eNate

Swapping 2017 / 2021 Leather Interior / Oak Trim?

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:56 am

Let's say, hypothetically, an i3 owner were to find a replacement i3, but with a less desirable interior.

Any speculation on how involved an interior swap would be? Not just seats and armrests, which ought to be straight forward enough, but the trim bordering the dash.

Edit post swap photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sZYiZMahN83jaA8E7
Last edited by eNate on Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

alohart

Re: Swapping Trim?

Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:04 am

I have been in this situation recently. If I found a nice 2018 or 2019 Giga BEV, I'd consider replacing our 2014 Giga BEV. However, most newer U.S. i3's seem to have Deka World trim. Deka World differs from Giga and Tera Worlds by not only upholstery and dashboard trim, but also some content like some interior LED lighting, maybe exterior LED lighting on the door handles, maybe buttons in the driver front door jam that open the frunk and hatch, and maybe other features. I don't want to have fewer features than our Giga which probably means considering only Giga and Tera World i3's which have the same content. However, I much prefer the lighter, brighter Giga World compared with the dark Tera World.

If I bought a Tera World, would I be able to swap the trim? I decided that doing so would be more work than I would want to do at my age, partly due to having only our 2 covered, non-adjacent apartment parking garage parking spaces to use during the trim swap which isn't ideal. I'd almost certainly be frustrated by all the trim clips that I would probably break. Paying a huge BMW parts price tax here in Honolulu where few alternative exist doesn't appeal to me.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

eNate

Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:22 pm

That's kind of the boat I'm in. IF I can score a good deal, I'm willing to give up the Tera interior, but mine is in great shape so it would be nice to be able to swap it in, assuming the colors match. I'm willing to give up the LED interior lights and Park Assist, but have my list of must haves. Assuming this doesn't work out, I'll happily stick with my 2017, which has exactly everything I like as far as options go.

frictioncircle

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm willing to give up the LED interior lights and Park Assist, but have my list of must haves.

Park Assist... if you mean the parallel parking assist, that's part of the "Technology + Driving Assistant Package", not necessarily the Giga World trim. Park Distance Control is standard.

I think the only trim that doesn't have the interior Ambience LED lighting is Deka World.

I recently picked up a 2021 i3s BEV which replaced my 2014 BEV. Both are Tera World and I would have gone with the Giga World interior given the choice but all the production slots were spoken for so you take what you can get, right? ;)

If you did the swap, would you do it completely? Change the door cards, armrest, all the brown trim on the dash, etc.? There's quite a lot of bits to change which always makes me cool on the idea every time I contemplate doing it!

eNate

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:23 pm

Yeah, that Park Assist. I thought I came across a few examples with Tech but without it. Maybe the were S's.

But it's not looking too hopeful. My three requirements are Tech, HK, and moonroof, and there just aren't many options out there. Dealers are asking for markups ($5000 in one case), and homie don't play that.

Transportation costs are sky high, I forfit a $1500 rebate if I buy out of state, and unlike CA dealers who are capped at $85 doc fees, I'm seeing $500 to $900 on the east coast, so I've imposed a somewhat restrictive search area.

Comme ci, comme ça. I'm happy with my "loaded" 2017 and don't mind not increasing my indebtednesd to BMW, or having to figure out how to detach leather wrapped plastic trim pieces without breakage.

But I'll still keep looking until the well is dry.

eNate

Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:22 pm

Never say never! Let's see if I update my signature on Tuesday.

But now I really to have to decide if I'm going to swap seats and maybe interior trim. Maybe seats and armrests, leaving the dashboard alone.

I've already decided to swap my dark oak pieces in. I think that'll be enough.

frictioncircle

Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:28 pm

Agreed on HK being a must-have!

If you're looking at 2021s, sometime in June BMW stopped offering HK sound as a build option due to the chip shortage, not just for i3s but for 5ers and 7ers, too.

My friend picked up a new 2021 BEV S that was built in May 2021 with HK so it was probably one of the last built before the option went away.

If you find one with HK know that you're looking at a unicorn! :D

eNate

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:04 pm

There are a few out there yet. I was homing in on the blue i3s currently in transit to Century West BMW in N Hollywood. Its build date is June 24 and it has the HK, but they know they've got a unicorn and are the ones who quoted me the 5k markup, no shame.

The one I landed is a January build. I don't know how it's sat for so long.

I had an order lined up that I walked away from because of the lack of the audio package.

eNate

Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:55 am

frictioncircle wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:19 pm

Park Assist... if you mean the parallel parking assist, that's part of the "Technology + Driving Assistant Package", not necessarily the Giga World trim.
Just reviewed the 2021 window sticker, and Park Assist is listed as a $200 line item option separate from the Tech option.

My 2017, on the other hand, lists Parking Assistance Package as a $1000 option.

Maybe BMW broke up this package when backup cameras became standard equipment in the US?

This new car is Mega trim. Think it'll have the LED cabin mood lights?

2020i3

Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:08 pm

Harmon Kardon (HK) i3 sitting in Las Vegas, no markup to the MSRP.

$11,000 military rebate through TrueCar is available to use when purchasing.

https://www.bmwvegas.com/new/BMW/2021-B ... de503e.htm

They've got a base Giga World and a more loaded one a short distance away in Henderson too. None them have a REX. A plus in my book.

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”