3L3CTRICK

Custom License Plate - Wife Very Angry - Need Advice

Wed May 15, 2019 7:18 pm

I got a custom plate and my wife is rather angry. She says it's "white trash" and embarrassing and completely inappropriate :shock:

I am VERY concerned about climate change, what we are doing to our planet and while this plate may generate some reactions my intent was to really get people to start thinking about how important it is to take every action to mitigate our carbon footprint.

I was hoping to get some feedback. Please feel free to give me your thoughts. My wife is VERY upset and is on the verge of having a custom bumper sticker made that says something like "My Idiot Husband is Responsible For This Custom License Plate"

Last edited by 3L3CTRICK on Wed May 15, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

derekgates

Re: Custom License Plate - Wife Very Angry - Need Advice

Wed May 15, 2019 7:25 pm

3L3CTRICK wrote:
I got a custom plate and my wife is rather angry. She says it's "white trash" and embarrassing and completely inappropriate :shock:

I am VERY concerned about climate change, what we are doing to our planet and while this plate may generate some reactions my intent was to really get people to start thinking about how important it is to take every action to mitigate our carbon footprint.

I was hoping to get some feedback. Please feel free to give me your thoughts. My wife is VERY upset and is on the verge of having a custom bumper sticker made that says something like "My Idiot Husband is Responsible For This Custom License Plate"

hahahaha, I personally like the plate. It is offensive but so is the rampant noise, pollution, environmental impact of gas/diesel. I enjoy sporty vehicles that are gas based but for daily commuting gas is the worst.

That being said, my situation is not one in which my significant other cares about my plate. :P

I am considering something like ZZZT. I like the dual tone of your i3!

vreihen

Thu May 16, 2019 4:10 am

My DW will not let me put this new custom license plate frame on the i3:

There was a thread somewhere that joked about creating a Facebook profile named OPEC LOL. Someone already has that custom plate in New York State, but LOL OPEC was still available as of a few days ago. BYE OPEC and CRY OPEC are other options to convey the same message in 8 characters, without using the DW-angering vulgarity.....
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World, Tech and Driving Assistant packages, 15K miles

alohart

Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 am

I find it a bit disingenuous that your customized plate is on a car with a gasoline-powered generator even though it uses less gasoline than most ICE cars when the REx isn't running.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

3L3CTRICK

Thu May 16, 2019 4:34 pm

alohart wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 am
I find it a bit disingenuous that your customized plate is on a car with a gasoline-powered generator even though it uses less gasoline than most ICE cars when the REx isn't running.
Hmm, that didn’t even cross my mind. Probably because the REx hasn’t kicked in once since I’ve owned the car. It only turns on when you have depleted the main Li battery pack and my commute is such that I’ve never had it below a 30% charge.

Good point though Alohart ‼️

CharonPDX

Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Time to be the spoiler - that ain't your real license plate.

The "Oregon Trail" plates haven't been offered in nearly 20 years, and that font is all wrong for an Oregon license plate. (I had custom Oregon Trail plates on my car in college.)

But howdy, fellow Oregonian i3 owner! Nice car!

3L3CTRICK

Thu May 16, 2019 7:36 pm

CharonPDX wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 pm
Time to be the spoiler - that ain't your real license plate.

The "Oregon Trail" plates haven't been offered in nearly 20 years, and that font is all wrong for an Oregon license plate. (I had custom Oregon Trail plates on my car in college.)

But howdy, fellow Oregonian i3 owner! Nice car!

Hi CharonPDX,

Nice catch but it really is my personalized plate, the image is a mock up that can be done at the Oregon DMV website:

https://dmv2u.oregon.gov/eServices/_/#1

Check and see if "F GAS" is available. It's not because I just purchased it yesterday. I made the mock up specifically to post here and get feedback. The plates will take some time to get mailed (and it will actually be a standard tree license plate).

CharonPDX

Thu May 16, 2019 11:59 pm

Ah, so partly right. Odd that their mockup system didn't bother to use the actual license plate font. Also, it offered the Oregon Trail plate‽

Edit: Ah, just went through the process - I see, you mocked it up yourself, not just saved their mockup then photoshopped on to your car. Yeah, no longer offer Oregon Trail. And the system does mock it up with the proper license plate font.

CharonPDX

Fri May 17, 2019 12:07 am

vreihen wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:10 am
My DW will not let me put this new custom license plate frame on the i3:

There was a thread somewhere that joked about creating a Facebook profile named OPEC LOL. Someone already has that custom plate in New York State, but LOL OPEC was still available as of a few days ago. BYE OPEC and CRY OPEC are other options to convey the same message in 8 characters, without using the DW-angering vulgarity.....
Here in Oregon, "NO OPEC" license plate is on a first-gen RAV4 EV in my neighborhood. (Or at least it used to be, I haven't seen it in a while...) Oregon only allows 6 letters/numbers plus a space or dash. (You can replace any of the 6 letters/numbers with spaces or dashes as well, as long as there is at least one letter/number, although spaces aren't counted when checking if it's available, so "NO OPEC" "NOOPEC" and "NOOP EC" would all count as the same plate, but "NO OPEC" "NO-OPEC", and even "NOOP-EC" are different.)

AndrewDebbie

Fri May 17, 2019 1:42 am

3L3CTRICK wrote:

I was hoping to get some feedback. Please feel free to give me your thoughts. My wife is VERY upset
Which is more important to you, your marriage or your new licence plate? If it is your marriage, ditch the plate immediately. Get your wife involved in choosing something else.
2014 LEAF 24 (gone)
2017 LEAF 30 (gone)
2018 Mazda 2 (Debbie's)
2018 i3s 94Ah Rex

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”