EVMan

Re: Which versions of the AC compressor have people had failures with?

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:50 pm

In my opinion , the variable speed AC , is a game clanger in comfort for me
The i3 AC is quite decent ....Not sure if others cars are as good
2017 33KWH Rex
Model 3 Long Range
Solar ToU Plan
DC USA

eXodus

Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:28 am

Variable Speed A/C is not only a game changer in cars but in residential.

I went from a On/Off A/C unit to a Mini Split Inverter variable unit. Everything is variable on that thing.

External Fan speed, Compressor Speed, Internal Fan speed. A nominal 12.000 BTU unit can regulate between 2500 and 14000 BTU. Sizing the A/C is much easier with such abilities.

I would love that BMW would have added a variable internal speed to the cabin Fan. But at least either I didn't found it - but my fan speed is stuck to the one I got selected on the dash.

Even my 1996 Volvo A/C already had an automatic adjusting Fan speed. You needed more - cool it gave you also full blast on the fan. Volvo usually had two temperature sensors for the Climate above the passenger.

joantucker

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:04 am

i3Alan wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:37 am
I took possession of my i3 in August, 2014. The only other AC work ever done was a recharge 2 weeks before the catastrophic failure.
I have almost the same thing as you took it off my tongue. I'm tired of fixing it already. I used to have more patience to fix these air conditioners myself. And I did preventive cleaning myself, poured freon, and poured it out. I even learned a little about how to detect a freon leak. From whom I just did not take advice. Most often, you have https://www.marvellous.sg/aircon-light-is-blinking/. I was sorry for the money for such frequent trips to the service. So I'm looking for some other model so that I don't worry so much. Now I don't have enough patience, and I don't have time. So I hope I will find an answer to my question on this forum.
Last edited by joantucker on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i3Alan

Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:40 am

joantucker wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:04 am
i3Alan wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:37 am
I took possession of my i3 in August, 2014. The only other AC work ever done was a recharge 2 weeks before the catastrophic failure.
I have almost the same thing as you took it off my tongue.
Where do you live, what was your repair estimate, and how did that i3 journey end up?

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”