Jeremy

Bigger Rex fuel tank

Since the tiny REx fuel tank is only to meet US regulatory requirements - can we have an optional 5gallon/25l tank for other markets?

Maybe some enterprising third party company could offer a conversion.

Otherwise we're all going to be driving around with 5 gallon cans in the boot like WW2 black marketeers!
Stevei3

Re: Bigger Rex fuel tank

Hi Jeremy,

it may or may not be because of the US regulations, but the physical space for the fuel tank is very constrained. According to my research the tank houses inside the frame, behind the front axle. I've marked the components I could make out (to the best of my ability) in red:

From my post in this thread: http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 5&start=10

Steven

PS: where should the tank go ? You wouldn't want to end up with a Pinto-firebomb just behind the front bumper...
pdurham

We had paid a deposit and had an i3 REx on order when we learned that the U.S. model would have a 7-liter (1.9-gallon) fuel tank rather than the 9-liter (2.4-gallon) tank fitted in Europe. I had been aware of rumors of the smaller tank on U.S. models when we originally placed the order, so I expressly reserved the right to cancel if the tank was not 9 liters. The dealer believed it was 9 liters, so had no problem accommodating what it probably believed was my crazy request to place that condition on our order. When the first BEV arrived at the dealership, the salesman checked the owner's manual and confirmed that the tank was 7 liters. He called me with the news, and we cancelled the order.

Sounds crazy I know, but we plan to use the car for a once-monthly trip of about 200 miles in a day (through an area with widely scattered fuel stops). That extra 1/2 gallon was important to us.

Here's my question: Does anyone know if the European tank could be fitted to a U.S. i3 REx?
i3 REx (Andesite Silver, Giga interior, all options except 20" wheels)
June 3, 2014 to present
Gonville

That is very sad.

F10 LCI 535D 2013-
i3 ordered 9APR14 delivery Oct...now Born Electric 29 NOV. BEV Laurus Grey, Suite, 19" 429 Turbine, All boxes ticked (including HK) no sunroof.
ChargeBump – A simple solution for "EV charge rage"

buickanddeere

pdurham wrote:We had paid a deposit and had an i3 REx on order when we learned that the U.S. model would have a 7-liter (1.9-gallon) fuel tank rather than the 9-liter (2.4-gallon) tank fitted in Europe. I had been aware of rumors of the smaller tank on U.S. models when we originally placed the order, so I expressly reserved the right to cancel if the tank was not 9 liters. The dealer believed it was 9 liters, so had no problem accommodating what it probably believed was my crazy request to place that condition on our order. When the first BEV arrived at the dealership, the salesman checked the owner's manual and confirmed that the tank was 7 liters. He called me with the news, and we cancelled the order.

Sounds crazy I know, but we plan to use the car for a once-monthly trip of about 200 miles in a day (through an area with widely scattered fuel stops). That extra 1/2 gallon was important to us.

Here's my question: Does anyone know if the European tank could be fitted to a U.S. i3 REx?
Dealer probably didn't care a bit. The first of the BMWi3 models would sell quick with more buyers than vehicles.
If it's a US federal regulation . There is not a hope of BMW shipping an illegal tank for one sale.
I would suspect somebody with a tape measure and some 4,5 or 6" dia aluminum pipe could whip up a custom tank(s). That would fit inside a frame rail and hold 2-4 gallons. Simple enough to plumb in a fill from the factory tank .
mindmachine

buickanddeere wrote:
pdurham wrote:We had paid a deposit and had an i3 REx on order when we learned that the U.S. model would have a 7-liter (1.9-gallon) fuel tank rather than the 9-liter (2.4-gallon) tank fitted in Europe. I had been aware of rumors of the smaller tank on U.S. models when we originally placed the order, so I expressly reserved the right to cancel if the tank was not 9 liters. The dealer believed it was 9 liters, so had no problem accommodating what it probably believed was my crazy request to place that condition on our order. When the first BEV arrived at the dealership, the salesman checked the owner's manual and confirmed that the tank was 7 liters. He called me with the news, and we cancelled the order.

