Considering a BMW i3 60Ah BEV 2015 Production below 50000kms

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohm

Hi everyone,

Greetings from beautiful Portugal! :)

Keeping an eager eye on two 60Ah for my daily 50kms (35 miles) comute and one of them (let's call it car A) reads the following when checking its history on mdecoder:

ODOMETER CHECK
Status Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Event Detail
2019-06-26 LE CHESNAY 59,000 km Service Visit
2019-06-17 LE CHESNAY 58,000 km Service Visit
2018-03-07 LE CHESNAY 32,000 km Service Visit
2017-06-16 Espargo Santa Maria da Feira 15,000 km Service Visit
2016-06-28 Röhrsdorf b. Chemnitz 3,000 km Repair Jobs (2.92 hours)
2016-06-10 Röhrsdorf b. Chemnitz 1,000 km Repair Jobs (26.17 hours)
2015-10-08 Röhrsdorf b. Chemnitz 0,000 km Repair Jobs (0.67 hours)

ACCIDENT CHECK
No records found.

STOLEN VEHICLE DATABASE
No records found.

At first I thought that the "Repair Jobs" were something as the preparation of the vehicle. Then I read the history on the other car (car V) and it simply states:

ODOMETER CHECK
Status Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Event Detail
2018-03-13 Santo Antão do Tojal 23,000 km Service Visit
2017-07-11 Inspection Station 17,000 km Service Visit
2016-05-11 Santo Antão do Tojal 6,000 km Service Visit

ACCIDENT CHECK
No records found.

STOLEN VEHICLE DATABASE
No records found.

So, now I'm a bit suspicious as to what Repair Jobs may have been. Specially the one at 1000kms which lasted 26 hours?

Any ideas? Should I proceed extremely cautious with car A or just forget this one altogether?

Thank you for your insights, been reading the forum for some days now and it's been very educational.

P.S: I'm staying away off 2014 production cars and above 50000kms (40000 miles).

You don't say if the car(s) are BEV or Rex. I know on my 2015 Rex, looking up the repair history, I see a fuel pump relay replacement (very common fault covered by extended warranty), airbag sensor replacement (very common fault), and motor mount bolt replacement (original bolts were prone to shearing under heavy torque). If the mount bolts failed in car A, and cause additional damage, could account for the long repair time. All the repairs seem to have been done under 3K miles, with nothing since. If they are at BMW dealers, the service department can look up the repairs and get more detail. You may also be able to call your regional BMW office and get them to look up the actual service records, though not being the owner, they might not give out the info, worth a try though. Since car A seems to have been trouble free for over 55Kms, I wouldn't be too worried about the early repair history.

That's a great reply, thank you.

It's a BEV, sorry for not mentioning that, fixed on the subject line now.

Yeah, I was thinking call BMW Portugal, guess it won't hurt.

I think you may have a point there, if the car was problem free during 55kkms chances are that it is OK.

OK, called BMW Portugal, they can't give me that info, only to the present owner of the car.

He adviced me to check the Maintenance Book. Good call.

Back