Deutsch100

Re: End of production

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 am

MKH wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:21 am
MKH, I haven't been to my dealer in a long time – it's really disappointing to hear that the ones in your area have switched to order-only.
This has been the issue for the last year or so - but may have been exacerbated by the COVID BMW plant shutdown. Was pleasantly surprised to actually see two new i3's on the floor of our local premier BMW dealer this week - and attractive lease deals being offered again on the i3 by BMW.

Maybe this was all a short term shortage thing, with the bulk of recent limited i3 production targeted at European sales to meet EU 'Green Car' mandates.
I think so. During the last 12 months our local BMW dealers had essentially NO i3 in stock, and in the last month now...they all have 2-4 in stock, including i3S and even a few BEV (although most are REX). Our closest BMW dealer has an incredible 2021 i3S BEV in stock, fully loaded. If my 2020 i3S REX was not just 7 months old, I would try and trade for the BEV (although REX does bring me comfort and takes range anxiety away).
2020 i3S Rex; Capparis White

alohart

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:49 am

Deutsch100 wrote:
During the last 12 months our local BMW dealers had essentially NO i3 in stock, and in the last month now...they all have 2-4 in stock, including i3S and even a few BEV (although most are REX).
Similar at BMW of Honolulu which has 1 i3 and 3 i3S, all 2021 models. Either BMW of Honolulu has finally stopped stocking REx models which are ridiculous for our small, isolated island or buyers have bought all the REx models leaving unpopular BEV's remaining to be sold.

Unfortunately, all 4 of them have Deka World interiors. Why are such a high percentage of recent U.S. i3's Deka World models? Deka World is missing some nice interior lighting. I suppose a new i3 buyer wouldn't know this. Maybe this is a way to minimize the high i3 MSRP.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

gt1

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:42 pm

So I talked to the dealer. He said that our area (not sure if he meant Mid Atlantic or the entire East Coast) isn't getting i3 allocations by default- only by orders. He said that the orders are open until October, and he has no info on what is coming afterwards. He made me a nice offer- I could configure a car I like, and if he likes this build he will order it and it would be up to me to buy it. I may do just that sometime in September. By the time it will arrive we will know about 2022.
frictioncircle wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:43 pm
If you think of an i3 as a city car (which I do) it's a well thought-out machine, which makes one wonder, what else does this design need? (not much, in my opinion!)
The cruise control is outdated, no lane departure warning, noAndroidAuto/CarPlay, no heated steering wheel (a must for anEV!), no power seats. All these features are present on much cheaper cars by now.

agzand

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 pm

There is a credible rumor on Bimmerpost forum indicating i3 production will end in 6/22 (about 14 months from now). That means the 2022 model will be the last model year, also indicating upgraded battery pack is cancelled (doesn't make sense for 1 model year only). This is obviously a rumor but from a source who has been accurate before.

Deutsch100

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 pm

alohart wrote:
Deutsch100 wrote:
During the last 12 months our local BMW dealers had essentially NO i3 in stock, and in the last month now...they all have 2-4 in stock, including i3S and even a few BEV (although most are REX).
Similar at BMW of Honolulu which has 1 i3 and 3 i3S, all 2021 models. Either BMW of Honolulu has finally stopped stocking REx models which are ridiculous for our small, isolated island or buyers have bought all the REx models leaving unpopular BEV's remaining to be sold.

Unfortunately, all 4 of them have Deka World interiors. Why are such a high percentage of recent U.S. i3's Deka World models? Deka World is missing some nice interior lighting. I suppose a new i3 buyer wouldn't know this. Maybe this is a way to minimize the high i3 MSRP.
My 2019 i3S was Deka...and while I liked it a lot, I LOVE my Terra with leather, wood and all the LED lighting upgrades inside and the exterior handles. Our dealers say REX is most popular, but of course if you want all electric, REX is a turn off.

Deutsch100

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 pm

gt1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:42 pm
So I talked to the dealer. He said that our area (not sure if he meant Mid Atlantic or the entire East Coast) isn't getting i3 allocations by default- only by orders. He said that the orders are open until October, and he has no info on what is coming afterwards. He made me a nice offer- I could configure a car I like, and if he likes this build he will order it and it would be up to me to buy it. I may do just that sometime in September. By the time it will arrive we will know about 2022.
frictioncircle wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:43 pm
If you think of an i3 as a city car (which I do) it's a well thought-out machine, which makes one wonder, what else does this design need? (not much, in my opinion!)
The cruise control is outdated, no lane departure warning, noAndroidAuto/CarPlay, no heated steering wheel (a must for anEV!), no power seats. All these features are present on much cheaper cars by now.
My 2020 i3S was $60k, so while not super expensive...expensive enough that it should have power seats and a heated steering wheel (I'd like a power steering wheel too). I miss lane departure warning, as my last 4-5 cars before the i3 had it, and I really liked it!

frictioncircle

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 pm

agzand wrote:
There is a credible rumor on Bimmerpost forum indicating i3 production will end in 6/22 (about 14 months from now). That means the 2022 model will be the last model year, also indicating upgraded battery pack is cancelled (doesn't make sense for 1 model year only). This is obviously a rumor but from a source who has been accurate before.

Hello agzand –

Any chance you could share a link? I want to swap my 2014 BEV for the final year of production and if BMW moves that to 2022, then that changes my timeline!

frictioncircle

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:11 pm

Deutsch100 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 pm
My 2020 i3S was $60k, so while not super expensive...expensive enough that it should have power seats and a heated steering wheel (I'd like a power steering wheel too). I miss lane departure warning, as my last 4-5 cars before the i3 had it, and I really liked it!

Deutsch100 –

Yes, ACC really needs help. Think about when that tech (Mobileye) was validated for production – it was probably 2011 or 2012, nearly a decade ago!

Yes on the heated steering wheel! I don't even live in that cold of an area but I dream about having one any time I go out when the temps are in the 50s or lower.

Lane departure warning... my only experience with this tech is from the newer BMWs that I've gotten as a loaner when bringing my 2014 i3 in for service – those have been an F22 235i, an F44 2 Series Grand Coupe, and an F39 X2. After trying out the tech for a day or so I ended up turning it off as it seemed to false quite a bit.

The blind spot monitoring, though, was pretty good.

frictioncircle

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:22 pm

alohart wrote:
Why are such a high percentage of recent U.S. i3's Deka World models? Deka World is missing some nice interior lighting. I suppose a new i3 buyer wouldn't know this. Maybe this is a way to minimize the high i3 MSRP.

In 2019 a friend bought a brand-new 2019 i3 Deka – a mutual friend (and 2019 i3s Tera owner) and I were completely surprised that the Deka trim level has no Ambience interior lighting! And it's not even something that can be coded for, the LEDs are just not there.

BMW doesn't go out of the way to make this clear when ordering.

What a bummer... Ambience lighting has been a BMW thing since the E46 debuted in the late 1990s / early 2000s.

agzand

Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:45 pm

frictioncircle wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 pm
agzand wrote:

Hello agzand –

Any chance you could share a link? I want to swap my 2014 BEV for the final year of production and if BMW moves that to 2022, then that changes my timeline!
Here is the link to BMW future model information thread:

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/show ... st14820299

Return to “General / Main i3 Owners Forum”