,800 elevation change to get to the Home Depot. :shock:

Thanks!

It could prove a challenge to wire up a brake and tail light harness . In our i3 s the lights are LEDs mounted on a printed circuit board . I think it could be done .

I would not try to pull a trailer with the i3. A hitch to maybe hold a bike carrier, maybe. Pick up a used ICE, and sell it when you're done, and probably not lose much at all.

Back