Dealer probably didn't care a bit. The first of the BMWi3 models would sell quick with more buyers than vehicles.
If it's a US federal regulation . There is not a hope of BMW shipping an illegal tank for one sale.
I would suspect somebody with a tape measure and some 4,5 or 6" dia aluminum pipe could whip up a custom tank(s). That would fit inside a frame rail and hold 2-4 gallons. Simple enough to plumb in a fill from the factory tank .
It's not a federal regulation for all 50 states, it is for the CARB states only so that BMW can get more CARB credits to enable it to sell gas guzzlers in those states without having to pay more in carb fines/fees.

So basically they (BMW) hampered the flexibility of the vehicle for customers in all 50 states in order to fatten their own wallet (basically).
I33t

I guess the next step in this sorry tale is to have a look at the actual tank and compare it with the tanks in the rest of the world. It's possible BMW just added a fill piece or some kind of restriction to the original tank to reduce capacity. If that is the case, it might be an easy fix.
2014 BMW i3 BEV deposit placed 19th Dec 2013
Delivered in Melbourne 4/12/2014. Arrived locally 11/12/14, with 24km on the clock.
Surge

I feel bad for you, but you acted on incorrect information.
There is NO difference in size in REx fuel tanks!

There was an error somewhere in the marketing chain; someone confused US gallons with UK gallons.
The tank in the US is the same size as in Europe! You should not have cancelled your order. Oh well - no worry, once the initial orders are filled, I don't think you'll have any problems getting one. They are literally sitting on the lots here in Toronto.
NOT- Soon to be ordered:
i3 • Lodge interior • Tech package • DC fast charge • gray or white
Gonville

mindmachine wrote:
It's not a federal regulation for all 50 states, it is for the CARB states only so that BMW can get more CARB credits to enable it to sell gas guzzlers in those states without having to pay more in carb fines/fees.

So basically they (BMW) hampered the flexibility of the vehicle for customers in all 50 states in order to fatten their own wallet (basically).
I can't quite see how the BMW efficient dynamics engineering is seen as "gas guzzling". In the UK the entire range of BMW vehicles is well below the CO2 output of other manufacturers who are struggling to catch up. Take a look at Audi, Mercedes not to mention General Motors. BMW has won awards for bringing everyday models below the 100g threshold. Other manufacturers of small compact cars are now having to match that and they are certainly not gas guzzlers by any stretch.

BMW left Formula 1 in part because it didn't require a focus on efficiency. Now Bernie has had to introduce a 100litre limit on fuel per race and hybrid electrics with regen into the formula. All the other gas guzzler manufacturers had to be forced to that. Oh and I think Honda dropped out for the same reasons?

Are they trying to build efficient vehicles and make a profit as well as complying with regulations? Of course.

F10 LCI 535D 2013-
i3 ordered 9APR14 delivery Oct...now Born Electric 29 NOV. BEV Laurus Grey, Suite, 19" 429 Turbine, All boxes ticked (including HK) no sunroof.
ChargeBump – A simple solution for "EV charge rage"

mindmachine

Gonville wrote:
mindmachine wrote:

I can't quite see how the BMW efficient dynamics engineering is seen as "gas guzzling". In the UK the entire range of BMW vehicles is well below the CO2 output of other manufacturers who are struggling to catch up. Take a look at Audi, Mercedes not to mention General Motors. BMW has won awards for bringing everyday models below the 100g threshold. Other manufacturers of small compact cars are now having to match that and they are certainly not gas guzzlers by any stretch.

BMW left Formula 1 in part because it didn't require a focus on efficiency. Now Bernie has had to introduce a 100litre limit on fuel per race and hybrid electrics with regen into the formula. All the other gas guzzler manufacturers had to be forced to that. Oh and I think Honda dropped out for the same reasons?

Are they trying to build efficient vehicles and make a profit as well as complying with regulations? Of course.
Never the less that is why they want the REX version rated as a BEVx here so thay can get more carb credits for each one sold in the state of California. It has to do with meeting fleet fuel economy requirements. The ability of a car company to be able to sell has to do with the fuel efficiency ratings of all the cars they want to sell as a fleet overall number. Plus I aslo think California mandated recently that the company must also sell some quantity of zero emission vehicles too. That is why Toyota only sells the Prius plug-in and the Rave 4 EV in CARB states in the US. Google the CARB laws.

Return to “Suggestions for BMW”