terminus

UK New 94Ah delivered at dealer, but they can't register it

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:00 am

Hello,
I have had a new 94Ah REx on order since May. It arrived in the UK this week and I am told today that it is now at my dealer. But (I'm tempted to shout!) they can't register it! Has anyone else in the UK had the same problem and/or know what the reason is?
I am suspicious that BMW UK have not done the appropriate registration of the 94Ah version as a new vehicle type and so it's not on the DVLA (central government driver and vehicle register in the UK) records. I don't know. I have phoned the central BMW i UK importers and they say "they know of the problem". The dealer themselves have no idea how long it will take to have the car registered and so available to me.
So near and yet so far!
Anyone else have any knowledge of this situation?
Best regards.

Chris

Re: UK New 94Ah delivered at dealer, but they can't registe

Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:24 am

I have been running an i3 since early March 2014. Having done around 35000miles in it I decided to chop it in and get the larger capacity battery version.

I've just had the same news from Sopers in Lincoln. Delivery would be this week but for the DVLA refund delay.

I have suggested that I pay the balance and they refund me when its paid. They are taking time to consider my suggestion.

Regards Chris

27.07.2016....latest news. Sopers will not allow me to pay the grant myself as they say the DVLA may refuse to pay it later if the car is driven before they check the new model.
Last edited by Chris on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AMG SLK55
Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid
BMW i3 ReX delivered 7th March 2014
Two push bikes and a wheel barrow.

OWG

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:20 pm

My 2017 is on the way across the North Atlantic now, expected to hit Halifax on Friday. I am in Ontario and the big concern I have is on our rebate for the EV incentive. The 2017 is still not listed with the Ontario government and until it is I cannot claim. It is a $13,000 CAD rebate, so that is money I am fronting until I get the rebate cheque. Also, we have up to $1000.00 rebate for the install of an L2 charger. That rebate cannot be claimed until the EV rebate has been confirmed. For both the car and the charger, I have up to 6 months to claim from purchase date.

I have inquired at the dealer level and they state it is a BMW corp responsibility to get the vehicles registered with the ministry to qualify for the rebate. I contacted the head office and they said to talk to my dealer. :roll:

Hearing your dilemma, I REALLY hope we don't have yet another hurdle to contend with.

BMW Canada appear completely disorganized and customer service is somewhat lacking at this point.

electricvirgin

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am

I too am told there is a delay with registering the new i3 for the electric vehicle grant, something one imagines would be high up the list at BMW given how many they are likely to sell without it!

Awaiting an update although my car is not due to dealer until next week anyway.

Jezzamk

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:44 pm

I think that the 94Ah i3 was supposed to be available from August. If this is correct I wonder if DVLA were given a date and won't release anything until that date.

I also ordered an i3 in May and have been given a delivery date of 30 Sept. I really want it earlier so that I don't have to have an MOT on my Z4. It also very close to the mileage when it needs its next service.

Hope DVLA & BMW sort it out so you get your i3 ASAP.

terminus

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Update:
I had an email from a very kind man at OLEV this afternoon that said
"Malcolm,
The BMW i3 94Ah has now been added to the list of vehicles eligible for the plug-in car grant.
Enjoy driving your new low emission BMW!
Best wishes, ..."
I have forwarded it to the salesperson I am dealing with at the BMW dealer in the hope that I will have the car by Sunday?
I must say that OLEV have been very helpful and open about what is going on - unlike BMW. It turns out that BMW did not submit the final documentation until Monday this week. (I am not impressed so far, I have bought VW's for the forty years before my Ampera last year.)
Good luck to new owners of the 94Ah - let's report on our experiences with it in this forum.

PluviaPlumbum

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:07 am

At least One has been delivered today Friday - so storm in a teacup. Enjoy your new car; plenty of help and useful info plus banter over on the i3 UK facebook group.
Born Electric 3/3/15 i3Rex, Andesit, Neutronic, Park Assist, Pan Roof, 429 Turbine Alloys, Pro Nav, DC Prep, Sun Protection Glass
Audi A4 2.4 Cabrio, VW High UP
@30/10/16 Total 23638miles 22315/1323 95%electric/Rex 5% 124.61 L fuel 48.20 mpg (imp)

terminus

Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:27 am

Nearly there. I now have the reg. no., insured, etc. Subject to my "Faster Payment" arriving in time (I think it will) then I shall be collecting 12:00 tomorrow.
------------------
It will be REx with absolutely "all the trimmings" except music subscription and cigarette lighter. May be I'll regret the choice of the blue, but, what the hell. It's more like a late-life-crisis for me than a mid-life-crisis. Been there, done that - a BMW K750 bike - delicious, but a bit scary.

terminus

Re: I Spoke too soon. Re: UK New 94Ah delivered at dealer,

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:04 am

terminus wrote:Nearly there. I now have the reg. no., insured, etc. Subject to my "Faster Payment" arriving in time (I think it will) then I shall be collecting 12:00 tomorrow.
About an hour after that posting I had a phone call from the trainee salesperson with the difficult job of dealing with my purchase. Yes, they now had the documents back from me, proof of insurance, and most importantly my money in their bank, BUT the car is faulty and cannot be charged! Given that by that time I understand they'd had the thing (sic) on their premises for a week, and I had been told a number of times that it was being made ready and that they only glitch was not due to them but to the stalled registration process, I was not pleased, to say the least.
If it weren't so damned annoying it would be funny - no it wouldn't. It is really almost incredible. The only sweetener they have offered is that when (I'm sondering if?) it ever is ready they have offered to pick me up and drive me to collect it (only 15 miles, but over a two hour journey by public transport otherwise).
So, I have to sit back and wait further news. It may be fixable by them? I can't work out how a car gets through their final checks off the production line and somehow on the train/ship/transporters to Leicester gets "broken".
I have totally lost faith in BMW, never having owned one before. No probs -quite the reverse - with good old VW through all these 45 years to date of buying new (petrol: Golf, Polo, Polo, Polo).
I really feel angry/helpless with the situation. I am told that Facebook is a good place to air complaints. Should I do that?
Given that my cash is now in their account, can anyone suggest what levers I can pull to get some redress?

MikeS

Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:48 am

BMW 3 Series 2005 - Aug 2014
BMW Z4 35i 2009 - Mar 2014
BMW X1 Mar 14
BMW i3 Sep 14

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”