Brand / Type of Wall Charger to Install

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recycledoug

Question:

Are all 208-240 7.2 kw chargers compatible with the I3? For example is the Clippercreek HCS 40 a viable charging option? Is there any reason to buy the BMW charger vs. an off the shelf unit like a Bosch or Clippercreek? Are the charging plugs on all charging units (to the I3) a standard type connection plug to the vehicle?

Recycledoug said:
Are all 208-240 7.2 kw chargers compatible with the I3?
Any EVSE that complies with the SAE J1772 standard should work. You should check the manufacturer's list of compatible vehicles just to be sure, understanding that some may not have updated that list to include this new offering.

Recycledoug said:
For example is the Clippercreek HCS 40 a viable charging option?
Yes.

Recycledoug said:
Is there any reason to buy the BMW charger vs. an off the shelf unit like a Bosch or Clippercreek?
Some folks like the appearance of the BMW EVSE, but otherwise no. Before buying the Bosch, check out this negative post: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=984&p=7412&hilit=bosch#p7412

Recycledoug said:
Are the charging plugs on all charging units (to the I3) a standard type connection plug to the vehicle?
There are varying connections for different EV manufacturers, but the i3 (as well as most other EVs sold in the U.S.) uses the SAE J1772 connector. Just make sure your EVSE has it.

Thank you all!!! .... A big help with all of the responses...

By the way I assume the 30 AMP is the way to go vs. a 48 AMP since I max out with 40 AMPs from my box....

Keep in mind you need a 40A or 50A circuit depending on the exact model you choose:

http://clippercreek.com/store/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/HCS-40-users-manual_v1.b.pdf

Oddly the hardwired version requires a 40A circuit while the models with plugs require 50A.

Re: The Clipper Creek plugin vs. hardwire

I talked to my electrician, who takes care of our facility wiring at work. He stated that one can use the 50 AMP input "plug in" version. He stated that he just needs to run a 50 AMP line from our home's main box to the outlet in the garage. My concern had been that I would need to draw 50 AMPs from the main box along with needing a 50 AMP breaker. He stated that this is not the case. IE the true imput from the house will be 40 AMPs.

I have two reasons for preferring the plugin unit. When I move I would like to be able to take the box in a few years. With a plugin I can take the unit. IF it is hard wired it would need to stay. Secondly, the install is easier for the electrician....

Recycledoug said:

I have two reasons for preferring the plugin unit. When I move I would like to be able to take the box in a few years. With a plugin I can take the unit. IF it is hard wired it would need to stay. Secondly, the install is easier for the electrician....
Sure, you can take it with you... in most hardwire installs, the EVSE connections to your 40/50/60A circuit are made in a junction box adjacent to the EVSE. To remove the EVSE, all you have to do is turn off the breaker for the EVSE circuit, open the junction box, unscrew the three wire nuts and detach the wires, unscrew the clamp which fastens the EVSE conduit to the junction box, remove the EVSE from the wall and your good to go. Sure, unplugging a plug-equipped model is easier, but the decision of which EVSE to buy shouldn't be affected by a few minutes' difference in work required for removal.

Also, the work to install a receptacle for the plug-in model versus that to install a junction box and connect the wires is pretty much the same.

FWIW, I went with the HCS-60 to maximize charging rate and looking to the future (the i3 will likely not be my last EV and future ones may have larger capacity chargers).

SDCAi3 said:
Recycledoug said:

Sure, you can take it with you... in most hardwire installs, the EVSE connections to your 40/50/60A circuit are made in a junction box adjacent to the EVSE. To remove the EVSE, all you have to do is turn off the breaker for the EVSE circuit, open the junction box, unscrew the three wire nuts and detach the wires, unscrew the clamp which fastens the EVSE conduit to the junction box, remove the EVSE from the wall and your good to go. Sure, unplugging a plug-equipped model is easier, but the decision of which EVSE to buy shouldn't be affected by a few minutes' difference in work required for removal.

