Will US models be available for European Delivery?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uter

Having previously picked up a car in Munich via the BMW European Delivery program, I'm wondering if it's possible for US-spec i3's to be delivered to the Welt.

The typical cost savings for ED is substantial (and here's hoping the BMWCCA rebate applies to the i3, too).

I am very curious about that as well. I am planning a euro trip next summer and would like to get the car at that time.

Will def need to Rex version for that trip though.

I just talked to my dealer and he says that, traditionally, special cars such as the M3 or M5 do not get Euro Delivery the first year because there is so much demand for them. He said he thought the same would apply for the i3 but it was only his guess bc BMW has not decided/announced yet.

Bmachine said:
I just talked to my dealer and he says that, traditionally, special cars such as the M3 or M5 do not get Euro Delivery the first year because there is so much demand for them. He said he thought the same would apply for the i3 but it was only his guess bc BMW has not decided/announced yet.

Hmm, European Delivery cars don't come from dealer allotment except those cars you mentioned. Dealers have little incentive to ED an allotted car that they could sell to someone else at higher profit. ED is about purchasing from BMW NA, and the dealer's profit is simply for pushing paper (say $500-1000 over ED invoice).
As I see it, the questions are:
Will BMW NA sell the car via ED, or will all i3's be allocated to dealers?
Secondly, since it's a US spec car, is it compatible with European chargers?

uter said:
Bmachine said:
Secondly, since it's a US spec car, is it compatible with European chargers?

In Germany an US spec i3 should charge at 16 or 20amps with a Type2 to Type1 adapter cable. BMW would have to sell or loan the adapter cables to ED customers.

Car will take 6 to 8 hours to charge at those rates. There is a good public charge network in and around Munich.

Zero Carbon World sells these adapter cables for £199. UK Leaf drivers use them since UK Leaf has the American Type-1 connector on it.

32amp_type1_type2_240.jpg

Hello all.. First post on this i3 forum.

I was at the Active E Electronaut event for the i3 at LA Auto Show and this particular question was asked and the answer from the group from BMW i was a resounding no.

I would've loved to have taken delivery of an i3 and participated in WAVE with the Euro EV crowd.

Hope that they change their minds.

Yes I was at the show as well and got the same answer.

When you think about it, it kinda makes sense. Euro delivery is for people who want to combine a touring vacation of Europe with the purchase of their new car. You can't do much touring with a car that gets a maximum of 90 or 150 mile range.

The test drive was really awesome though. This is an awesome car. But that burnt orange color is pretty ghastly... (IMHO of course)

Bmachine said:

When you think about it, it kinda makes sense. Euro delivery is for people who want to combine a touring vacation of Europe with the purchase of their new car. You can't do much touring with a car that gets a maximum of 90 or 150 mile range.

The test drive was really awesome though. This is an awesome car. But that burnt orange color is pretty ghastly... (IMHO of course)

I disagree... I'm sure with the REX, one can go and just stop every so many miles. Without the REX, just takes patience. So, the touring becomes more of a meandering stroll than a brisk walk, but that's fine.

That is certainly a positive way to look at it. ;-)

dennis said:
Bmachine said:

I disagree... I'm sure with the REX, one can go and just stop every so many miles. Without the REX, just takes patience. So, the touring becomes more of a meandering stroll than a brisk walk, but that's fine.

Bmachine said:
That is certainly a positive way to look at it. ;-)

dennis said:
Bmachine said:

Yup... Get to see MORE of the country (and charging stations, etc.) Perhaps they will have a network of CCS DC charging stations up and running in Germany in no time.

Back