Boltoni3

Rex Gas Cap Won't Open

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm pressing button to open gas filler cap (below steering wheel by door) - message displays saying something about Refuel at 75%. I'm just below 75% but the external flap won't open - so I can get at the filler cap. I had this problem at 25% and took it in for servicing and was told it was fixed. I rarely put gas in - but doesn't make sense to me that there would be a requirement to have fuel drop so low before refuelling is possible? Anyone having trouble with filler cap?

peteinlongbeach

Re: Rex Gas Cap Won't Open

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Consult the owner's manual on refueling details.

After you push the button, watch the display for release status. The percent status indicates tank depressurization, not fuel level. The fuel tank must finish depressurizing before it will allow access. If this routine does not complete successfully, you can manually open it. Open the frunk and find the green gas flap pull button on the passenger side in back (shown in the manual). Disengage the button and gently pull on it until the flap releases.

justanotherdrunk

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:47 pm

and the cap cant be removed during charging
2014 i3 BEV
Solar Orange/ Mega

Boltoni3

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Thanks - the depressurization status does not display (just reads 95% then shows "!" requiring service). Of course the flap won't open either when I push it externally.

I guess it's back to BMW for servicing. It wouldn't open when I was there 2 weeks ago when I tested it after they serviced it - told me flap won't release until the fuel level is down to 25%? Doesn't make sense to me that you can only refuel when tanks is at 25% or less.

BrianStanier

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Certainly not true in the UK, it appears to be unlockable at any level. I suppose it might be some weird CARB requirement.

Boltoni3

Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm happy to report that BMW Toronto scheduled my repair quickly - I picked up the car today and the system appears to be operating correctly. The shop foreman even video recorded operation of the system prior to my arrival after I asked for assurance that the repair had been successful. I see the readout of the depressurisation - and the flap opens even with tank 3/4 full. I'm told the problem was a pressure sensor. Good to know that the flap doesn't open while the car is charging

MFNATIK

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 pm

When you hit the gas cap door button, is the door supposed to pop open automatically? Mine makes an unlocking noise and I hear it depressurize, but the door doesn't pop out unless I push in on it and then it pops open. Just wondering if I got a bad door or something.

imolazhp

Sat May 02, 2015 11:13 am

Pop the frunk, on the side that has the fuel filler door you will find a green circle, I believe it has a fuel symbol on it, pull it out, pulling the slack, then pull it just a little harder and you'll be able to open the full filler door. My e46 had the same one in the trunk that I had to use once when the car was acting crazy.

Stevei3

Thu May 07, 2015 1:39 am

Hi,
this is how its supposed to function.
Regards, Steven
MFNATIK wrote:When you hit the gas cap door button, is the door supposed to pop open automatically? Mine makes an unlocking noise and I hear it depressurize, but the door doesn't pop out unless I push in on it and then it pops open. Just wondering if I got a bad door or something.

I3glendale

Tue May 07, 2019 4:34 pm

I have 2014 Rex and encountered the same issue. False sensor caused the issues as you guys mentioned, and in North America, BMW issued a recall for the problem.

My car is fixed at no cost and I advised you guys to bring it to any dealership around and ask to fix the problem.

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”