Also, the work to install a receptacle for the plug-in model versus that to install a junction box and connect the wires is pretty much the same.

FWIW, I went with the HCS-60 to maximize charging rate and looking to the future (the i3 will likely not be my last EV and future ones may have larger capacity chargers).

Well actually if you want to sell your house to move and the EVSE is hard wired in, you will have to remove it before you put the house up for sale otherwise the purchaser if shown the house with it still attached will get it with the house. You can also make it an exception on what goes with the house and what doesn't but you must remember to do that, if you forget the EVSE goes with the house. Been there done this before and when in the heat of moving, buying a new house and selling yours, remembering everything like this doesn't always happen. Just saying!

I could not agree more about being hard wiring in.... Selling the house... And forgetting to put in the sales contract that the wall station is not included.... Having the plugin unit makes this more palatable ( I think) for the new owner.... Like the refrigerator vs. the AC unit... If you know what I mean....

Recycledoug said:
I could not agree more about being hard wiring in.... Selling the house... And forgetting to put in the sales contract that the wall station is not included.... Having the plugin unit makes this more palatable ( I think) for the new owner.... Like the refrigerator vs. the AC unit... If you know what I mean....
Four words in the listing and contract easily solves the problem: "EVSE does not convey." Again... it's a factor that should not affect one's decision on whether to buy a hardwired or plug-in EVSE.

SDCAi3 said:
Recycledoug said:
Four words in the listing and contract easily solves the problem: "EVSE does not convey." Again... it's a factor that should not affect one's decision on whether to buy a hardwired or plug-in EVSE.

You seem to be missing the common problem mentioned here, people forget when they get older and especially when they have a lot of things going on like when one is moving, buying a new house and selling the old one planning the furniture relocation, scheduling the electricity and gas contract termination, ect...... Maybe some day you will be older too and experience this affliction.

mindmachine said:
SDCAi3 said:
Recycledoug said:

You seem to be missing the common problem mentioned here, people forget when they get older and especially when they have a lot of things going on like when one is moving, buying a new house and selling the old one planning the furniture relocation, scheduling the electricity and gas contract termination, ect...... Maybe some day you will be older too and experience this affliction.

So people buy an electric car and forget to charge it, sell their house and forget about the EVSE? I think you are heading into the realms of dementia.

It's true that if something is fixed to the wall it is a fixture. If you don't want to sell it with the house you have to exclude it in the contract. If you forget: your loss. The day is coming when an EVSE will be a standard fitment and you won't have to worry about it and anyway, the prices of these things has fallen markedly since they first appeared.

You can't get the installation costs back either. The cables stay on the wall.

So people buy an electric car and forget to charge it, sell their house and forget about the EVSE? I think you are heading into the realms of dementia.

It's true that if something is fixed to the wall it is a fixture. If you don't want to sell it with the house you have to exclude it in the contract. If you forget: your loss. The day is coming when an EVSE will be a standard fitment and you won't have to worry about it and anyway, the prices of these things has fallen markedly since they first appeared.

You can't get the installation costs back either. The cables stay on the wall.[/quote]

Remembering to charge your car and forgetting to list an exception for your EVSE in the sales contract for your house are two entirely different things.

Like I said before someday we all will experience the aging process, you can make fun of it now, but it is an unavoidable fact of life. Hope you forgetfulness (dementia) isn't as bad as mine when it hits you, or worse yet Alzheimer's. For me since I'm not a cheap skate I prefer the plug in type, I prefer the look of the installation and the ease with which it can be removed for use elsewhere. The extra very few bucks in price make it worthwhile to me.

mindmachine said:
Hope you forgetfulness (dementia) isn't as bad as mine when it hits you, or worse yet Alzheimer's. For me since I'm not a cheap skate I prefer the plug in type, I prefer the look of the installation and the ease with which it can be removed for use elsewhere. The extra very few bucks in price make it worthwhile to me.

