Drivetrain malfunction: Drive moderately. Maximum drivetrain output not available.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidJRock

Looking for help on this error message. I have seen a lot of posts about drivetrain malfunction but none with this exact wording. I have a 2017 Rex with 50k miles. I had the 12v battery replaced less than a year ago. The car has almost no power, I can get it up to 30mph on a flat road. I have an old ODB reader that has the following DTC.

P1C15
P2097 (Inactive)
CD8C40 (Inactive)

Shutting it off and back on does not help. I have a new reader that works with Bimmerlink arriving today. I'll get better codes tonight. Any thoughts?

I was able to get some more codes and it sounds like it needs a reprogram.

222011 eMachines resolver adjustment not carried out or rotor position sensor offset not in the tolerance band.

Saga continues, I got an enet cable and a copy of ISTA. I try to run the recalibration and it wants a 6 digit offset code from the motor. I looked under the car where the code should be and its blank. Anyone know if it could be written somewhere else? Is this code unique for my car?

SolidJRock –

Thank you for posting! I've been on this board since 2016 and haven't come across your particular error before.

Any chance you could describe where you found your E-machine's offset code? It'd be helpful for folks that run into this problem in the future.

frictioncircle said:
SolidJRock –

Thank you for posting! I've been on this board since 2016 and haven't come across your particular error before.

Any chance you could describe where you found your E-machine's offset code? It'd be helpful for folks that run into this problem in the future.

No problem! It can be seen from underneath. I used ramps to elevate the rear end. There is a rectangular protrusion on the bottom of the motor where they etched a few lines of information including the code. It's a 6 digit number after OFFS on the bottom line. When I first looked at it, it was solid Grey so I thought it was missing. After cleaning it the numbers showed up.

I just had the same issue recently with my car and it turns out that I have 2 worn-out spark plugs which caused the error message to occur, when I replaced all of the spark plugs, the car returned to regular operation then erase the existing code.

SolidJRock, can you give any detail on setting up the computer for the software, and what version of the software is needed? What version of Windows? Drive space needed? RAM requirements?

Any specific OBD hardware needed, or just a generic ethernet OBD cable?
Is ICOM needed? (I don't even know what that is/does)

I'm replacing the drive motor in my 2015 BEV, and the replacement motor has the Offset 6-digit code.

Thanks in advance!

Back