Front Hood NOT Sealed Well

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maki

I purchased i3 one month ago and found plenty of fallen leaves under storage compartment (under front hood). It was my surprise that BMW designers missed this simple to resolve design problem. I assume that other things could come in as well like snow, dust or rain.

I think that the owner's manual warns you that the front is not sealed. The things in there from the factory appear to be mostly immune to moisture (the EVSE and the compressor). They do sell a bag if you want to keep them cleaner or dryer, but they won't be hurt as delivered. Now, could they, almost certainly, but chose not to maybe for weight, installation time, and cost.

That is probably BMW original logic not to seal but what if I find squirrel next day? I am planning to install a net or rubber seal trim myself.

The front compartment isn't weather sealed and that fact is definitely in the manual. My CA also pointed it out. There are at least two water tight bags in the accessory line. I got the Board Bag after seeing it a friend's Electronaut Edition. Quite happy with it. Hint: a quick search revealed online vendors selling the part for much less than MSRP.

My dealer pointed out that the front compartment was not weather-proof so I bought the bag to store the standard cable, the type 2 cable, tyre repair kit and towing eye.

Expensive, but fits well and keeps everything dry.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehicles/bmw-i/i3/2013/aftersales.html

It should be noted that the lack of seal is at the REAR lip, not the front edge, as I first assumed. Junk like leaves etc. falls down inside from beneath the windshield/wipers, etc. Very annoying and has caused me to double insulate my 120v charging set that rides around up there without the aid oaf their optional accessory bag; pathetic. :oops:

And while I am thinking about it, perhaps it is the BMW/Bridgestone snow tires' tread, but whatever, I have noticed a significant increase in ROAD NOISE that seems to be amplified (like inside a hollow drum) coming from up front since mounting the winter wheel set. I'm guessing it needs not only waterproofing, but sound deadening while they are up there trying to improve things.

BUMWA said:
And while I am thinking about it, perhaps it is the BMW/Bridgestone snow tires' tread, but whatever, I have noticed a significant increase in ROAD NOISE that seems to be amplified (like inside a hollow drum) coming from up front since mounting the winter wheel set. I'm guessing it needs not only waterproofing, but sound deadening while they are up there trying to improve things.
When I went to pick up my set of winter tires, I found that all four of them were mounted for the left-hand side of the car...the tires are directional, and will be noisy if they are not mounted correctly...I'd take a close look to verify that yours are all correct. I have not noticed any significant differences in tire noise with mine. The dealer swapped two of them on their rims for me for free, but you still must put them on the car rotating the proper way.

The mere fact there is drain holes in the compartment is a good sign BMW knew there was leaking issues. Mine was soaking wet one day without even driving that day!

Back