If we're talking dementia and Alzheimers, the time between onset and lack of ability to cope with day to day driving is relatively short. For Alzheimers onset to grave averages 6 years or so, and the last few years there is no way you would want a sufferer anywhere near a motor vehicle. Well, until the Google Car becomes available.

I guess it also depends how often you move houses. If you move frequently, every year or so, then by all means go with a plug. If like most, moving house is not often then you might as well screw the EVSE to the wall and hard wire it. By the time you move house it will likely be so out of date you will be happy to leave it behind.

I33t said:
mindmachine said:
Hope you forgetfulness (dementia) isn't as bad as mine when it hits you, or worse yet Alzheimer's. For me since I'm not a cheap skate I prefer the plug in type, I prefer the look of the installation and the ease with which it can be removed for use elsewhere. The extra very few bucks in price make it worthwhile to me.

If we're talking dementia and Alzheimers, the time between onset and lack of ability to cope with day to day driving is relatively short. For Alzheimers onset to grave averages 6 years or so, and the last few years there is no way you would want a sufferer anywhere near a motor vehicle. Well, until the Google Car becomes available.

I guess it also depends how often you move houses. If you move frequently, every year or so, then by all means go with a plug. If like most, moving house is not often then you might as well screw the EVSE to the wall and hard wire it. By the time you move house it will likely be so out of date you will be happy to leave it behind.

Whatever you don't get it. That of course is the sign of someone who has a different problem of HUYA

mindmachine said:
I33t said:
mindmachine said:

Whatever you don't get it. That of course is the sign of someone who has a different problem of HUYA

I don't know what HUYA is. So unable to respond to that comment. Hopefully it is not derogatory.

I'm happy for people to have plug in EVSE's and for people to have hard wired EVSE's. There are good reasons for both, but personally I don't rate the risk of forgetting to put an exemption for the EVSE on a possible future contract for the sale of the home as a good reason. Others clearly think otherwise.

I think we are free to share our opinions here.

I guess it also depends how often you move houses. If you move frequently, every year or so, then by all means go with a plug. If like most, moving house is not often then you might as well screw the EVSE to the wall and hard wire it. By the time you move house it will likely be so out of date you will be happy to leave it behind.[/quote]

Whatever you don't get it. That of course is the sign of someone who has a different problem of HUYA[/quote]

I don't know what HUYA is. So unable to respond to that comment. Hopefully it is not derogatory.

I'm happy for people to have plug in EVSE's and for people to have hard wired EVSE's. There are good reasons for both, but personally I don't rate the risk of forgetting to put an exemption for the EVSE on a possible future contract for the sale of the home as a good reason. Others clearly think otherwise.

I think we are free to share our opinions here.[/quote]

You strayed way past just expressing your opinion. I have no problems with anyone wanting to express their opinion as long as they don't get derogatory about my opinion.

mindmachine said:
You strayed way past just expressing your opinion. I have no problems with anyone wanting to express their opinion as long as they don't get derogatory about my opinion.

You will find your quotes work better if you don't remove any of the [ quote ] labels.

No, these were definitely all my opinion, and were not intended to be derogatory about your opinion. If you took it that way, I apologise. HUYA remains unexplained, so Its derogatory?

I suggest we let it drop and let the thread return to topic.

I33t said:
mindmachine said:

You will find your quotes work better if you don't remove any of the [ quote ] labels.

No, these were definitely all my opinion, and were not intended to be derogatory about your opinion. If you took it that way, I apologise. HUYA remains unexplained, so Its derogatory?

I suggest we let it drop and let the thread return to topic.

When you start labeling someones comments about remembering as dementia/Alzheimer that is derogatory period! So that is what it is. Thank you for your apologie.

I installed a Clipper Creek HCS-40. It is working perfect. Very pleased with the unit. Very sturdy construction.

I generally drain about 50% of the car in the daily driving and it returns to full charge in about 2 hours from 50%. Going from near empty to full, I would expect about 4 hours, but it should be shorter but have no actual data to confirm, at least not yet...

Sean

Back