keithijb

Re: Installing after market backup camera

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:12 pm

helmethair3000 wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know, after about 6 mos of owning a used 2014 i3 I was able to successfully get a backup camera installed for less than $600 US in Los Angeles. It's fantastic, and uses the i3's monitor as display. Automatically comes on when reversing, has working steering/parking lines, and even works with the i3's stock distance sensors (shows on the screen with markers potential hazards the car can hit). The company that makes the interface kit is NavTV (https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT717/b ... c-kit.html).

This is certainly much more affordable than the $2200 option dealers were telling me to install with the OEM version.

-drew
Can you tell me where in LA you have your camera installed?

vinc

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Same here! Would love to know how did it in LA and cost...

Star63

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 am

I also installed an after market camera last weekend. I bought the video interface directly from China (Aliexpress):

A Sony camera:

The installation was not as smooth as I was hoping for. I had to modify the pin orientation of the LVDS cables but now everything seems to work well :P

The car image on the PDC display has changed, though :roll:

2014 BMW i3 REX

REvans2001

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Nice of you to share the details. Thank you. I think I might just go for a 2017 if I can get over my fear about BMW expensive repairs and battery obsolesence.

Thanks again for the post.

kpsfo

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:45 am

Star63 wrote:I also installed an after market camera last weekend. I bought the video interface directly from China (Aliexpress):

A Sony camera:

The installation was not as smooth as I was hoping for. I had to modify the pin orientation of the LVDS cables but now everything seems to work well :P

The car image on the PDC display has changed, though :roll:

Hi @Star63,

can you please share details about the unit you bought on Aliexpress? There are several different versions (NBT vs NBT Evo,...).

Thanks in advance!

Star63

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:41 am

This is the one I ordered:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-Med ... 30200.html

I had to modify the LVDS cables and I wasn't able to make the unit work with a front camera. The rear view camera works well.
2014 BMW i3 REX

swingkat420

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:51 pm

So I assume you installed the unit under the rear seat. Just looking at the link what are the pin settings you used? What kind of alteration did you do for the cable to work back to the front display?

phoang8807

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:30 am

Hi can you give more details how you did
modify the pin orientation of the LVDS cables?
Maybe some pictures maybe some pictures?

I was gonna get this it's cheaper than the navtool? No info how to install the navtool though

Star63

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:08 pm

The new Video Interface is meant to be used in other BMW models and installed under the dash. The existing long LVDS cable is supposed to connect the Head Unit to the Video Interface and the supplied new LVDS cable would go from the Interface to the Screen.

In BMW i3 the Video Interface must go under the rear seat. The new cable will now connect the Head Unit to the Interface and the existing cable the Interface to the Screen. This will cause two issues:

1. Pin orientation of the new cable should be copied from the existing long cable. And the long cable needs to be modified so, that the orientation is the same at both ends.

2. The new cable must have an angled connector to fit in the Head Unit. I ordered a new cable with such a connector. It might have been possible to swap the angled connector from the existing (long) cable.
2014 BMW i3 REX

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”