lucas2497

Precondition/departure not selectable

Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi folks,

New member here and I just picked up a 2018 i3s rex. When charging at work at a level 2 charger I wanted to precondition the vehicle. The bmw connected app does not work on my samsung s8 and while charging I wanted to setup the precondition and departure option in the vehicle menu but I cannot click it or set any values. Image

Any input?

Thanks,
Lucas

Shrink13

Re: Precondition/departure not selectable

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Try unclicking "charge immediately." Good luck.

lucas2497

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 am

Yea I tried to unclick several times and nothing.

graememwl

Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:22 am

Have you tried setting a departure time? AFAIK, this is a prerequisite for enabling pre-conditioning.

Gif

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07 pm

Ditto that, precondition for departure refers to battery and cabin and needs a departure time set to enable it.

lucas2497

Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks for the input folks. I cannot set the departure time. I can go into the submenu for setting the departure time but I cannot enter any values. It only displays all gray lettering. I was able to select the day bit it did not advance to time selection.

jadnashuanh

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Have you tried moving the cursor to the time slot, entering a value? That generally will cause the box above to be checked. Once the cursor is in that field, push on the control wheel to select, then enter a value...continue to minutes. Let us know. Mine has had time in there forever, so I don't remember the first time I tried.

Do you have an Android or iOS device? Have you tried to download the app and tried to do it from the app?

Not sure, but you probably can't click on the box because there's no valid time in the time window. Once you do get a value in there, you could click on the box.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

Gif

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Or as an alternative, login to the connected drive website and you can set it up using the remote cockpit section of that. I think as Jim says, you can’t enable a timer until you have selected one or more days of the week and a time.

I don’t think this part of the software is particularly intuitive to use and my manual was not helpful in explaining the concept.

I found the easiest settings to use was to select every day of the week for each departure time then set the three most common times I leave against the three departure times. That way it’s easy from the app to just select the nearest time and know that it’ll automatically work the next morning regardless of which day of the week it is.

I find I hardly use departure times other than in the morning. If it’s warm or cold later in the day I just use the precondition now option.

jadnashuanh

Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:24 am

You don't need to set a day...if none are selected, it will happen the next time that TOD occurs, one time only...but, the actual time will stay in the field. If you want to use that time again, then, you can just click on the box to activate it. Not having any particular schedule, I do not have any days selected and I find it works fine. If you want to set up for something by skipping a day or so, then you'd need to select a day for it to occur.

For optimal operation, the departure time should be at least 3, and preferably 4 hours in the future if it's really cold out. You can enter it anytime, but you may not benefit fully, since the battery may not have time to be fully conditioned. On a moderate day, it may not start doing much until nearly your departure time, if the battery is near ideal temp already.

For maximum efficiency, you might also set in a time window, even if you don't have off-peak charging , so that the window would mean the car would be charging before you left. When it's cold out, the act of charging will warm them, and the car may not need to use it's heater as much. YOu may need to play a bit with that so that there's enough time to actually get a full charge. I do not have off-peak charging where I live, so I've not played with that feature.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV
Soon (hopefully!) A 2021 X5 45e will replace the above

lucas2497

Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:22 am

Thank you for all the advice! I called bmw assist via the in cabin SOS button and now everything works. I had to register the car with the bmw network.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”