Rumors are that i3 production will end in 2024 but reading the OP's first post brings up a thought – might BMW NA kill the i3 before BMW AG ?
MKH, I haven't been to my dealer in a long time – it's really disappointing to hear that the ones in your area have switched to order-only. That's a great move to kill demand for the way many USA customers buy... we want to walk in to the dealer and walk out four (
) hours later with a new car – no waiting for months for your exact build (though I'm an ordering type of customer).
Improvements I'd like to see before the i3 ends production:
– bump the battery pack to somewhere in the mid-60kWh region
– improve Active Cruise Control so its behavior is smoother
– iDrive 8 (could we please get a HUD?)
– better lighting in the cargo area
– kill the REx and replace it with storage like the Wokeby extension
– a light-colored interior like Mega Carum Spice Grey, but with leather seating surfaces
None of these are must-haves for me – I'll replace my 2014 22kWH BEV with whatever BMW NA gives us for the final model year.
I must compliment the i3's original designers. They (likely) began the i3's original design a decade ago in 2011, if not earlier. Ten years later, I feel the i3 is still perfectly suited to its original task and, pleasantly, exists somewhat beyond time in the normal terms of the automotive industry.