CharonPDX

Can't code key fob trunk button to open frunk?

I've used BimmerCode to change button 4 to do preconditioning, but no matter what setting I pick for button 3, it only ever opens the rear hatch. What am I doing wrong?

I have set RC_DEFAULT_IDG_3RD_BUTTON_SHORT _MID and _LONG to Wert_05. I've tried setting every combination of those three options to Wert_00, Wert_02 and Wert_05. (Short and Mid to _00, Long to _05, is what I have now, even a mid-length press causes the rear hatch to open. Yes, I have tried setting short to _05 to try to "cut off" the mid-press-rear-open, but it doesn't help.)

4th button mid to _07 with short and long on _00 causes preconditioning to happen on a mid-length press.
ComebackKing

Re: Can't code key fob trunk button to open frunk?

This is really the only thing I want to change at the moment. I look at the bimmercode app website and I don't see where this is possible.
briantompo

CharonPDX,
Were you ever able to code your fob to open the frunk?
I’ve had exactly the same experience with my 2016 REx using both key fobs. I made and saved changes within Bimmercode but the instant I press button 3, the rear trunk opens. I WAS able to assign “cabin precondition” to a medium press of button 4 (panic button). For reference, car came from Colorado and button 3 on both fobs depicts an i8 with the trunk open.
Brian
SSi3

I'm having the same problem on my 2019, it won't open the frunk. I had coded my 2015 no problem but now it seems bimmercode might be out of sync with the latest BMW software?
Born electric 4/25/15 (2015 REx)
Re-born fully electric 7/27/19 (2019 i3s BEV)
iConrad

I'm reviving this thread to find out if anyone knows something about why this can't be coded in some i3's anymore. From what I can figure out, it either has to do with the model year of the i3 or if it has comfort access installed, or both. Does anyone have the keyfob programmed to open the frunk that has a 2016+ i3 and/or has comfort access?
mrken

I remember being able to coding key 3 to open the frunk instead of the trunk using E-sys. The settings got wiped after the dealer upgraded the integration level.

I tried coding key 3 to open the frunk using Bimmercode but have not been successful. So either the new integration level or Bimmercode prevents key 3 from opening the frunk.
mrken

Got remote key 3 to open the frunk! Opened BimmerCode expert mode in Headunit HU_NBT - 3000 HMI and changed all of the KEY_CONF_* settings to aktiv (0x01) and KEY_CONF_TAILGATE_SMALL_NAME to frontgate (0x03). iDrive now shows menu items for the 3rd and 4th remote button.

The trunk entries for the 3rd button changed to bonnet, and the key now opens the frunk on both short and long press. The function for the 4th button also follows the iDrive selection rather than what was coded in RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_MID. Even better being able to change the key function without having to recode. RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_LONG still follows whatever is coded.
Last edited by mrken on Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
alohart

mrken wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:09 pmGot remote key 3 to open the frunk! Opened BimmerLink expert mode in Heatunit HU_NBT - 3000 HMI and changed all of the KEY_CONF_* settings to aktiv (0x01) and KEY_CONF_TAILGATE_SMALL_NAME to frontgate (0x03).
Did you mean to write "BimmerCode"?
Aloha,
Art

2019 BMW i3 Imperial Blue Metallic, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Heat Pump, 428 Wheels
[SOLD!] 2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging
JuiceBox EVSE
mrken

alohart wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:15 pm
mrken wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:09 pmGot remote key 3 to open the frunk! Opened BimmerLink expert mode in Heatunit HU_NBT - 3000 HMI and changed all of the KEY_CONF_* settings to aktiv (0x01) and KEY_CONF_TAILGATE_SMALL_NAME to frontgate (0x03).
Did you mean to write "BimmerCode"?
Sorry, yes, BimmerCode and Headunit.
SSi3

mrken wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:09 pm Got remote key 3 to open the frunk! Opened BimmerCode expert mode in Headunit HU_NBT - 3000 HMI and changed all of the KEY_CONF_* settings to aktiv (0x01) and KEY_CONF_TAILGATE_SMALL_NAME to frontgate (0x03). iDrive now shows menu items for the 3rd and 4th remote button.

The trunk entries for the 3rd button changed to bonnet, and the key now opens the frunk on both short and long press. The function for the 4th button also follows the iDrive selection rather than what was coded in RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_MID. Even better being able to change the key function without having to recode. RC_DEFAULT_IDG_4TH_BUTTON_LONG still follows whatever is coded.
oh amazing mrken, i will give this a try on mine!
Born electric 4/25/15 (2015 REx)
Re-born fully electric 7/27/19 (2019 i3s BEV)

Return to “Technical BMW i3 Discussions”