rsmccraw

REX Won't turn on

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Just bought a '14 REX, driving it home from the dealership I depleted the battery, expecting the Range extender to come on. As it got lower and lower it eventually limited me down to 40mph. The left side where the gas range is listed turned blue for a moment before turning grey again. The range extender did not turn on ever to my knowledge. I did not hear it or feel it kick on.
It had sat on the dealers lot for a while before selling to me, could this be something where it had sat too long? The car is still under factory warranty until Dec 2018

Im really excited to get back into it, but I'm just worried somethings wrong with it that wont be covered under warranty?

Anything I should look into or be aware of? Thanks for any help!

bwilson4web

Re: REX Won't turn on

Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 am

rsmccraw wrote:Just bought a '14 REX, driving it home from the dealership I depleted the battery, expecting the Range extender to come on. As it got lower and lower it eventually limited me down to 40mph. The left side where the gas range is listed turned blue for a moment before turning grey again. The range extender did not turn on ever to my knowledge. I did not hear it or feel it kick on.
Where is the car now?

Can any lights be turned on? If not, it suggests the 12V battery died.
rsmccraw wrote:It had sat on the dealers lot for a while before selling to me, could this be something where it had sat too long? The car is still under factory warranty until Dec 2018
The BMW i3-REx warranty coverage has been very good to me.
rsmccraw wrote:Im really excited to get back into it, but I'm just worried somethings wrong with it that wont be covered under warranty?

Anything I should look into or be aware of? Thanks for any help!
Contact BMW and follow their instructions. My understanding is they will arrange to tow the car to the dealership who can work up the problem Monday. Towing is a little tricky because the parking brake actually locks the rear wheels.

Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

rsmccraw

Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:39 am

Hey Bob thanks for getting back with me so quickly.

BMW towed my vehicle for me to the dealership nearest my home. I guess I will need to wait till monday to hear anything.

The lights still operated, I was able to put the car in neutral. I believe I may have just had the door open not allowing it to drive, though the range extender was for sure not coming on and the screen was telling me I had a low battery and it needed to be charged to prevent damage to the battery. I believe that the i3 could have moved under its own power but I don't think it was worth damaging the batteries over, as the REX was not coming on at all to charge.

bwilson4web

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:02 am

rsmccraw wrote: . . .
BMW towed my vehicle for me to the dealership nearest my home. I guess I will need to wait till monday to hear anything.
You're in good hands.
rsmccraw wrote:The lights still operated, I was able to put the car in neutral. I believe I may have just had the door open not allowing it to drive, though the range extender was for sure not coming on and the screen was telling me I had a low battery and it needed to be charged to prevent damage to the battery. I believe that the i3 could have moved under its own power but I don't think it was worth damaging the batteries over, as the REX was not coming on at all to charge.
  • Sounds like the 12V was working, good!
  • Door open is a little confusing. I've had the seatbelt occasionally block closing but I always drive with the belt on.
  • If the car got home, I would have tried using the portable charger but for you it is a new car. I think you can download the Owner's Manual but certainly it makes sense to search for YouTube training videos. In particular, how to use the stalk to cycle through the different information displays.
  • File this under 'lessons learned', but the web site www.plugshare.com can identify charging stations along your route. If the REx does not come on right away, divert to the nearest L1 or L2 charger with a J1772 connector or fast DC charger with CCS. A last resort, 120VAC outlet since I've found them to be 'unreliable.'
  • One of the reasons I like the BMW i3-REx is the quality of battery management. I suspect it is unlikely the car will let you damage it. Liquid cooling is an important feature compared to the early Leaf problems with air-cooled.
GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

CCJ

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:52 am

bwilson4web wrote:
rsmccraw wrote: . . .
You're in good hands.
rsmccraw wrote:The lights still operated, I was able to put the car in neutral. I believe I may have just had the door open not allowing it to drive, though the range extender was for sure not coming on and the screen was telling me I had a low battery and it needed to be charged to prevent damage to the battery. I believe that the i3 could have moved under its own power but I don't think it was worth damaging the batteries over, as the REX was not coming on at all to charge.
  • Sounds like the 12V was working, good!
  • Door open is a little confusing. I've had the seatbelt occasionally block closing but I always drive with the belt on.
  • If the car got home, I would have tried using the portable charger but for you it is a new car. I think you can download the Owner's Manual but certainly it makes sense to search for YouTube training videos. In particular, how to use the stalk to cycle through the different information displays.
  • File this under 'lessons learned', but the web site http://www.plugshare.com can identify charging stations along your route. If the REx does not come on right away, divert to the nearest L1 or L2 charger with a J1772 connector or fast DC charger with CCS. A last resort, 120VAC outlet since I've found them to be 'unreliable.'
  • One of the reasons I like the BMW i3-REx is the quality of battery management. I suspect it is unlikely the car will let you damage it. Liquid cooling is an important feature compared to the early Leaf problems with air-cooled.
GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson
To add to Bob's list... Plug share also has an app for your smart phone :)
In memory of Robert E Flynn

imran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Same thing happened to me, I could hear the rex turn over but not start. after 3 attempts, the car showed a drivetrain malfunction error. Fortunately, I was not far from home so I made it back with remaining battery.

It has been at the dealership for almost 2 weeks now. So far, they have replaced fuel pump, O2 sensor and exhaust manifold gaskets but its still not fixed.

slac10

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 am

Hello There! My first post here.

I have the exact same problem with my 2014 REX not turning on. It tries 3 times and the I get the error message.

But every other day it starts and works just fine!

The check engine light is on and I looked at the faults with my OBD2 reader: "Misfire on both cylinders"

Any news on your recent problems and what was the cause?

Thanks from Canada.

Steve

Polot

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Возможно необходимо заменить свечи зажигания

Zwerius

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:13 am

Same problem overhere.
The dealer told me the fuel pump should be replaced (€700,- !!)
But after replacing it yesterday, they're still searching because obviously the fuel pump didn't cause the problem....
So, car is 2 days at the workshop already, without any results so far.
Regards,
Zwerius Kriegsman (from Holland)
http://geen-energierekening-meer.weebly.com/index.html

slac10

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 am

@Zwerius, do you have any update??

Return to “BMW i3 Rex Specific Discussions”