Optimal speed and charging time

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwi3ownercom

BMW i3 is a city car suitable for city driving, but if you ever take it for a long stretch it could be of interest to understand how to drive to arrive to your destination as quickly as possible. High speed increases consumption, reduces range and requires more charging stops, but low speed adds much to driving time. What is the best?

Read the post 'Optimal speed and charging time' on bmwi3owner.com to understand the optimal speed and charging time.

bmwi3ownercom said:
BMW i3 is a city car suitable for city driving, but if you ever take it for a long stretch it could be of interest to understand how to drive to arrive to your destination as quickly as possible. High speed increases consumption, reduces range and requires more charging stops, but low speed adds much to driving time. What is the best?

Read the post 'Optimal speed and charging time' on bmwi3owner.com to understand the optimal speed and charging time.

Just Drive,

I have i3 with Rex we recently did a nice long trip. After about 72 miles in Eco Pro with HVAC on at 72 degrees (50s outside) the gas engine turned on. I was causing at 65 on the way down. I think if you engage the Cruise control and let the car pace traffic it actually runs very efficient. At least much more so then our Ford Focus EV did. We charged down there to 90% before leaving and on the way back got another 70 miles off the battery before switching to gas. Same outside temp, same mode with HVAC. I assume higher miles vs 90% charged compared to 100% Charge having 2 more was the rush hour traffic we were stuck in doing lots of region with stop and go on the way back. After we broke free from traffic around 70 miles the Rex kicked in and we continued home with cruise set to 70MPH HVAC running occasionally speeding up to 80 MPH with no issues.

The idea the Rex can't handle keeping the car charged is way overblown...

John

itnetpro said:
The idea the Rex can't handle keeping the car charged is way overblown...

John
It all depends on the terrain and your driving habits. driving at legal speeds where it is not hilly or mountainous, no problem. Throw in some heavy loads, and you may have issues.

FWIW, I don't consider a 100-200 mile trip long! 400-500 miles one way or more, and then, the i3 just doesn't cut it for me, regardless of the version.

Back