Kimmers000

Re: On the verge of purchasing

Well, just to keep things interesting, I just found a 2018 s BEV. About the same mileage as the 2019 BEV I was looking at, $1000 less than the ‘19, both Giga, and the ‘18 has the benefit of the premium sound system that everyone raves about.

What do you guys think about the real world range (especially if mostly freeway for the 90ish mile round trip that would be about the max I would ever like to do without a charge) of the ‘18 s BEV?

The ‘18 brings the sport option as well as the premium sound to the table (and it’s grey, which I like better than the blue).

Edited to add: do I need winter tires for the s if I live in a mild climate (more rain than anything in the winter)?
Arm

Kimmers000 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:56 pm Well, just to keep things interesting, I just found a 2018 s BEV. About the same mileage as the 2019 BEV I was looking at, $1000 less than the ‘19, both Giga, and the ‘18 has the benefit of the premium sound system that everyone raves about.

What do you guys think about the real world range (especially if mostly freeway for the 90ish mile round trip that would be about the max I would ever like to do without a charge) of the ‘18 s BEV?

The ‘18 brings the sport option as well as the premium sound to the table (and it’s grey, which I like better than the blue).

Edited to add: do I need winter tires for the s if I live in a mild climate (more rain than anything in the winter)?
I live in So Cal. During the summers I consistently get 125-130 miles per charge. In winter (rain, colder weather, etc) I get around 110-120 per charge. I go to Orange County and back consistently throughout the year....stop and go traffic. 120 miles round trip. I average 40 MPH and when I arrive home I still have about 18-20% charge. I have a 2018 i3s BEV with 49k miles on it, sunroof, etc.

I had a 2017 i3 some years back as a lease. I've had 2 other S models (REXs). It's night and day between the regular i3 and the S...and quite a bit of difference even between the REX and BEV S. The BEV feels lighter, more nimble, is considerably quicker on the roll...considerably...even from the REX S. It also rides better...just feels more chuck-able and controllable.
frictioncircle

Kimmers000 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:56 pm Well, just to keep things interesting, I just found a 2018 s BEV. About the same mileage as the 2019 BEV I was looking at, $1000 less than the ‘19, both Giga, and the ‘18 has the benefit of the premium sound system that everyone raves about.

If you mostly listen to podcasts and talk radio, the base sound system will be fine but if you like music, you must get the Harman Kardon upgrade.
frictioncircle

eNate wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:59 pm In the SF Bay Area we don't have frequent torrential rains, but I do admire the i3 for plowing through heavy downpours on the freeway without getting squirrely. Perhaps the combination of its relative heavy weight and skinny tires doesn't allow it to hydroplane easily.

eNate –

Curious about an i3's "relatively heavy weight".

My 2014 BEV weighed 2,880 lbs. My 2021 (double the range + a heavy sunroof) weighs about 3150 lbs.

The only lighter, common, production car that I can think of is an ND2 Mazda Miata. One of those weighs, at the maximum, less than 2400 lbs.
eNate

The base Miata runs on 195s. The 2,000# Mirage (2015) runs on 165s.

I could phrase that differently and say the i3 tires are relatively narrow for the weight of the vehicle. But the i3 is heavier than it looks. Just missed Motortrend's top 20 list.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/20- ... n-the-u-s/
2 0 2 1   B M W   i 3   1 2 0 A h   B E V  O a k l a n d
 Wokeby Trunk Extension | Duosida 16A L1 EVSE
 SeaSucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack

Return to “Buying the BMW i3”