Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Replacement

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacyMay

Check Engine Light (CLE) was triggered through OBD2 scanner that the Air Temperature Sensor was faulty. The console panel says it's 122 degrees F when it's 69 degrees instead.
I would like to replace this myself and would like to know where it is located in the car, I know it's near the wheel well on the front passenger side or somewhere there, and if it is relatively easy to do. I will replace it with an OEM part. Has anyone replaced this on their own?

It's easy. It's in the right side wheel well. Just turn the wheels to the left, unscrew the few lower inner fender screws and bend it back a little. It's right there at the bottom.

Thank you for your replay. The BMW dealership gave me a hard time getting this info. I replaced the defective part and the CEL was turned off when I turned on the ignition afterward. I closed up the wheel well panel and turned the ignition on and the CEL was turned on again! Ran BimmerLink to get rid of the CEL but to no avail. The temperature is now displaying the correct temperature on the console so it can't be a defective part, or is it? My question is, how do I reset the CEL at this point? Do I need to complete drive cycles to reset? Or use a OBD2 scanner type to clear this? Please advise.

You can't reset CEL codes through BimmerLink? You can through Carly and Bimmercode. If not you may get the people at your auto parts store to reset it for you.

Diagnostics showed the following error that triggered a Check Engine Light (CEL) to turn on onto the Board Console (BC); Intake System: P0071: Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Range / Performance followed by dates first detected to the recent date. To check if this is a defective part, push the BC button to scroll to display the outside temperature on the console. If it shows the two extreme temperatures, -40 degrees, or 120 degrees, this will confirm you will need to order this part number.

BMW (65-81-6-936-953)​

The part should cost around $50.
I have the 2019 ReX US with the driving wheel on the left.
In order to replace the defective part yourself, turn the wheel all the way to the left to gain access to the panel, and on the passenger side wheel well, unbolt the 3 outside screws and the 1 lower screw to peel back the panel. This panel is located towards the front of the tire. The sensor is located in this area. Replace defective sensor with a click. Sensor will only snap in one way.
To test for proper replacement, go to the temperature setting by scrolling the BC button to display the temperature and verify it is now displaying the correct temperature.
If the CEL is still on and neither BimmerCode nor BimmerLink cannot clear the light, use a scanner like the one I purchased, the Ancel Diagnostic Scan Tool from Amazon,(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5EA74I?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) for $20 and you will be able to clear the CEL from the Board Console.

My BMW dealership quoted $115 for the sensor. And about $250 for the one hour labor.

Back