chuckhawley

Re: Coding the i3

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:26 pm

By way of introduction, I have a 2014 i3 REX which I bought after it was returned post-lease in 2016. I have put about 20,000 miles on it, including some reasonably long trips. The longest to date was a three day trip to Bend Oregon and back (1,100 miles) that was only inconvenienced when the fuel pump relay for the REX failed in Bend, and I had to spend half a day getting it fixed at the extremely friendly BMW dealership there. Each leg was 9 hours, the vast majority of which was at 75MPH on I5.

I've also taken the i3 from Santa Cruz to South Lake Tahoe, a distance of about 270 miles/five hours and a climb of around 7,500 feet. In no case could I figure out how to run power to the car when I parked it overnight, so conserving electrical power is paramount.

After reading this forum immediately prior to buying the car, I realized that I'd need to have the car coded, so I've done this twice: one day after I bought the car in 2016, and today, post-trip-to-the-dealer where they upgraded the software and I lost all of the wonderful changes that I had come to know and love.

As with virtually everyone else, my main coding changes have been the increase in the gas tank and the manual REX activation, plus some convenience changes, including using Eco Pro as the default driving mode (to encourage longer range).

My real reason for writing is that, having not experienced the default software/REX activation at 6% SOC for the last two years, I can't imagine owning the car without the REX manual activation hack. I was sweating bullets while driving to my coding appointment, terrified that I would dip below 3% SOC and go into SLOE MODE. As I was on a major freeway, this could have been deadly. Why CARB insisted that they cripple (no offense to the disabled) this car with stupid software is inconceivable. I may use my REX somewhat more often that others, but I also use my i3 as if it were a "normal" car, and therefore keep another oil-burner off the streets.

If anyone wants more information about the trip to Bend, I'd be happy to describe it at length.

Cheers,

Chuck
Silver i3/REX with the cheap interior option

alohart

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:42 am

chuckhawley wrote:Why CARB insisted that they cripple (no offense to the disabled) this car with stupid software is inconceivable.
CARB didn't insist on anything. BMW worked with CARB to create a new car category, BEVx, so that BMW would earn more credits for each i3 sale than it would have had an i3 REx been categorized similarly to plug-in hybrids. These credits allow BMW to sell more gas-guzzlers. BMW had the option of selling an uncrippled i3 REx categorized like other PHEV's but chose to cripple an i3 REx to allow it to meet BEVx standards.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Fathertom74FR

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:47 am

Some of you know Carly for coding ?

I have it for my bmw M135iX and now i have my bmw I3S, i already code somme tips, but simce 1 month a find only 5 module in programing section instead 8 ou 9 like in july ...
I cant go in ICM module to code star engin in eco mode.
Some have already see this ?

Bluei3s

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 am

Fathertom74FR wrote:Some of you know Carly for coding ?

I have it for my bmw M135iX and now i have my bmw I3S, i already code somme tips, but simce 1 month a find only 5 module in programing section instead 8 ou 9 like in july ...
I cant go in ICM module to code star engin in eco mode.
Some have already see this ?
I use Carly and used it for my 135i (they never made a M135ix in the US, curious where that's from?) and I couldn't find any modules on my I3S. How did you get it to program anything? I've been stuck on that for about a month with no ICM modules found at all.

Fathertom74FR

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 pm

i leave in France, that's why :)
i found 5 module in the programming section, like kombi, idrive ...
but i haven't the the same number of module between the first programming and now.
I don't go to the shop for update, and no update in the car ...
I think i will ask to a friend to code it with bimmer on my car . if i don't find a solution this month.

tman66

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 pm

:geek: New i3 owner but someone who has coded other BMW's in the past. I used the iOS BimmerCode app and a recommended bluetooth ODB2 adapter to code a bunch of 'convenience' items such as;

Disable legal disclaimers
Side mirror folding/unfolding with the fob
Unlock doors on engine stop
Video in motion (not tested yet)
Enable iDrive office / full messages
Electronics off when door opened
Enabled AM Radio
Changed startup animation to M-logo

I couldn't get the triple blink to go to 5 blinks and the tire temp and pressure didn't appear (not sure if I have/need TPMS).

But here's the thing, I swear the iDrive screen transitions are different now. Before coding and not using split screen, when you went from one menu option to another the whole screen would change. Now, half the screen shows the menu options and what looks like half is the sub menu?? Again not using split screen.

Someone please tell me that I just didn't notice it in the 24 hrs that I have had the car. ;) I even tried going to the original settings via backup but it still the same. I'm not sure if the process to restore from backup resets everything back. This is really bugging me lol.
2014 i3 BEV | 2011 328xi Wagon

jadnashuanh

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 pm

If you're in the USA, you have TPMS. If you're in Canada, you probably don't. If the valve stems are rubber, they're not TPMS. No TPMS, no pressure readout is possible. I used that app, and I do see the pressure, so I know it can work, hardware dependent, though.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

tman66

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:39 am

jadnashuanh wrote:If you're in the USA, you have TPMS. If you're in Canada, you probably don't. If the valve stems are rubber, they're not TPMS. No TPMS, no pressure readout is possible. I used that app, and I do see the pressure, so I know it can work, hardware dependent, though.
Right I forgot about that. Will check later. Thanks.
2014 i3 BEV | 2011 328xi Wagon

speedf

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 am

Hi, been following this thread with interest so decided to code my 2018 LCI i3.

However, hit a problem.... was coding the head unit using Bimmercode on Android when the coding was interrupted *gulp*

Bimmercode when restarted recognised that this ECU had an error and offered to recover, an option I selected.

All seemed to be O.K, except my bluetooth phones seem to be confused....two of my phones now seem to "share" the same name (i.e. two phones appear under one entry, so can't easily switch between the two in the BMW menu). I can switch using the phones, but less than ideal. I can't seem to use the BMW menu to "delete" the entry.

Any ideas of coding that might clear the bluetooth settings back to factory settings, or any other ideas?

gt1

Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Did you try deleting the phones and pairing them again?

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”