CEASELESSLY__frunk OPEN indicator

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocRush

Hi everybody.

Just at the beginning of our 5th honorary month my wife called me on the way during the habitual route to the office and anxiously declared that a disturbing beep manifested. She was really frightened because of the unusual red sentence on the left side of main screen denoting sth like "Your frunk is open; serious danger. Immediately slow and park the car in order to check/amend the situation".

Thanks to my suggestions and guidance she hardly performed the typed command (repeatedly) but could not cure the warning !! sound along with alerting !! sentence. The discomfort did persist during her return trip and when she arrived home in the evening I welcomed them at the garage in order to fiddle with the latch and spring just at the mouth of our frunk.

No success :roll: and early in the morning I paid an urgent visit to the dealer with our singing well i3.

Fortunately a service guy amelioarated the problem in 10 minutes just in front of me. The sensor which located on the mandible of frunk had been dislocated and caused our "24 hour span disturbance".

So, the story ends... :twisted: :)

DocRush said:
sth like "Your frunk is open; serious danger. Immediately slow and park the car in order to check/amend the situation".

I found i3 likes to display detailed error message at the main console. While having details is good, the car knows it is in an abnormal situation. The driver should be extra cautious and eyes on the road. There ought to be an option to verbalise the message in addition to the display.

I was in a situation where i3 suddenly disengaged the cruise control. A long message was displayed on the centre console. As I was the one in the car, I didn't even have a chance to catch the message in full.

FWIW, there are more than a few things that can cause the adaptive cruise control to disengage. One of the more common ones is on a very bright day with tall trees along the side of the road, but the detection of a pedestrian crossing or approaching nearby, or a vehicle cutting in front of you can do it as well. If there's enough room, the car will just slow, but sudden incurrences to your space do shut it off. The sudden appearance of a deeply shaded area next to a brightly lit one can make it think there is something in the road. If you encounter that, just switch the adaptive portion off...it will come on again after you shut the car off for next time, or you can restore that function yourself in the same trip.

This week (for 2 days) our i3 was on dealer's service/repair facility.
As our problem had relapsed several times during that period we gave the car to service center for a permanent solution.

They have changed the frunk detector [gratis _ :) ] and just brought back this morning.
PS: They provided a (newish) 3 series car as substitutional vehicle. :|

crossed the fingers & waiting

Back