A/C off but blowing cold air

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, I would also expect the a/c to turn off in the case where you push the a/c button and the light goes out. In my i3 that's exactly what happens, so I definitely agree with you there.

As far as manual vs automatic, I do see what you mean just that my experience with the examples you gave has been opposite. I greatly appreciate the auto dimming mirror and climate control to the point I'm annoyed by both being manual in our other car.

Hope your car is fixed shortly. Agree on the electric car thing and the good news is it seems the the other manufacturers are slowly "waking up" so even if BMW messes up at least there will be more options for us all next time.

I've experienced the same problem as the OP. Cold air, not ambient air, but cold air, coming from the ventilation system when the AC is OFF. I've been to the shop twice because I also had problems with hot air when the AC was on about 20% of the time. They fixed some problems with pinched wires and sensors so the AC now works when I want it, but I still occasionally get cold air when I don't want it.

It's an odd situation. It made me wonder if perhaps the AC was cooling the batteries and cold air in the vents was just a byproduct of that. However, I also experienced this in the loaner 320 they gave me when the i3 was in the shop, so maybe it's just a BMW thing.

In any case, the OP is not imagining it, I've experienced the same thing.

I have also noticed the vents blowing cooled air after "turning off" the A/C by pressing the A/C button. I've checked the display that show climate control impact on range when this happens and it has always indicated zero miles. Reviewing the owners manual I found some unclear text in the AUTO button description "The cooling function, refer to page 131, is switched on automatically with the AUTO program." I do not think the car was trying to lower the humidity since this was on dry days in Colorado.

I have discovered that in ECO PRO+ you can set the cruise control above 56 and the car will go that speed with no more complaint than displaying the blue lead-foot icon.

How does one turn off the heat without resorting to ECO PRO+? The lowest the thermostat can be set is 60 degrees fahrenheit.

Back