UK Energy tariffs for EV owners?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowtta60

Hi all,

Getting my car in a few weeks and have decided to look around at what the latest offers are. Are there any companies offering special tariffs for EV owners other than Ecotricity?

Currently with Good Energy who aren't the cheapest (but 100% Renewable sourced).

However I think with my electric usage about to more than double from about 2,500kWh/yr to around 6000kWh/yr based on my expected usage of the i3, I think it's time to get a better price. I use about 13,000kWh of gas too so looking at the dual fuel options.

There's 2 suppliers come up trumps at the moment... bizarely neither on them is fossil based, which I wasn't expecting....

EdF with the Blue Price promise... 100% Nuclear tariff, and unit rates of £0.146 day / £0.058 night in my area (old East Midlands - now E.On). No contract so free to leave at any time.

Or Co-op with their FairSquare March2016 fixed price which is about 60% renewable, and only £0.114 on the day tariff and £0.0717 on the night.

I had considered Ecotricity as they run the electric highway across the country and thought it might mean continued free access in future for their customers, but they are almost as expensive as E.on, despite a £40 yearly EV discount. Duel fuel is £270 a year more than Co-op and £30 more than Good Energy.

Overall Co-op comes in a few quid lower than EdF no matter what mix of day, night and gas units I stick in my spreadsheet. I used to write energy billing software so ignore all the average quotes on switch sites and work out my expected day and night unit mix and work it out myself. Not that difficult on domestic tariffs.

That said the price difference comes in less than £3/month and I think it would be cool to say my i3 is nuclear powered. LOL. Reading on their site it has no CO2 emissions (though Sustainable energy without hot air estimate is at 1.5g/kWh so more like = 9kg / year for my 6000 kWh. More importantly nuclear waste is about 48g / year. So probably less than the size of a golf ball, but it does need to be stored for 1,000 years, unless they start building fast breeder reactors to burn up all the old waste as well as new uranium. http://www.withouthotair.com/c24/page_169.shtml

The whole thing has got me thinking about converting my house to run an ASHP again. Would mean next to no carbon emissions from house or car (REX excepted) and not much more cost than running a gas boiler (which I'd keep as a backup anyway).

Hmmmn. Decisions.

Anyway I'm getting carried away. Was really interested to see if there are any special deals for EV owners.

Cheers,

I'm in a similar position, i3 due end of Feb and electricity tariffs for Midlands. I decided to stay with nPower for now, but have fixed the tariff at 11p/kWh all day for the next 13 months. I looked at nighttime tariffs, but I want to monitor our usage first, as I think might do a fair amount of re-charging during the day, when we're in for an hour or 2 in between trips. The nPower deal can be cancelled at any time, so I'm not bound by it.

Also checked out Ecotricity and decided against it (for now) for similar reasons you mention. Once they start chargin for their CCS (and it becomes more reliable), I might revisit it again.

I used uSwitch for comparisons or went straight to the supplier websites.

Let us know how you are getting on.

P

I just tried uSwitch and 1 come up that I had forgotten about first:utility. They give you a smart meter, which does 30 minute reads for electric, and daily for gas.

As someone who's been meaning to take regular reads for the last 5 years and keep forgetting... that's put them to the top of my list, especially as they are also the 2nd cheaper on my usage profile - the only downer is its fixed till 2016 with exit penalty. But thats fair cosidering you get a new meter in the picture. I used to work for E.On and know it costs about £100 for a meter swap.

Will let me cross check what the i3 is costing to charge vs the washer / dryer.

Well it was all going so well - till I saw their fuel mix. Ooops they are higher than the national average at 579g/kWh. :(

Will have to see if I can bag a smart meter with EdF - if I tell them I'm an EV owning customer - and a freelance systems tester with 10 years utilities experience ;-)

I went with Ecotricity primarily because I wanted to support their stance on EVs, renewables and building infrastructure. Once I started dealing with them I found it incredibly refreshing to phone them and speak to the same person over the course of the swap. I ended up moving our gas to them too and it solar PV FIT.

Bill

I'm also in the E Midlands and as a high user of Electricity and with SolarPV, Scottish power is best for me. Currently on the Economy 7 November 2015 fixed tariff but can leave at any time. They do have a new plan every Month, so worth checking regularly :)

Back